The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Beard/Mustache Oils and balms

Dave, you going to go full Dave Letterman with the mountain man beard?

For beard oil which can also use as a shame oil I would recommend crew and 40 beard balm I would recommend Reuzel I’ve tried probably every beard oil and bomb in the shop and these two are constantly commented on by clients and they love it

For beard oil which can also use as a shame oil I would recommend crew and 40 beard balm I would recommend Reuzel I’ve tried probably every beard oil and bomb in the shop and these two are constantly commented on by clients and they love it
Thank you for the recommendations

What and how do you use? Why? What do you recommend? Asking for a friend.................

I use both beard oil and beard balm.

Beard oil - The short answer is that I use the oil for my skin, not for my beard. The longer answer is that after showering, my goatie holds a lot of water especially at the base near my skin. I don't like blow drying my goatie as that tends to really dry the hair out to much, so I towel dry it, but towel drying always leaves some water behind. This water really dries out my skin after a few days and causes irritation and itching. The oil counters this and keeps my skin healthy and itch free. I apply it with a dropper at the hair base next to the skin and rub it in very well. I have used a number of different brands and they all seemed to work fine and other than scent I have not found much difference in them. For the past year or so I have been making my own with Sweet Almond oil and some essential oils (usually a citrus blend that I make with lime, bergamot, and sweet orange). It's much cheaper and works very well for me. I am sure there are better skin nurturing options available, but this works well for me.

Beard balm - I use balm to condition and control the hair. I apply balm after the oil. The amount used depends on how long my goatie is, but in general I use a almond size amount. I rub it between my finger tips to soften it, then rub it into the hair. Then comb or brush as needed. Like the oil, I have tried a number of different brands, however with balms I have noticed a much wider range in performance. Again for the past year or so I have made my own. I use a combination of bees wax, butters, and oil along with essential oils to make it. Mine is a rather stiff consistency as I like a fair amount of hold. However I just ordered some balm from Stirling Soap Co yesterday, I will let you know how it works.

Hope this helps.

I only use oil. Balms seem to break my skin out.

My face is also sensitive to heavy oils, so I can't do castor oil based stuff like Stirling. Even high argan oil concentrations can break me out. I do well with jojoba, avocado, and many of the seed oils.

I'm also frugal, so I try to stay under $12 / oz.

All that said, WSP and PAA both seem to work well for me.

I’ve been rocking an unruly beard since Covid started.

Honest Amish beard balm (sold on Amazon for $11) is really good stuff. It’s Amazon’s best seller for a reason.

Back