The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Boar Help Please

Which Omega?
My understanding is that while knot diameter and loft are particular to each model, the actual bristles used are not. The only grading that Omega does on the bristles is whether they are good enough to use in their brushes. Several people have bought two of the same brush model at the same time and reported differences in the bristle. So you could have an Omega boar that you don't like, by another of the same model, and get one that you like. I've had good luck with the two Omegas that I own and would not hesitate a second to buy another.

I also like the backbone and scrub that Omegas are known for. YMMV

I like that handle a lot. How’s the backbone & scrub? Did it take long to break in? The Mondial I ordered is supposed to be very light backbone, which I prefer.
Backbone is moderate in my opinion. Leaning more towards softer. As I recall it broke in rather quickly. It has a nice face feel.

Backbone is moderate in my opinion. Leaning more towards softer. As I recall it broke in rather quickly. It has a nice face feel.
Sounds nice. I'm going to give the Mondial a shot before I plunge into more. At least that's what I think at this moment. As we all know, our shopping carts mysteriously get items added, then more mysteriously, the "Check Out" button gets pushed. How's that happen?

The B&B Essential is probably the best boar I’ve used right out of the box, but my favorite is the Semogue 1470, which uses high grade bristles in a simple plain wooden handle. It may be Semogue’s least expensive boat brush.

After a few more soakings, test lathers & various "dry" rubbing I think My RazoRock/Zenith boar is coming around!! I used it today and it worked very well. Not quite "there, there", but getting close. :)

I have had a number of Semogues, and to a brush all started to lose hair or the knot began to loosen after 6-8 months. I have one Omega that is in my rotation for the last year and half. No problems.
Do you soak the whole brush prior to the shave?

Or do you use hot water for your soaking?

Those practices often cause problems down the road.

I have several Semogues with no problems.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Do you soak the whole brush prior to the shave?

Or do you use hot water for your soaking?

Those practices often cause problems down the road.

I have several Semogues with no problems.

Thanks for the advice. I do not soak the whole brush and use very warm tap water for soaking. Same thing I do with all my brushes. Semogues are the only ones to consistently have problems.

Thanks for the advice. I do not soak the whole brush and use very warm tap water for soaking. Same thing I do with all my brushes. Semogues are the only ones to consistently have problems.
Interesting. Well they're easy enough to glue back in if the knot comes off the handle. Just a bit of silicone is what I use to set my knots.

Hoping I could inject a question into this help post, as I'm curious what's going on with my new Boar...

So the other night I used a 26mm shoat (boar) brush to give it a test run. It only had 4 or so break in lathers. Unfortunately, my brush mug wasn't readily available, so I just soaked it in the sink. It was submerged to the hilt and after maybe 5 minutes I squeezed out the water and lathered from the puck (Fine Lavender Pour Homme). I must have done 50-60 swirls of varying directions and pressure. I then palm lathered for a short bit, adding water in drops. For all my trouble, I got one good pass out of the lather.

My questions, for the Boar experts here: What could be going on? Is it just not broken in yet? Did I do something wrong... Too much water, maybe?

Just curious as I've had success with other Boars and this one is so nice feeling, I absolutely want it to work out. Thanks!

Hoping I could inject a question into this help post, as I'm curious what's going on with my new Boar...

So the other night I used a 26mm shoat (boar) brush to give it a test run. It only had 4 or so break in lathers. Unfortunately, my brush mug wasn't readily available, so I just soaked it in the sink. It was submerged to the hilt and after maybe 5 minutes I squeezed out the water and lathered from the puck (Fine Lavender Pour Homme). I must have done 50-60 swirls of varying directions and pressure. I then palm lathered for a short bit, adding water in drops. For all my trouble, I got one good pass out of the lather.

My questions, for the Boar experts here: What could be going on? Is it just not broken in yet? Did I do something wrong... Too much water, maybe?

Just curious as I've had success with other Boars and this one is so nice feeling, I absolutely want it to work out. Thanks!
Sounds like my SOC experience. I don't know what causes this and it's hard to make sense of it scientifically. I've never had this problem with Omegas. The guy that I gave my SOC to did say that it improved with a long break in. I was not going to put up with such poor performance for even a tenth of what I think it took.

Sounds like my SOC experience. I don't know what causes this and it's hard to make sense of it scientifically. I've never had this problem with Omegas. The guy that I gave my SOC to did say that it improved with a long break in. I was not going to put up with such poor performance for even a tenth of what I think it took.
Thanks for the reply. That's what I was figuring... Probably just not broken in yet.

I'm working on so many different fronts, breaking in 4 brushes at once. If I had no others to work with, I'd probably be inclined to not waste my time. Since I have to go to the sink daily to break one or more in anyway, might as well keep this one going and see how it works down the road.

Much appreciated!

Probably just need some more uses.

Sure doesn't sound like you're adding too much water at all.

Additionally, I think two SOC brushes that I have started up were comfortable to use and were no longer eating lather in less than 15 shaves.

And my personal opinion is that you shouldn't use conditioner on them or a shampoo that has conditioner included because the silicone in that can block up the hair follicles from absorbing water like they should. And so my assumption is that would retard the breaking in of the brush.

(Sent from mobile)

Probably just need some more uses.

Sure doesn't sound like you're adding too much water at all.

Additionally, I think two SOC brushes that I have started up were comfortable to use and were no longer eating lather in less than 15 shaves.

And my personal opinion is that you shouldn't use conditioner on them or a shampoo that has conditioner included because the silicone in that can block up the hair follicles from absorbing water like they should. And so my assumption is that would retard the breaking in of the brush.

(Sent from mobile)
Interesting. I'll definitely steer clear of conditioner.

Since my post I've done a handful more break-in lathers. It seems to be producing more. Since I didn't apply it to my face (over and over), I can't gauge exactly how much... But it certainly seems like more.

Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated. Have a great day!

Back