The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bourbon/Scotch/Other Whisk(e)y Recommendation Thread

Incorrect. Midleton Barry Crocket is THE essence of whiskey.

Edit: Ah you were speaking of the physical bottle only. I was thinking "best bottle of all whiskeys".

midleton_barry_crockett.jpg
The whiskey in the Blanton's bottle is sub-par in my opinion, but the physical bottle is very pretty.

Well, as been typical lately everywhere Sharon and I go, they are either out of something, or waiting on it. NOT one of the recommendations received were in stock today at my Local Total Wine... So much for big box stores, LOL Did not quite feel like hunting the smaller "liquor store haunts" but was lucky to meet a local Bourbon Collector. We go to talking and I mentioned the items above and he recommended the one I placed in the Speakeasy thread. SO thanks again for the recs and next time I hope to go when it is not stocking day, LOL

I had some more of one of my bottles of Maker's Mark Cask Strength last night. That is seriously good bourbon, and it is easy to get.

of all places went to my local Safeway ( Grocery Store ) and they had Rare Breed, Buffalo Trace, Knob creek 9yr Go Figure, LOL Still hunting down EJC Barrel Proof

of all places went to my local Safeway ( Grocery Store ) and they had Rare Breed, Buffalo Trace, Knob creek 9yr Go Figure, LOL Still hunting down EJC Barrel Proof
People have found Blanton’s from time to time around here.

@BarberDave Safeway/Albertsons is a MASSIVE national account for all liquor producers with large buying power, so you might be surprised at what you can find there on a regular basis!

Alberta Premium Cask Strength Rye 132 proof
Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve 9 year 120 proof
Wild Turkey Rare Breed BP 116.8 proof
Weller Antigue 107 proof
Wild Turkey 101 proof
Knob Creek 9 year 100 proof
Four Roses Single Barrel 100 proof
High West Campfire 92 proof
Michter's US 1 Small Batch Bourbon 92 proof
Weller Special Reserve 90 proof
Wild Turkey Longbranch 86 proof *** hands down the one I am going to pour first at the end of a "day"

Any and all are tasty...Scotch is a much longer list... :D

Wild Turkey Longbranch 86 proof *** hands down the one I am going to pour first at the end of a "day"
Nice list.

I just recently watched a YT video review of Longbranch (can't recall the channel name) and it did not get much love. The guy basically said to skip it and go for either WT101 or Rare Breed. I thought the last bottle of Longbranch I had was vary good and certainly worth buying again.

@Somnos have you ever tried much of the Forty Creek Whisky's? Opinions? I have only had (or seen) their lower cost offering, I believe it is the Barrel Select that I can get localy for around $20 USD.

I just recently watched a YT video review of Longbranch (can't recall the channel name) and it did not get much love. The guy basically said to skip it and go for either WT101 or Rare Breed. I thought the last bottle of Longbranch I had was vary good and certainly worth buying again.
Based on discussions I've had with others within the industry as well as fellow bourbon fans, it kinda looks like the broader Wild Turkey portfolio tends to appeal more to the "aficionados" when it comes to a daily drinker compared to large brands like Jack or Jim. They're mostly big on flavor and proof with WT101 consistently one of the first things people recommend once you get your metaphoric feet wet in bourbon. Step up to the RR line, both Small Batch and Single Barrels are widely praised and still considered affordable against the comparative set. Rare Breed generally fits that profile too. I think Longbranch gets a lot of flack from this subset of bourbon drinkers for the perceived "value" in relation to other liquid in their line. At least around here, It's $13 more than WT101 which hurts. It's also line priced to the RR SmB 10 year, which not only has the 2 additional years going for it but also higher proof.

All of that said, the best advice I've ever heard when it comes to bourbon - the right way to drink it is "any damn way you please!"

Last edited:
Longbranch is good, and I really enjoyed the bottle. But I'll admit when at the liquor store I just grab the 101. If Longbranch in my opinion was at least cut a higher proof I think it would be a better deal. Also I think it gets a lot of bad reviews because of the mesquite staves they add at the end. Mesquite is not a common flavor profile in whiskey.

Another bourbon that you should try, if you can find it is New Riff. I have a single barrel expression from them that is really, really yummy.

Back