The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Blade Recommendations

SteveChuckFrank

Close Enough*
Not sure if this is the right place for this, so please let me know if it’s not.

I don’t know anything about shavettes, so I’m cluesless when it comes to blades. Any recommendations for these 2? They were my grandfather’s and he used them daily as a barber. He used to do shaves as well as straight razor hair cuts. They haven’t been used since the 80’s probably, and the blades in them were the ones that were in them when they were given to me.

90% sure they are Hair Shaper blades

Search for hair shaper blades or for what the Weck takes.

Send me your address. (I'm sure i have it somewhere but send it anyway) i'll put a pack in the mail. I got a lot of those blades lying around.

The ones I own and use are from Personna. I get about 10-14 shaves from a single blade

The L&A takes injector blades. The second (can't quite make out the name on it) takes a Weck style blade. Prsonna hair shaper blades are easy to find and fairly inexpensive.

You can get those blades at you local Sally’s but I recommend getting Personna or Diane blades from amazon or eBay. Avoid the super cheap Chinese blades, they won’t fit right.

Those are are a lot of fun to use but be careful with the corners, they bite.

I use Personna or Fromm blades in my Weck, and those will work in your Diane razor. I buy both from Sally Beauty.

I don't know...I think the blade in your L&A looks fine to me. Give it a go and let us know!
1f60b.png

Thanks guys! Not sure I’m quite ready to use one of these yet, but I was curious what type of blades would work and which wouldn’t.

Yeah Don, I thought I might try with that original blade and save some money. The hospital visit would probably outweigh the cost of a pack of new blades though lol.

Those razors are easier to use than you think.

Those razors are easier to use than you think.

Don't believe him! I have a video floating around here of me using a shavette. I think Chad said something to the effect of that he couldn't stop laughing!

Don't believe him! I have a video floating around here of me using a shavette. I think Chad said something to the effect of that he couldn't stop laughing!

That was with a DE blade. Those are DEATH traps.

Any reason why these are so bad? I was Actually looking at these a while back but kind of lost interest and never pulled the trigger.

I just can never get a good shave from them. I would recommend the Feather SS. Great non traditional straight and a good way to learn to straight shave. I also really enjoy my Weck too.

There is nothing wrong with a Parker SRX, or any of the other half DE shavettes. They just take lots of practice. Have you ever shaved with a square toe straight? Imagine that, except the heel is also square toed and the blade is half the normal length of a straight.

They are definitely a challenge, but can produce great results.

EDIT: Oh, and the blade is thinner and less flexible, therefore less forgiving.

There is nothing wrong with a Parker SRX, or any of the other half DE shavettes. They just take lots of practice. Have you ever shaved with a square toe straight? Imagine that, except the heel is also square toed and the blade is half the normal length of a straight.

They are definitely a challenge, but can produce great results.

Oh I’ve never shaved with anything other than a cart or DE. So this would be my first venture into straights or shavettes. I’m not even sure I’m ready to try yet, I was Just curious what type of blades I could use because I don’t really know anything about them.

Oh I’ve never shaved with anything other than a cart or DE. So this would be my first venture into straights or shavettes. I’m not even sure I’m ready to try yet, I was Just curious what type of blades I could use because I don’t really know anything about them.

I recommend you start out with the Diane. Get some of the Personna or Fromm hairshaper blades. Watch some straight shaving tutorials. Also, for the first go-round do just your cheeks and nothing else with the shavette. I will say again... do just your cheeks and nothing else. It will take some time to get used to how differently straights and shavettes work. If you try to do your chin or neck on your first outing I guarantee you will cut yourself. It is very easy to get a nick from a 'hard touchdown'. All it takes in some cases is merely touching the blade to your face at the wrong angle. Take your time with it, go slowly, and use a very light touch. You will eventually get great results.

You can also clip the corners of the DE halves if necessary, to make it a tad more forgiving.

Back