The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

CBL Premium Shave Soap - Ingredients and Process

Just as an aside Chris, and I've said this before...... but the hemp oil base is the best soap I've ever used. I really want to see more soaps in that base!

Just as an aside Chris, and I've said this before...... but the hemp oil base is the best soap I've ever used. I really want to see more soaps in that base!
I may be able to make that happen but it's going to take some work on my end. I am working on some changes to how I mix and store product that may allow me the space and flexibility to have scents in multiple bases.

One ingredient I don't see, and am happy about, is lanolin. I'm in that apparent minority that just doesn't love the face feel of lanolin. I've been searching for top tier soaps without it and to date have only found one. I'm eager to try CBL now!

I don’t mind a good lanolin soap but I’ve never found them over the top unique. I have done a lot of research and exploration and find that oils like grape seed and safflower have a great shave and post shave feel. It turns out a little bit of hemp oil makes an even better face feel. Only a few of my soaps are currently made with hemp oil but that will change in the future.
I don’t like the smell or feel of cocobutter but when added to a soap base along with Shea butter there is a definite improvement.

I don’t mind a good lanolin soap but I’ve never found them over the top unique. I have done a lot of research and exploration and find that oils like grape seed and safflower have a great shave and post shave feel. It turns out a little bit of hemp oil makes an even better face feel. Only a few of my soaps are currently made with hemp oil but that will change in the future.
I don’t like the smell or feel of cocobutter but when added to a soap base along with Shea butter there is a definite improvement.

In my limited and amateur experience with artisan soaps, I think the most benefit from lanolin is when it is added to a non-tallow base soap. But I can see that with a Tallow Base Soap it might not add that much extra.

And Chris...don't ever stop making your hemp oil soap!

In my limited and amateur experience with artisan soaps, I think the most benefit from lanolin is when it is added to a non-tallow base soap. But I can see that with a Tallow Base Soap it might not add that much extra.

And Chris...don't ever stop making your hemp oil soap!
I had never considered it that way Don, makes perfect sense.

I have made more using a slightly different procedure that is much easier to make and seems to be more firm. I’ll have to have you give it a test run to see how it compares to my original hemp.

Back