The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

CBL Premium Shave Soap - Anouncments

Just an FYI for those who enjoy a little heads up when new stuff is on the horizon.
CBL soap has a few new things soon to be released. One is an English Lavender scent (along the lines of the vintage Yardley English Lavender). This proceeds from this soap will benefit a non-profit I have worked with for 15+ years, thanks to a generous donation from a fellow TSC member 100% of the regular sales price will go straight to the non-profit...more information will be available on my website when the soap is officially available. This soap is done, we are just waiting for some collateral material and final approval from the non-profit. I have also restocked a few scents and will be continuing to do so. There are also a few refreshing scents on the horizon. My wife thought it appropriate I do a summer cocktail type scent, the final touches are being worked out but expect ginger, lime, cucumber and mint...together or separately depending on how well they play with the tallow base. As always I have a couple “fun” scents in mind but I am going to have one or two of you test sniff the playfull ideas first. Meanwhile the soap bases are mellowing in anticipation of what’s to come.

Just when we don't hear from you in a while, you floor us with this news! My vote for the ginger scent is to pair it with lemongrass. Not quite a cocktail, but very delicious in a stir fry.

Funny story..... wasn't sure where to put this, but thought this was as good as any.

Yesterday when I got to work, I took my thermos out of my backpack, and noticed some coffee had leaked down the side. I grabbed a paper towel and started wiping it up and the coffee scent hit the air...... My brain said hey, that smells familiar....... yeah, it smells exactly like CBL Breakfast Blend! Go figure.... my coffee smelled like his coffee scented soap. LOL

@CBLindsay I dont know if this is the right place but i read somewhere that people can freeze soap to help it keep longer. Is it wise to freeze soap?

@CBLindsay I dont know if this is the right place but i read somewhere that people can freeze soap to help it keep longer. Is it wise to freeze soap?
I don’t know for sure, never done it for long term storage, I don’t see why it would hurt. Most of what would go ‘bad’ in soap would be the oils that are left or added to the soap, if the artisan added milk or other protein to a soap the protein would certainly go bad very quickly. Things that can help the soap go bad are excess moisture and sugars that have not been converted to glycerine (again, from additives like beer and milk). Additives don’t mean a soap WILL go bad but it increases the margin of error, same with fancy oils and butters. That’s why good old vintage soaps last forever and many top tier artisan soaps go rancid in months. Some oils just go rancid in a short time frame. COOL DRY AND DARK are the secret. So if you are going to freeze a soap you must take measures to ensure it stays dry. If it’s a bar of soap wrap it in paper towels and place in a sealed zip lock bag. If it’s a tub, stuff paper towels in the tub and seal tight then place in a zip lock. To thaw I would leave the paper towels in place until the soap is room temp.

I don’t know for sure, never done it for long term storage, I don’t see why it would hurt. Most of what would go ‘bad’ in soap would be the oils that are left or added to the soap, if the artisan added milk or other protein to a soap the protein would certainly go bad very quickly. Things that can help the soap go bad are excess moisture and sugars that have not been converted to glycerine (again, from additives like beer and milk). Additives don’t mean a soap WILL go bad but it increases the margin of error, same with fancy oils and butters. That’s why good old vintage soaps last forever and many top tier artisan soaps go rancid in months. Some oils just go rancid in a short time frame. COOL DRY AND DARK are the secret. So if you are going to freeze a soap you must take measures to ensure it stays dry. If it’s a bar of soap wrap it in paper towels and place in a sealed zip lock bag. If it’s a tub, stuff paper towels in the tub and seal tight then place in a zip lock. To thaw I would leave the paper towels in place until the soap is room temp.
Thanks.

It should not be a surprise to anyone that Chris provides excellent customer service. On a recent order, I asked for him to baggie my soaps rather than ship in containers (I have way too many tubs/bowls/mugs etc... already) and thought it was nice of him to accommodate my request. Now I can hide them in my soap suitcase instead of having to put them under the sink (if they came in tubs), where wifey might find them! 🤪

Thanks Chris!

It should not be a surprise to anyone that Chris provides excellent customer service. On a recent order, I asked for him to baggie my soaps rather than ship in containers (I have way too many tubs/bowls/mugs etc... already) and thought it was nice of him to accommodate my request. Now I can hide them in my soap suitcase instead of having to put them under the sink (if they came in tubs), where wifey might find them! 🤪

Thanks Chris!
It was my pleasure Sam, anything to make is easier to get MORE soaps north of the US border. I’m just happy everything worked out as well as it did, I appreciate your willingness to let me experiment.

Experimentation! That must be why I turned out in life the way I did! Yeah, that's the ticket!

Sort of like I'm the Danny Devito in Awnald's TWINS to the X-MEN's WOLVERINE

Just a quick note for those who are motivated by lower prices...I’ve lowered the prices on pretty much EVERYTHING listed on CBLsoap.com that has been there prior to October. And if I didn’t lower the price I might just toss what ever it is in with some unsuspecting person’s order just to get rid of it. Why? Because I’ve got over 1000 empty tubs, jars and bowls waiting to be filled with brand new CBL soap bases in incredible new scents, labeled with beautiful new labels and put on the shelves currently occupied by old CBL soaps.

And I am unofficially offering custom scented after shave and apothecary oil provided I have the fragrance or essential oils available. CURRENTLY this is available to any who inquire and at no additional charge however beginning 2021 if I still offer this option it will require a small few.

Roasted Oatmeal Stout tonic is now available in limited quantity for those with a ROS hankering...and a soap is t far behind.
A special edition premium Dragons Blood soap is likely to be released in the near future.

Just a quick note for those who are motivated by lower prices...I’ve lowered the prices on pretty much EVERYTHING listed on CBLsoap.com that has been there prior to October. And if I didn’t lower the price I might just toss what ever it is in with some unsuspecting person’s order just to get rid of it. Why? Because I’ve got over 1000 empty tubs, jars and bowls waiting to be filled with brand new CBL soap bases in incredible new scents, labeled with beautiful new labels and put on the shelves currently occupied by old CBL soaps.

And I am unofficially offering custom scented after shave and apothecary oil provided I have the fragrance or essential oils available. CURRENTLY this is available to any who inquire and at no additional charge however beginning 2021 if I still offer this option it will require a small few.

Roasted Oatmeal Stout tonic is now available in limited quantity for those with a ROS hankering...and a soap is t far behind.
A special edition premium Dragons Blood soap is likely to be released in the near future.
You are a Bad Bad man Chris!!!

Order placed and ROS AST is gonna be amazing!

Okay, you got me. 4 x "Grab Bag" order placed. I am excited to see what I get.

I have too much soap in the den, but how can I resist a sale?

Back