The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Brush of the Day

Had to get one of those. How does it compare with the Zenith boar?
Hi, Mark. Lemme try to be succinct. See photo below of all boar or boar mix brushes. See top row; 5 brushes.

boar.jpg

Zenith, Semogue SOC boar, Semogue SOC Mistura (2), and Semogue C5 Torga boar (24mm x 50mm). I do have 2 brushes coming in: a Shavemac 22/46 d01 and the Zenith copper short and scrubby B41, 24mm. I've had many brushes including boars. I've sold some, only to buy them back again. Kinda like bass guitars, right? I would be a rich man today if I stopped at a Precision bass and a Bassman.

Anyway, the Zenith and the 2 Misturas are the most comfortable (right out of the box, and certainly within the first handful of shaves or wet/dry cycles) and especially the Mistura; it's the brush I could use forever (if I only had 3). The ivory Mistura is just like the butterscotch Mistura that you have (should be).

The other Semogue boars are also very nice, but for me they took 20-30 wet/dry cycles before they softened to comfortable although w/ desirable backbone. BTW, I use mostly hard soaps; MdC, SV, and PdP. I like to lather the boars like I'm murdering the soap. For me this helps to speed up the break-in process.

With all of this, YMMV. We all have different faces, techniques, etc.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have other questions.

Hi, Mark. Lemme try to be succinct. See photo below of all boar or boar mix brushes. See top row; 5 brushes.

View attachment 107242

Zenith, Semogue SOC boar, Semogue SOC Mistura (2), and Semogue C5 Torga boar (24mm x 50mm). I do have 2 brushes coming in: a Shavemac 22/46 d01 and the Zenith copper short and scrubby B41, 24mm. I've had many brushes including boars. I've sold some, only to buy them back again. Kinda like bass guitars, right? I would be a rich man today if I stopped at a Precision bass and a Bassman.

Anyway, the Zenith and the 2 Misturas are the most comfortable (right out of the box, and certainly within the first handful of shaves or wet/dry cycles) and especially the Mistura; it's the brush I could use forever (if I only had 3). The ivory Mistura is just like the butterscotch Mistura that you have (should be).

The other Semogue boars are also very nice, but for me they took 20-30 wet/dry cycles before they softened to comfortable although w/ desirable backbone. BTW, I use mostly hard soaps; MdC, SV, and PdP. I like to lather the boars like I'm murdering the soap. For me this helps to speed up the break-in process.

@MarkB ’s next question is how many more applicants are you accepting on the will?

View attachment 107242

Excellent breakdown! Thanks, brother. And yes, I know exactly what you mean about bass guitars. 🤪

View attachment 107242

Thank you. Very nice post.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tux, 24/53
3d3820db775c1cbfd9b62687ee6fc639.jpg

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Back