The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

CBL Barber Pro: Razor Wiper Review

Luecke3262

“I am the Grail Razor Hunter”
Hobbyist
Hello Gentlemen,

I recently ordered a Barber Pro Razor Wiper from CBL with my soap order. I've tried it out a few times and wanted to give my thoughts and impressions.
IMG_6368.jpg
IMG_6369.jpg
First, it is made out of a soft rubber/silicone material which I cannot imagine would damage a razors edge, if you manage to cut it. This is a massive plus over my current rinse option.... We have a 1930's cast iron pedestal sink with short faucets, this is our only bathroom. Every rinse invites danger, so I take my time and have to run water for the entire shave. It's nice that it can sit out on the shelf with out drawing the wife's ire, saying it looks nasty all covered covered in hair like she did with my sponges.
I took @CBLindsay's advice and rested the wiper on top of my marble brush soaker for my shaves. Chris had mentioned that it would not wipe all the lather off of a blade if it is a full hollow, so I knew this going into my purchase. The shaves I did with the wiper were with a C-Mon Cadillac(full hollow), George Butler, Keen Razor(full hollow) and a Dubl Duck, Satin Wedge. On the first passes, I noticed that I quickly filled up the little well in the center of the wiper, but that is likely due to my lather preferences. It didn't need to be rinsed until after the first pass, but I don't think it would have been able to contain the spent lather for another pass. The technique for using the wiper is somewhat like stropping, pulling the edge of the blade at an angle across the edge of the wiper in a spine leading stropping motion(easy to do). The full hollow Butler & Cadillac were left mostly clean after wiping, but the hollows did maintain a small amount of lather, as expected. I don't feel like this affected the quality of my shave whatsoever. Now, with the wedge, it wiped ~99% of the lather off of the blade, on the first wipe! On the second and third passes, I didn't need to rinse the wiper at all and it held the lather perfectly(Lather wasn't as fluffy due to being watered down). At the finish of the shave, I easily rinsed it off with hot water and it came completely clean with little to no soap residue. I did manage to put a small nick in the wiper with my Butler, on the first or second wipe...
IMG_6370.jpgIMG_6371.jpg
Conclusion: I feel that this is a simple to use solution for my daily shaving routine. It saves my blade from being beat up on the faucet and helps me save on my water bill. The durability test will take some time and I'll be sure to report back on how long it ends up lasting, but I'm sure this is variable, dependent on the user's care. I cannot imagine that accidentally cutting the wiper could hurt your edge, maybe very minimally, but stropping would clear up any "damage." The ease of cleanup is nice too, just a quick rinse, then shake the excess water off, and allow to dry. I'm not too sure how to rate this item, but I'd put it in the nice to have category and it is super affordable too.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts from my first use this morning with my new Mythus folding AC razor I ordered from Chris. Again, it took mist of the lather off and what was left was no big deal. Something I did out of curiosity that worked was giving my sink a quick rinse and pushed it against the surface right at the top like a suction cup. It stayed put during my shower and entire shave no problem and for me personally, the angle used to wipe it precludes any chance of hitting the sink itself unless I just wasn't looking.
20201030_195037.jpg

That pretty much sums up my thoughts from my first use this morning with my new Mythus folding AC razor I ordered from Chris. Again, it took mist of the lather off and what was left was no big deal. Something I did out of curiosity that worked was giving my sink a quick rinse and pushed it against the surface right at the top like a suction cup. It stayed put during my shower and entire shave no problem and for me personally, the angle used to wipe it precludes any chance of hitting the sink itself unless I just wasn't looking.
View attachment 39155
That's excellent! I'll have to give that a try, but I think the more vertical angel of my sink may not be as suited to this method. I'll try it tomorrow though, great Hack!

i like it, especially for a razor with a more wedge like grind. but i keep going between that and a big sponge. can't decide which one i prefer over the other.
I haven’t tried a sponge yet. I just live on the edge and rinse in the sink.

Old school
tenor.gif

I've been using the razor wiper for the last few weeks and have come to enjoy it. I only rinse the razor between passes, but I suppose I don't even need to do that if I don't want to. The material has held up well and has had no effect on my edges. So, if you are looking for a safe way to wipe your blade and not tap it on the sink or faucet, this is a great option. I'll let you guys know how it holds up, long term.

I have tried both for extended periods and i find it a bit too small and it fills up quite fast. As mentioned in a shave video the big round sponge does a few things. It sits in my sink at just the right level i cam keep it wet so it not only cleans the razor off but adds a bot of water for the next past ( think sushi knife ). Cleans up right in the sink. I think either option is a great way to keep the blades clean and not ruining them

For me, neither a sponge nor this rubber lip are an option. If a sponge is not put in the washing machine after use, it becomes unhygienic. The rubber lip fills with foam too quickly and dulls the knife if an accidental cut is made.
My approach is limited to wiping it on the heel of my hand, which you always have on your person when traveling and doesn't fill your toiletry bag unnecessarily. Of course, you need to be careful, but that's necessary when using a straight razor anyway.

IMG_20231228_115505.jpg

Back