The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

CBL Premium Shave Soap - Ingredients and Process

CBLSoap.com

a.k.a. CBLindsay
Artisan Retailer
Legacy
Concierge
Making quality shaving soap is about more than having the right ingredients, the process matters. CBL Premium Shave Soap is made in small batches using a process I learned from old (very old) soap making texts. I have refined this process and my ingredients to produce a soap that is easy to lather into your favorite consistency, is slick and protective during your shave and leaves your face feeling great after the shave.

Each tub of CBL Premium Tallow Soap is made with Stearic Acid, Wagyu Beef Tallow, Coconut Oil, Glycerin, Aloe Juice, Potassium Hydroxide, Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, Cetyl Alcohol, Fragrance, Castor Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Bentonite Clay, Citric Acid and Propylene Glycol. Our “Ghost Menthol” uses pure undiluted WS-23 cooling agent, a menthol like product that provides a smooth and lasting chill.

Making shave soap isn’t hard ...making a great soap takes some practice

At the request and urging of a few members of the Cadre, I will make some comments about my choice of ingredients. Before I do I wanted to explain my views on sharing trade secrets. When it comes to making soap the task itself doesn't have to be difficult. Soap making and running a restaurant can both be done by people who have ZERO background in the business. All that is necessary is to identify and use a proven recipe, artistry (if that is the right word) is in how you push the boundaries of those recipes. I have no problem sharing specifics about what i think are the necessary components of a basic soap recipe...I will resist sharing what I have learned through expensive and time consuming experimentation. BUT, I will say that nothing I have found is SO unique you wouldn't be able to find information on the internet or in books that leads you to the same conclusions. I do not fear others who might make soap using the same ingredients I use, I celebrate the ideas that I might be the first to do something and that the soaps made by others will be as good as what I think my soaps are.

Here's my basic ingredient list, I'll go over a few of the more important details and describe what some components do:
Ingredients: Water, Stearic Acid, Wagyu Beef Tallow, Coconut Oil, Glycerin, Aloe Juice, Grapeseed Oil, Safflower Oil, Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter Cetyl Alcohol, Fragrance, Castor Oil, Allantoin, Bentonite Clay, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol

Water- All soaps require a liquid to dissolve the lye in and to allow the resulting soap batter enough opportunity to saponify. I have found that plain tap water in my area is as good as bottled water but in some areas the various solids in the water can really alter the chemistry and resulting soap. Other liquids can be used and will have an impact on the final product. I split the liquid used between water and aloe juice.

Stearic Acid- The stearic acid I use is palm derived but it is possible for it to come from a number of sources. Tallow contains stearic acid as well but not in enough quantity to provide the type of lather most shavers desire. Stearic acid is a key component on shaving soap, it is responsible for the creamy, dense and tight texture of a lather. Without stearic acid in enough quantity you simply won't have the lather you expect. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest a total stearic and palmic acid content between 50 and 60 % is desirable.

Tallow- Tallow has a complex fatty acid profile that adds so many lovely characteristics to soap. It can be moisturizing and pleasing to skin as well as adding a density to the lather. I found that Wagyu beef tallow has a different fatty acid profile than commercial beef tallow and it lends itself to a creamier lather. Bison and duck tallow do the same.

Coconut oil- As a skin conditioning oil coconut oil is great. In soap coconut oil provides the fast and fluffy lather. A simple mix of coconut oil for fast lather and stearic for creamy will make a very nice soap. By itself, Coconut oil is very cleansing and quite slick. At higher amounts it can be drying to the skin.

Grapeseed and Safflower have very good conditioning properties but also result in a very nice slickness. Both absorb very readily into the skin so having some in the lather helps with slickness and face feel.

Shea Butter and cocoa butter are also very luxurious feeling but how and when they are added to the soap mix can impact the final feel. I had been using only shea butter because cocoa butter is very expensive and i dislike the smell and feel of the raw product. It was pure coincidence that i tried cocoa butter again in this recipe but the results speak for themselves ...a most excellent post shave feel.

Cetyl Alcohol- cetyl alcohol is a derivative of coconut oil (can also be obtained from whales and dolphins but i won't say much more about that) that is commonly used in lotions and creams as an emulsifier (holds liquids and fats in suspension). In soap it mimics many characteristics of the much more expensive Jojoba oil and it leaves skin feeling very smooth. THIS is a CBL secret weapon, in the proper amounts this stuff improves everything about a lather...in the wrong amounts it is no bueno.

Castor oil- castor oil has a unique lather boosting effect. Just a little castor oil in a soap (or drops on a puck) will help make a creamy lather even creamier. Too much and the soap feels sticky

Bentonite clay - this stuff helps provide a little extra slip. there are both electrochemical reasons and physical reasons this stuff works in soaps. IT is also a good detoxifier (electrochemistry again) but there isn't enough in the soap to do much in that regard.

Allantoin- an expensive ingredient that has skin healing properties. Honestly, i think this attribute is lost if rotating amongst several soaps, i suspect its best to use allantoin regularly to get the maximum effect. None the less, its a worthwhile ingredient despite its cost.

Citric Acid- adding citric acid to a soap helps to build lather using hard water. How and when it is added to soap also changes the character of the soap (i know this from experimentation). The combination of a little citric acid and enough coconut oil leads to an easier to lather soap.

Glycerol - a natural byproduct of saponification of fats. Pure stearic acid will not produce glycerin so it is necessary to add some to the mix. Glycerin hold moisture and can help with many aspects of the lather. A soap heavy in glycerine and clay can become quite thirsty. Adds to the quality of lather and psot shave feel.

Propylene Glycol- is a derivative of propane (the gas). It is used in SO many areas of our daily life you would be surprised to know. It is a sweetener in foods and drinks and it is a preservative in may products. I use it as a preservative AND as a humectant. It is similar in effect as glycerin. I wont say this is a secret ingredient but i will say you would notice if i left it out. I use very little of this but the little that is present is meaningful.

*WS-23 cooling agent is a menthol-like compound developed by Wilkinson Sword in 1974-75 for use in shaving soaps and aftershaves. Although it had already been in use for years, it was established as safe for use and added to the FEMA GRAS list in 1996. This compound is often marketed under the names "Symcool" and "Koolada" which are used in many food, personal care and tobacco/vape products. It provides a slower acting, longer lasting and smooth cooling effect.

I hope this was exciting and informative.

Great stuff. I remember years ago in this hobby many viewed bentonite clay and other clays as "cheating" to get slickness. This doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

How much of a benefit do you thing it actually adds? And there any justification to those claims 3-5 years ago?

Hey Chris. That's all great info and thanks for sharing.

I was curious about something, and was going to start a new post, but saw this and wondered if you could elaborate a little here.

What are the differences between cold processed and hot processed soaps in the end resulting soap? Pros/Cons of each?

KJ, when it comes to hot and cold process they are technically the same in that the end result is soap. The first difference between them being the amount of water that can be used. A cold process soap has a lower limit to what amount of water you can use because there is much less opportunity for evaporation. A cold process soap will typically look smoother in texture. I happen to think hot process, particularly an extended cook, might mellow the finished product more or at least do it faster.

i think the reason you see most or all shaving soaps made by hot process is the stearic Acid, it is solid at a pretty high temp. To keep the stearic liquid you need a higher initial heat. Add to this the fact that hot stearic Acid saponifys very quickly, several seconds in many cases.

Hope that helps

Great stuff. I remember years ago in this hobby many viewed bentonite clay and other clays as "cheating" to get slickness. This doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

How much of a benefit do you thing it actually adds? And there any justification to those claims 3-5 years ago?
I have played with bentonite clay enough to be confident in saying it does add slip. I think some of the previous issues with adding clay to soap had to do with soap makers adding clay to a body soap and calling it Shave soap, this still happens but the true enthusiasts are wise to the practice. A nice olive oil soap with clay can be quite slick but won’t lather...in truth it works fine if slick is all you want.

Personally i I don’t think clay is needed to get slickness, Tallow and sodium hydroxide produce some pretty wicked slickness. Still, the clay adds a different slickness and can improve the water band so it’s worth adding.

forgot to mention why I use both potassium hydroxide and sodium hydroxide. The potassium hydroxide is about as important as stearic Acid in making Shave soap. It makes a more suluable soap salt that ensures all the soap gets lathered up well. The reason has to do with the chemistry involved and water/soap polarity. Sodium hydroxide makes a harder soap that is a little slower to become dissolved into solution BUT it can make a very slick lather and is a perfect lye for use with tallow.

Love the nerdy stuff. Just to clarify, I think I remember you telling me that the coolada stuff you use is different than menthol. So while I can’t use menthol, I might be able to use your lime. Is that correct?

Love the nerdy stuff. Just to clarify, I think I remember you telling me that the coolada stuff you use is different than menthol. So while I can’t use menthol, I might be able to use your lime. Is that correct?
yes the cooling agent I use is not menthol nor is it a simple stereoisomer, it is a unique compound. Whether or not you can tolerate this cooling agent depends on why you react to menthol. This particular cooling compound acts on the thermoreceptors in a similar fashion as menthol so if your issue is with that pathway you could have a similar reaction.

I will make make sure to get you a sample of soap made with this cooling agent so you can give it a try. It’s too wonderful not to try.

Great Information as always Chris. Folks, I would like to say that I have been dabbling in soap making for over a year now, and I completely intended to put in the R&D similar to what Chris has done in an attempt to figure all of this out and make one of the worlds finest shaving soaps. In the end, it takes almost the same amount of time to make a 4 or an 8 oz. R&D lot as it does a 2 lb. stock up the vanity lot of soap. Long story short, my first formulation made a soap that was as good as many of the good soaps out there. I have done some subtle tweaking of that formulation in an attempt to obtain certain attributes that to me were lacking, but frankly, I just have not had the time (and frankly the motivation given the time constraints) to put all of the legwork into this that Chris clearly has. Chris, I thank you for sharing your ingredients, and the reasoning behind each one.

Oh, and from now on, I am going to be calling my soaps "Half Boiled" instead of Hot Process, thanks to Mr. Gathmann.

Oh, and from now on, I am going to be calling my soaps "Half Boiled" instead of Hot Process, thanks to Mr. Gathmann.
I encourage this line of thought Walt, you will be happy with the results. Keep up the R&D, soap is science and if you apply science to the process you will end up with an awesome soap.

For me, the moment that moved me past the old beta 3 was a willingness to let go of my own bias' and preferences and let the science drive the recipe. I think it is fair to say Lisa (Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations) did the same in her development of her latest line.

Any plans on making some more Ghost Dragon's blood? I enjoy Dragonsblood incense and I am a menthol junky who loves the cooling effects. The ghost pineapple sounds nice too. Can I buy samples?

Any plans on making some more Ghost Dragon's blood? I enjoy Dragonsblood incense and I am a menthol junky who loves the cooling effects. The ghost pineapple sounds nice too. Can I buy samples?
I will probably make more dragons blood and ghost dragons blood in the future but I am not sure I will be doing it in the hemp oil base. The scent is popular and the ghost feature is unique and fun.

I am a lot like you in that I am a menthol junky. I like the ghost (v2) for what it is but it is unlike regular menthol in many ways. What is even better is the v2 ghost AND menthol...that's going to happen in early spring.

I think I have some of the ghost (v2) dragons blood left, probably not enough for a full tub but I am sure I can scrape up a decent sample. PM me an address and I will get a sample to you.

Back