The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bone Broth

WOW, nice grab Don

Yup! Found a good quality source of bones! that is if I ever get through the supply I currently have!
1f604.png

I love how th house smells when I'm making bone broth. After roasting the bones, I simmer mine for two days and keep adding water to get as much minerals out of the bones as possible. I add some salt, pepper, and chipotle. It is my favorite winter drink up here in the North East. I drink it out of a coffee mug.

I love how th house smells when I'm making bone broth. After roasting the bones, I simmer mine for two days and keep adding water to get as much minerals out of the bones as possible. I add some salt, pepper, and chipotle. It is my favorite winter drink up here in the North East. I drink it out of a coffee mug.

I'm too impatient for a slow simmer...that's why I use a pressure cooker. I haven't roasted my bones yet but it is definitely on the horizon.

Welcome to TSC @Jellodancer !!!

Found a really good source for chicken feet and chicken backs for my chicken bone broth. Really happy about this! Making some chicken bone broth this morning!

1597927455452.png

Cool topic. I've never done the bone broth thing, but one of my business partners also is into it.
I've been supplementing collagen off and on for a while now.
I suppose you know to take it with a little vitamin C.

Some interesting things I dug up about it last year. You need to be a little careful with collagen if you're prone to kidney stones. If find I do best if I don't go over about a tablespoon per day. But it looks like the thing in collagen that's providing the benefits is a simple amino acid, glycine. Which is actually pretty inexpensive and our diets generally don't have enough of it.

The other side benefit of glycine is it can help you sleep better.

Cool topic. I've never done the bone broth thing, but one of my business partners also is into it.
I've been supplementing collagen off and on for a while now.
I suppose you know to take it with a little vitamin C.

Some interesting things I dug up about it last year. You need to be a little careful with collagen if you're prone to kidney stones. If find I do best if I don't go over about a tablespoon per day. But it looks like the thing in collagen that's providing the benefits is a simple amino acid, glycine. Which is actually pretty inexpensive and our diets generally don't have enough of it.

The other side benefit of glycine is it can help you sleep better.
I actually didn't know that about the Vitamin C. I will definitely look that up.

As far as the collagen and over doing it? A lot of stuff that I have read says the same thing, but the basis is founded on a typical western diet (heavy on the refined grains and sugars...in other words...not a good diet at all). It's when the diet gets cleaned up that this doesn't become a problem. Though most of this is just anecdotal and no real proof. I think in a natural form...like bone broth...you can probably do more. But I have really no idea and each person is different. Tolerances can vary.

I am using the bone broth for making soups and in cooking. I have also started doing between a quarter to half a cup before bed for the glycine like you talk about. As far as glycine goes...I have heard of people getting a high quality gelatin (which also has a lot of glycine in it) and making a "jello" out of just gelatin and coconut water and then consuming a big portion of that before bed. I haven't tried that yet...but I am willing to try!

I normally make bone broth from beef bones I get from a local butcher. This is mostly for my dogs. I don't believe the bones are from grass fed and grass finished cattle...but they are local...and not part of a feed lot...and are definitely not from Walmart. Anyway...I use those some. But this chicken is a better quality. The dogs might get a little...but it will mostly be for me and the wife.

There are a lot of people who swear by a very slow cook, slow simmer process to make bone broth. Simmering bones and cartilage for 24 to 36 hours. I don't do that. I use a pressure cooker (my Instant Pot) and cook them for four hours. It comes out great! And does not take nearly as long. Once timer goes off...I let the Instant Pot depressurize naturally (otherwise it makes a huge mess if I manually release the pressure). So that takes another two hours or so. Then I just strain...let it cool and then when that fat rises to the top and solidifies...I pull that off. And then I have bone broth!

I think you're right, it would be hard to overdo the bone broth.
Nice to see someone else doing the glycine thing. I just add a tiny scoop of powdered vitamin C to a shake I make before bed, but why not gelatin? It's all the same idea.

Had the glycine helped with your sleep at all?

Had the glycine helped with your sleep at all?
Honestly...I have only done it a few times. I had a couple good nights of sleep and one not so good. But I had some other factors that played into it. I'd like to get a couple of weeks into the experiment to make a judgement. I'll let you know!

On an unrelated topic (sort of)...my wife saw a dietician recently (who I was not impressed with) who right out of the gate told her that bone broth and fermented vegetables were a fad. Sure...I'll buy that...I mean...it's only been a fad for thousands of years.

Honestly...I have only done it a few times. I had a couple good nights of sleep and one not so good. But I had some other factors that played into it. I'd like to get a couple of weeks into the experiment to make a judgement. I'll let you know!

On an unrelated topic (sort of)...my wife saw a dietician recently (who I was not impressed with) who right out of the gate told her that bone broth and fermented vegetables were a fad. Sure...I'll buy that...I mean...it's only been a fad for thousands of years.

For sure! Gut health and microbiome is one of the big areas right now, and it's nothing to do with being a fad. (A true rarity in the world of health and nutrition!)

Fermented foods don't make a huge difference, but are more than likely beneficial. Well a lot of things that really work don't make huge impacts. There are a few good interviews with Gabrielle Fundaro about this stuff if you feel like checking it out.

Joint issues are one of the main problems for older folks and every advantage you can get is probably worth it, especially when things like bone broth don't have any real downsides.

I find the glycine helps for a bit then you get. used to it and have to go off it a bit before bed. The main thing I notice is it helps me be able to get back to sleep when I wake up in the middle of the night.

especially when things like bone broth don't have any real downsides.
This is my thing. Okay...so someone doesn't believe that a food, supplement, or what have you really works. If you have done your research and have determined it was safe for you...then what is the harm? Humans have been using broths for thousands of years for health and culinary reasons. It has protein in it...as well as calcium, potassium, magnesium, as well as other beneficial nutrients. It is easy to digest. So what is the issue here? I don't need a dietician telling me I shouldn't consume bone broth...but yet touts the benefits of a hot dog bun (seriously...his food chart that he gave to my wife had "half of a hot dog or hamburger bun" as an acceptable form of starch for a healthy diet. Don't get me wrong...I have eaten my share of white bread in my life...but I would never describe a hot dog bun as healthy.

This is my thing. Okay...so someone doesn't believe that a food, supplement, or what have you really works. If you have done your research and have determined it was safe for you...then what is the harm? Humans have been using broths for thousands of years for health and culinary reasons. It has protein in it...as well as calcium, potassium, magnesium, as well as other beneficial nutrients. It is easy to digest. So what is the issue here? I don't need a dietician telling me I shouldn't consume bone broth...but yet touts the benefits of a hot dog bun (seriously...his food chart that he gave to my wife had "half of a hot dog or hamburger bun" as an acceptable form of starch for a healthy diet. Don't get me wrong...I have eaten my share of white bread in my life...but I would never describe a hot dog bun as healthy.

Hot dog bun? Seriously? Most nutritionists would be tickled pink to know you're making bone broth.

Most nutritionists would be tickled pink to know you're making bone broth.
I think that is were we have the issue. I have dealt with a few dieticians. And while the ones I have dealt with are well intentioned and well educated...they have always been "on script." No individualization or creativity. It's the same old same old...eggs are bad...margarine and canola oil are the preferred fats...protein sparingly and all the fat trimmed from it. All this tells me is they haven't read a nutritional study that wasn't paid for by a food company in the last 10 years.

Nutritionists and Dieticians in the states doesn't mean the same things always. Sometimes they do...and other times they don't. Additionally, the nutritional standards in the EU are slightly different than in the states. By and large a nutritionist here in the states (but depending on the state) doesn't need the same formal education that dieticians need. There are many Nutritionists, however, that are very educated. But...Dieticians are bound by a Standard of Care that really can't be deviated from. Hence the "on script" remark. I don't blame the person (okay...sure I do) but I do blame the system. It's flawed. And while I am sure that a dietician can take a person that only eats Poptarts and pizza rolls and make them healthier, I really think that they will take a person who is eating well already...and make them sick. It's my opinion only obviously. A nutritionist in the state has the ability to look at a person and determine if they need more or fewer carbs in their diet. Or if they need more or less protein i their diet. Eat certain vegetables to achieve certain goals. Add more healthy fats. Like I said before...we are all different and there shouldn't be a one size fits all approach to health and nutrition. Standard of care in my opinion will keep a bad health professional from doing some really bad things to people. But Standard of Care also takes exceptional health professionals and hampers them from really helping some people out. I know there are people on this forum that will definitely disagree with me...and that is fine. I mean...when it comes down to it...I have no health related education outside of combat field treatment, first aid, and CPR.

But I don't need someone with a Master's degree to tell me a hot dog bun is healthy. Because in no world is it remotely healthy!

Sorry for the rant! Carry on now...move along...nothing to see here! 🤪

Back