The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Cattey Creations Barber's Razor & Tangerine Creeper

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
This morning's shave with my new Cattey Creations Barber Razor.

One thing of note...I accidentally let slip a word almost at the end. Sorry if there are any issues with it. I couldn't figure out hoe to bleep it.

Put a little more water in your lather Don. Straights like a slicker lather. It looked like it was pulling a little bit where it got you the first time.

Wrong handed in a mirror is a little tricky to figure out isn't it?
1f61c.png
You almost have to trust what your hand is doing more than watching what it is doing or you tend to over-think it. You are off to a good start though.

A good straight edge will actually be a bit more forgiving than the DE blade will in that type of scenario also. DE blades usually have a different shaving angle they are honed for as well as a series of micro bevels on them making the final apex a little steeper angle. Still useable, just not the same feel.

Keep at it though, you will get it!

Great shave Don! You took a couple knocks for science and another for entertainment, but soldiered through. You are such a crack up!

Maybe try clipping the blade corners for a while? Definitely practice those funny faces and skin stretches.

You’ll be a Pro in no time!

Put a little more water in your lather Don. Straights like a slicker lather. It looked like it was pulling a little bit where it got you the first time.

Wrong handed in a mirror is a little tricky to figure out isn't it?
1f61c.png
You almost have to trust what your hand is doing more than watching what it is doing or you tend to over-think it. You are off to a good start though.

A good straight edge will actually be a bit more forgiving than the DE blade will in that type of scenario also. DE blades usually have a different shaving angle they are honed for as well as a series of micro bevels on them making the final apex a little steeper angle. Still useable, just not the same feel.

Keep at it though, you will get it!
Great shave Don! You took a couple knocks for science and another for entertainment, but soldiered through. You are such a crack up!

Maybe try clipping the blade corners for a while? Definitely practice those funny faces and skin stretches.

You’ll be a Pro in no time!

Thanks guys! Yeah...it was actually a lot harder than the straights I used a handful of times. By the time I "finished" that pass...I was like...nope I'm outta here! Anyway...I didn't think the shave was going to go well...that's partly why I decided to video it. You guys need someone to laugh at around here!

Yeah, I'll get it...but man that was not a great shave. Probably won't shave again until Thursday at the earliest! Thanks for watching guys!

I am sorry I laughed. I feel bad. But my favorite lines

That didn't take long

Yup this is fun!

That's not gonna work

Also you got beat up enough we can let the swear slide this time lol!

But in all seriousness that razor is beautiful and I'm tempted to get one to conquer it.

I am sorry I laughed. I feel bad. But my favorite lines

That didn't take long

Yup this is fun!

That's not gonna work

Also you got beat up enough we can let the swear slide this time lol!

But in all seriousness that razor is beautiful and I'm no tempted to get one to conquer it.

Thanks Chad! Like I said earlier...I KNEW I was going to have an issue...as it was the first shave with a shavette EVER! The reason I recorded it was for entertainment purposes.

The razor is really a work or art. Rob Cattey does some pretty awesome stuff. He basically asked me what type of woods I wanted and what style. He hand crafts all of his work!

Good video, got to tip my hat to you for filming your first shave! Hopefully you didn’t need to many stitches!

I salute you Don, not just for the barber razor shave but doing it first time on video. Great 1st shave with it. With some perseverance "You got this"

Good video, got to tip my hat to you for filming your first shave! Hopefully you didn’t need to many stitches!
I salute you Don, not just for the barber razor shave but doing it first time on video. Great 1st shave with it. With some perseverance "You got this"

Thanks guys! No...not too many "stitches" at all. And I appreciate you guys for watching. I know this one was a bit long and most of it was painful to watch...but I do appreciate it!

Do you need someone to show you how to use that thing??

I might! And apparently I do. Just kidding. To be honest...I was anticipating something like a straight...but the angle of the shavette is really much different. I'll get it...I just need to cut myself a few more times!@

OMG you didn't use Florida Water after that did you? Florida Water is serious stuff on a good day, I can't imagine it following your first time with the barber razor.

Before I came to the DE world I tried to use a Magic Razor (cheaper version of a shavette style razor) several times. Each and every time i used that thing i got a racing stripe on each cheek exactly where you got yours. I saw that slip of your hand and cringed because I know how that goes. My Magic experience is why was so hesitant to try a straight razor but I have to say I rarely get bit like i did with the shavette. I am so traumatized that i get a little shaky when I even think of using the little barber razor I got.

My only advice...lay that spine down on your face and stretch well.

OMG you didn't use Florida Water after that did you? Florida Water is serious stuff on a good day, I can't imagine it following your first time with the barber razor.

Before I came to the DE world I tried to use a Magic Razor (cheaper version of a shavette style razor) several times. Each and every time i used that thing i got a racing stripe on each cheek exactly where you got yours. I saw that slip of your hand and cringed because I know how that goes. My Magic experience is why was so hesitant to try a straight razor but I have to say I rarely get bit like i did with the shavette. I am so traumatized that i get a little shaky when I even think of using the little barber razor I got.

My only advice...lay that spine down on your face and stretch well.

Thanks Chris! No, I did not use Florida Water. Even me, who is only "smrt" smart, knew better than that!

I shared the link with the razor maker and he loves the video so much, he wants to use it for his shows. Now I know people are laughing at me...mission accomplished!

Thanks Chris! No, I did not use Florida Water. Even me, who is only "smrt" smart, knew better than that!

I shared the link with the razor maker and he loves the video so much, he wants to use it for his shows. Now I know people are laughing at me...mission accomplished!

Use it for his show? Sounds cool. I was looking at his etsy... so close to buying. Hope you invited him here!

Use it for his show? Sounds cool. I was looking at his etsy... so close to buying. Hope you invited him here!

I most definitely did! I'll reach out again to him in a bit and make sure he gets good info on how to find the place.

What I mean by show is that he goes to trade shows, farmer markets, shave Meetups, and such. He is out of San Diego. He said he does a fair amount of business with actual barbers. I think he is running a $10 off promotion now on Instagram.

Tell em Don sent you, they'll throw in a free styptic pencil.

Back