The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

blade heating up

jimmie

Jr. Shave Member
I have heard people say, don't heat your blade up when you're buffing or grinding or whatever. what damage does that do? can it really make a difference, not getting it red hot but can that kind of work actually cause damage. rather than find out the hard way LOL

Hi @jimmie ,

Exactly like @Longhaultanker said if the blade gets too hot while buffing you can damage the temper. If the temper is damaged the molecular structure of the steel will have changed and the steel in that spot will be softer or different from other sections of the blade(a lot depends on the steel). The issue is that the edge in the section that was overheated may loose it’s edge faster and will wear differently than intended.
The way I negate the possibility of overheating the blade while working on it is to keep a glass of water close so I can frequently dip the razor in water to cool it off. If I’m buffing with an Emory compound which heats up the blade quickly I’m dipping the blade in the water quite a lot.
Using a dremel tool, it is easy to overheat a small section of the blade, so again I’m dipping the blade in water quite a lot but I’m even more careful than with a large buffing wheel. I’ve never been able to overheat a blade by hand sanding or buffing, so that’s relatively safe.
@Fenster who has commercial buffing expertise may be able to expand upon this further.

Anything under 400F is pretty safe, but be aware that the thin sections of the blade can exceed that temperature while the thicker sections are quite cool. If you see any color in the patina (straw, bronze, blue) you have gone too far and softened the steel irreparably.

Hi @jimmie ,

Exactly like @Longhaultanker said if the blade gets too hot while buffing you can damage the temper. If the temper is damaged the molecular structure of the steel will have changed and the steel in that spot will be softer or different from other sections of the blade(a lot depends on the steel). The issue is that the edge in the section that was overheated may loose it’s edge faster and will wear differently than intended.
The way I negate the possibility of overheating the blade while working on it is to keep a glass of water close so I can frequently dip the razor in water to cool it off. If I’m buffing with an Emory compound which heats up the blade quickly I’m dipping the blade in the water quite a lot.
Using a dremel tool, it is easy to overheat a small section of the blade, so again I’m dipping the blade in water quite a lot but I’m even more careful than with a large buffing wheel. I’ve never been able to overheat a blade by hand sanding or buffing, so that’s relatively safe.
@Fenster who has commercial buffing expertise may be able to expand upon this further.
wow, I can't imagine anybody elaborating on that. it makes sense. I didn't see how it could possibly affect anything. I would have found out the hard way though like most things I've done. thank you

Anything under 400F is pretty safe, but be aware that the thin sections of the blade can exceed that temperature while the thicker sections are quite cool. If you see any color in the patina (straw, bronze, blue) you have gone too far and softened the steel irreparably.
well I'll be dang, I have seen that and wondered what caused it LOL I figured somebody spilled lemon juice or something on it I had no idea and I didn't know about forums at that time. thank you for your input

I would have found out the hard way though like most things I've done.
I know the feeling there! I bet I've broken 10-20 razors during restorations and burned a few blades by heating them up too much... It's all part of learning. Though, for some(me) the learning curve is a bit steeper LOL.

I know the feeling there! I bet I've broken 10-20 razors during restorations and burned a few blades by heating them up too much... It's all part of learning. Though, for some(me) the learning curve is a bit steeper LOL.
the learning curve wasn't so steep, but my handicap causes a few problems. I am in a nursing home I have multiple sclerosis. I've been in a wheelchair for about 5 years. but I have made things and done some pretty crazy stuff I have YouTube videos of it just for fun to document my experience and restoration process in a nursing home using coping saws Jewelers saws bench vices pin vices LOL so the learning curve is a little different when the normal solutions don't work for me as well

I think I sent you an email that may be in your junk folder or something LOL from the straight blade

thanks for all the time you put in on YouTube and hear and for all the help you do for people. I thought I was enthusiastic, and I am, you make somebody step it up a few steps. I can't walk but I can roll with the punches LOL

well I'll be dang, I have seen that and wondered what caused it LOL I figured somebody spilled lemon juice or something on it I had no idea and I didn't know about forums at that time. thank you for your input
Not all patina is caused by heat.

Take a piece of thin scrap steel, sand it bright, then heat one end on the stove or torch and watch the 'tempering colors' run.

I don't have access to any heat. they would probably frown on that in a nursing home LOL but I did used to work in a shop so I do know what you mean it's amazing I never even thought about it before

Back