The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Best Witch Hazel

I have used two different witch hazel products and I am not sure I can tell any differences between them.
I have a generic wal-mart and have the Thayers rose scent.
What have you been using and why do you like it?

Good info here if you haven't seen it yet. KJ did an awesome job compiling it.

I use both, generic first, then an application of Thayer’s Medicated (which is now discontinued). I’ll continue to use generic, Thayer's I don’t know. I mean it feels nice, it’s just expensive. Like Kyle @uacowboy, I’ll probably switch over to my homemade witch hazel/aloe blend once the Thayer’s is gone. It’s easy to make, way cheaper, and makes a great second application.

I will say that I'm happy with the company that makes what I currently use and may end up with something from them again as they have other offerings. Humphreys

I use Generic, primarily. I've used Humphrey's and Dickinson's and the ingredients are the exact same as the generic, so I don't see the point in paying twice as much or more for the same product. The Thayers products are completely different, and have other stuff in them, aside from just the scents. They are a more complete product, but again, I don't want to spend 5 times as much for the Thayers (on a regular basis, at least). I do have Thayers Lemon and Thayers medicated, but I primarily use them for other purposes than just a post shave.

I use T.N. Dickinson's witch hazel because it's just witch hazel and the alcohol that is generated by the process of making witch hazel. No real scent so I am free to use any aftershave I desire. And it's cheap.

I see a lot of people liking the Humphries. Is there anything special in that?
What do people put on after the witch hazel?
I typically put on the W.H. then an aftershave then Nivea balm.

Good info here if you haven't seen it yet. KJ did an awesome job compiling it.

That was a good article. Thank you for referencing it @Dave in KY !

My aftershave routine is:

Rub alum block on my wet face and let it sit while I clean gear.
Rinse off with cold water.
Apply witch hazel.
Apply aftershave splash.
Apply balm if face feels dry. (Typically only during the winter, however I have not applied balm even once this winter.)

I see a lot of people liking the Humphries. Is there anything special in that?
They make a few different types. So it depends. As I said before, thier basic witch hazel is the same ingredients as generic WH.

What do people put on after the witch hazel?
Either an aftershave splash or a balm, depending on what my face feels like, or what scent I want to use.

I will say that I'm happy with the company that makes what I currently use and may end up with something from them again as they have other offerings. Humphreys
I was both surprised and saddened at the loss of the Alcoholado Maravilla. I found that a mixture of the Maravilla and Grand Bay Bay Rum was my favorite bay rum aftershave. The combo of scent and soothing properties was great. So I'll be interested in hearing what you find. I'm also tempted to try to come up with a homemade version of the Maravilla to use with some Grand Bay.

Bob

I was both surprised and saddened at the loss of the Alcoholado Maravilla. I found that a mixture of the Maravilla and Grand Bay Bay Rum was my favorite bay rum aftershave. The combo of scent and soothing properties was great. So I'll be interested in hearing what you find. I'm also tempted to try to come up with a homemade version of the Maravilla to use with some Grand Bay.

Bob
I'm actually waiting to hear from Gus @GlazedBoker for an alternative as he is in the best position know what would be an acceptable alternative. He got me hooked originally. He's my personal enabler 😂😂

I use both, generic first, then an application of Thayer’s Medicated (which is now discontinued). I’ll continue to use generic, Thayer's I don’t know. I mean it feels nice, it’s just expensive. Like Kyle @uacowboy, I’ll probably switch over to my homemade witch hazel/aloe blend once the Thayer’s is gone. It’s easy to make, way cheaper, and makes a great second application.
Aloe, witch hazel, and osage rub and it's awesome!

I use an artisan Ozark Witch Hazel from pinenut.com. She's out right now but should be making another batch later this month.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Back