The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Brush question

John Paul

Jr. Shave Member
I’m thinking of investing in a top quality brush. I’d like to try one of the old-school British ones, I have my eye on a Simpsons Persia jar 3 in best, or a polo 8 in best.. I’m a face latherer, and am a big guy, 6”3 that takes an xl glove,so I want one with a good size handle that’s easy for me to hold on to. However, I’ve been reading a lot of great things about Paladin, and Would like some of your opinions. Thank you and merry Christmas to everyone from Detroit Michigan, the motor city

Never tried any of the classic Brit brushes. I do have a Paladin though…great knot in it (soft tips with great density) and very nice handle styles (I have a Harlequin color scheme in the Chief style).
DB955C6D-547F-47B9-84F7-4C83A4F83178.jpeg

I’ve tried both paladins and simpsons. I’ve gotten rid of all of my simpsons except for one that I keep for sentimental reasons. I have about 25 paladins. I find them to be much softer and hold onto lather better. I think you’ll find a 28mm Paladin to be right up your alley.

Are they all 2 band badger? I never tried that hair before, and read it’s pretty stiff.
From their website:

At present, we only offer knots containing what is commonly referred to as 2-band badger hair, the characteristics of which combine resilient (springy) shafts with soft tips. High quality knots of this type are prized for their overall performance.The resilience of 2-band hair confers optimal backbone without excessive density. As a result, 2-band knots typically deliver superior lather production and flow-through without sacrificing comfort in use. We offer these knots first and foremost because they are what we prefer to use ourselves.

I will speak up on behalf of Simpson brushes. I have the Cubby 3 30 mm in both the Super Badger and Manchurian. Yes, they are expensive, but well worth the price. Both are densely packed, but lather magnificently. As an alternative, take a look at QEDUSA’s Manchurian Badger with much softer bristles, not as densely packed, float across the face like a dream, reasonably priced. I have four of them. Both Simpson and QED highly recommended.

I’ve heard QED brushes are very good…Aren’t they private label Shavemac’s? I saw on the shavemac website you can have a brush custom made , however you want..

I’ve heard QED brushes are very good…Aren’t they private label Shavemac’s? I saw on the shavemac website you can have a brush custom made , however you want..
QEDUSA.COM is operated by Daniel who is the is the US distributor for Savile Row brushes. This link below will take you to the QED Select Manchurian Silvertip Badger page. Without fear of contradiction, these brushes are unique: the softest, yet with backbone, feels like a cloud of velvet lather floating across your face, and reasonably priced. From Plisson High Mountain White, to Simpson Manchurian or Super Badger, which cost hundreds of dollars, these QED brushes will make you feel like you are in a shaver’s paradise. This not a commercial, but my own experience.

Back