The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Breaking from my long-standing Vintage-Only tradition: Blackbird Inbound!

Granite.Glasser

Shave Member
Greetings all!

BACKGROUND:
Ever since I began my wet shaving tradition (about 5 years ago now), I have relied exclusively upon my vintage Gillette "Pre -War" (1938-45) Fat Handle Tech razor,... yep, the model with the triangular lather slots.
In particular, I have a special affection for my very well worn Tech whereby a good portion of the underlying brass material is showing through on the handle and along the edges of the cap and base plate due to the nickel plating having been worn off form MANY years of faithful service! This is my favorite and ultimate "go to" razor, even above my other identical vintage Gillette "Pre -War" (1938-45) Fat Handle Tech that is in very near mint condition with no visible wear whatsoever and a splendid mirror finish. For some reason, my well worn tech just seems to perform better -- it likely has just learned HOW to perform over the years. My opinion on the matter is that the worn off, rounded edges and corners have made this a more comfortable razor to use than its mint condition stablemate, which retains much more sharp and angular edges and corners. Just my impression.

INCOMING:
Yes, as you may have surmised by this point, I have decided to incorporate a more modern, premium razor into my wet shaving ensemble. To that end, and after extensive research, I have ordered a brand spankin' new Blacklland Blackbird razor (in polished stainless steel and with the safety bar base plate). Yeah, I highly considered the Titanium option, but I was really impressed with the more-refined look of the exquisitely polished 303 steel! I also think I will prefer the weight and overall feel of the steel over the titanium. Being a vintage guy at heart, I believe I will continue to cherish and use my vintage Gillettes, but I also am convinced that I am sufficiently READY to work a modern marvel into my shave routine.

UPDATES SURE TO FOLLOW:
I will, of course, take some time to learn the ins and outs of this razor before passing any judgement. And I do look forward to sharing my impressions with my fellow "Cadre" brothers and sisters at some point when I do feel able for formulate a meaningful assessment of the Blackbird. Lets just hope that the Blackbird and the Techs will get along nicely together in the same drawer and that my line-up of Simpsons brushes will welcome a newcomer to the scene as well.

Here is a photo from the email I received from Blackland Razors indicating that my Blackbird is in flight and will be landing someday soon:
NxxSOwZ_rb8-E-_B43M80vmJPOKIcV_TrL5FmzNiXfUdD-5SbJJ8KpLUji_6hx17hBqJsDz3UE_jMBGBGJtimBhmy13tFV-FQG2DP2-HH1pUdVtm05AscKUIPqqNywSRaBRvM3JP6TUkoXvTNPx-jtaKFQSp1Akr=s0-d-e1-ft

Best Regards,

Bobby G.
Kalamazoo, Michigan

Yep, it was the Smart Helix that got me. Other than a couple of Fatips they are the only non vintage razors I have. But the Blackland adjustable will probably change that when it comes out.

Last edited:
Back