The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BINGO GAME #24 (Hallowe'en Edition)

Today, we're going to do something a little different. It's get to know the Caller day!

I love animals, and have always had pets. But even though I've had dogs, cats, and fish... my tastes in pets are a little more unusual. I've kept snakes for about 30 years. I currently have 5 of them, including 2 Boa Constrictors, like the one below. I also keep Tarantulas and currently have about 40 of them. I used to have about 200! The one below is arguably one of the most beautiful species, a Poecilotheria metallica (Sapphire Gooty Ornamental), which is native to India. I've been keeping tarantulas for 20 years.
B-11.jpgBoa.jpg

I love Horror Movies! The scarier the better! The gorier the better! I love them all. I'm pretty numb to average horror movies, so I like the extremes. I can enjoy any horror movie, but I really loves ones that make me feel something. I anticipate jump scares, so it's rare that one will actually get me, but BRAVO when one actually does. That's also why I like the gory movies, because they actually make me feel something, uneasy. And that's just as good a fear for getting a reaction from a film for me.

G-57.jpghorror.jpg

I collect a LOT of things. Always have, but my tastes are always changing and expanding. Aside from my Biggest collection, which is vintage shaving stuff (duh!), two of my smaller collections are Uranium Glass and Vomit Clocks. Uranium glass (and Vaseline Glass) is glass that is colored with Uranium in small quantities and gives the glass either a yellow or green hue. The side effect of containing Uranium is that it fluoresces (glows) while in the presence of Ultraviolet light (a blacklight). Despite the uranium, the glass is harmless. You get more radiation being near a microwave or your cellphone than you do from the glass. Vomit Clocks are one of my more recent discoveries. They were made using acrylic and rocks (or sometimes shells), and were often made from kits in the home. This was a common hobby back in the 60s-70s. There is a lot of variation in them, from the color of the resin to the size and shapes of the rocks and each one is unique. Fairly recently, someone saw one posted in a group and said it looked like someone had vomited that up..... and the name kind of just stuck. So now they are affectionately called Vomit Clocks.

Uranium.jpgO-72.jpg

One of my more unique collections is with anything creepy, scary, or macabre.... but more specifically Creepy Dolls, which includes Babies, Clowns, and Monkeys or anything else I can find that looks creepy/scary. I mostly like dolls that are naturally creepy. That is, those dolls that are old, and due to the passage of time, look weathered and aged. Dolls that look like they were recovered from a 100yr old abandoned home. Old porcelain dolls with cracked aged faces, clowns with missing or chipped paint, or stuffed monkeys that are dirty and worn with matted fur from decades of play. I do enjoy a few dolls that have painted specifically to look creepy, but it has to be done just right. I prefer them naturally creepy for the most part.

Baby.jpg

I-22.jpg

Monkey.jpg

Honestly can't find any. Can I trade these in for magic eyes?

Very nice. Looks like with these, I need 4 hits on either card to finish.

EDIT: Looks like I spoke before all the calls posted.

My latest hobby is ghost hunting! Ever seen Ghost Hunters, Ghost Adventures, or any other myriad of ghost investigation shows on TV? We, that's what I've started doing on a much more amateur level. It all started when I booked a ghost tour of a haunted mansion for Amber and I. We really enjoyed touring the old home and learning about the tools used to investigate ghosts and find out if there is any way to get evidence of their existence. And we did experience a few events that led us to believe there is something out there. We definitely wanted to do it again. Then I was contacted by the lead investigator, who needed some help with an upcoming tour, and asked if we'd like to help lead the investigation. I was obviously nervous but we had a great time and I did find even more evidence. We're hooked! And we will be doing as many investigations as our schedules allow. We have two more coming up, one this weekend and one in December. Can't Wait!

Vaille Mansion, Independence Missouri. (This is the only pic of this "getting to know me" series that is actually mine) vaile4.jpg

And lastly, most of you know that I retired from the Air Force. I did 4.5 years in ROTC, and spent 15.5 years on active duty. I was able to retire before the normal 20 years due to the AF trying to downsize, and being there in the right time/right place to make that happen. I retired as a Major. While Active Duty, I was stationed at Vandenberg AFB, CA; F.E. Warren AFB, WY; Offutt AFB, NE; Whiteman AFB, MO; and Eglin AFB, FL. I was also deployed twice, to Afghanistan and Djibouti, Africa. I also spent a lot of time TDY to Nellis AFB, NV. When I was stationed at Whiteman I worked on the Stealth Bomber, and was lucky enough after retirement to get hired by Northrop Grumman, to continue working on the bomber (in a different capacity). I love my job, and love continuing to contribute to the safety and security of our country!

O-71.jpg
B-2.jpg

1st Drive by, Magic Eye Perfection KJ, 2nd Thank You for your Service, and I retired much in the same way, 3rd WHERE ARE MY PEPPERS??? 4th.

TSC not Bingo!

Back