The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Best Sharpening Stones SB Arkansas

dkeester

"TSC's Master of Bourbon"
It arrived today and so far I am satisfied.

It came in an oversized shipping box full of packing peanuts. The stone itself was also wrapped in bubble wrap. It was a very careful packing job. The wooden box inside the bubble wrap was shrink wrapped. After opening that I found the stone inside with strips of foam packing material surrounding it. Inside of that, the stone itself was shrink wrapped.

Best made sure that the stone was going to get here in one piece. All that packaging was a welcome thing. They went above and beyond to make sure the stone was secure.

The stone itself is very pretty. It is a nice, dark black with a few inclusions. The only real down side that I see with it is the fact that it was shrink wrapped directly after being cut. It was covered in stone dust from the saw and I see some tool marks on the one side. I don't think it was polished at all before packaging. This means that it is probably dead flat, but the surfaces aren't ready to be used. I will need to lap/polish it before it will be the finisher that I am wanting it to be. My Dan's Black Ark came to me in slightly more usable shape. This is a case of getting what you pay for. Dan's stones are more expensive because of the post processing that they do before shipping. I was expecting the stone to be somewhat rough.

IMG_20200530_174600362_BURST001[1].jpg
IMG_20200530_174614368[1].jpg
IMG_20200530_174625410[1].jpg

This looks like a good solid stone and once I get a bit of a mirror shine on it I think it will be fabulous.

Oh, and the shipping from Best was speedy. I ordered on 05/27/2020 and received it today. They say 2-3 day shipping on their site, and that is what I got.

From what I know, the material they are made of is the same novaculite that us flintknappers use to make arrowheads out of. A flintknapper I know of owns a novaculite quarry and makes most of his money making Arkansas sharpening stones. I bet a slap of novaculite is probably cheaper for me to buy than the sharpening stones.

Back