The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Basic finishing using super glue (CA)

CBLindsay

I Blame Dave
Owner
Legacy
In this video I show the final steps to finishing a wood brush handle or wood bowl. The major sanding has already been done, all that remains is the final sanding and polishing before applying he superglue finish.
Safety note: protect your eyes and be prepared for fumes. Wear gloves and be prepared for the glue to get very hot. Use wax paper instead of paper towel to avoid exces fumes and potentially burning fingers. The wax paper has less control but it works well.

https://youtu.be/3dnfna0GYfc

Great video, Chris! I’ve been meaning to do a finishing video for a while, but have yet to get around to it. I’ve seen you mention using wax paper for years, and might have to give it a try.

That's pretty cool Chris. Now I gotta figure out how to chuck a knife in a lathe......

That's pretty cool Chris. Now I gotta figure out how to chuck a knife in a lathe......
i’ve done Scales by hand ( no lathe) but use wax paper and plastic bags. You have to take it slow and sand between coats but it works. The biggest issue is fumes, followed by having things stick to your fingers and arms.
Id say your finish work on your handles is pretty darned solid, you’ve got skills.

Love the safety note from the shoeless guy in the wood shop.

I’m with Dave. Just some tools and some skills and I’m set! Thanks for sharing. I’ve been wondering how the glue gets on there without whatever applies it sticking to the wood itself.

Love the safety note from the shoeless guy in the wood shop.

I’m with Dave. Just some tools and some skills and I’m set! Thanks for sharing. I’ve been wondering how the glue gets on there without whatever applies it sticking to the wood itself.
I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to call him out ???

I go shoeless so I can really FEEL the superglue that hits the ground.

Using a lathe to apply a finish to bowls or handles makes it SUPER easy. Applying the CA to scales or areas that can't be reached on a lathe is made a lot easier if you use wax paper but getting it to look great requires a ton of patience and a touch of skill. I have only a smidgen of both.

Eric (@smattayu) has done incredible work with a drill and a vise. You don't need a lathe if you have some creativity. Seriously, you would be amazed to see the brushes Eric did before he got his lathe running.

As an aside. If you want a fine finish on wood but don't want to risk really getting stuck to your work, use Tung oil. The process is much slower but the results are amazing. You will need to do a few coats and sand between coats to get the finish you want but the results are SO worth it.

Using a lathe to apply a finish to bowls or handles makes it SUPER easy. Applying the CA to scales or areas that can't be reached on a lathe is made a lot easier if you use wax paper but getting it to look great requires a ton of patience and a touch of skill. I have only a smidgen of both.

Eric (@smattayu) has done incredible work with a drill and a vise. You don't need a lathe if you have some creativity. Seriously, you would be amazed to see the brushes Eric did before he got his lathe running.

As an aside. If you want a fine finish on wood but don't want to risk really getting stuck to your work, use Tung oil. The process is much slower but the results are amazing. You will need to do a few coats and sand between coats to get the finish you want but the results are SO worth it.
Thanks for the tips as I have an old wood brush I need to do when I'm not lazy...............

I am trying really hard to get the CA on the scales for the SS to look right but i fear i may have ruined them already. not sure if i can polish them out and i dont want to use something that isnt going to be at minimum water resistant.

I am trying really hard to get the CA on the scales for the SS to look right but i fear i may have ruined them already. not sure if i can polish them out and i dont want to use something that isnt going to be at minimum water resistant.
Don't be afraid to sand out the blemishes. If nothing else sand with very high grit paper between coats, you don't need a super thick coating to provide protection. The first application of CA penetrates fairly deep so a second or third layer might accomplish what you are after. Use a thin CA for the first coat then switch to a gel for the second coat. Gel stays a little thicker and will "float" the highs and lows. let it dry well then sand if needed. use 0000 steel wool to smooth it out and finish with scratch X or some other progressive grit type polisher (mag wheel polish is good stuff too).
If all else fails, sand them down and start over.

Probably don't want to try that in my shop.
1f61c.png

Don't be afraid to sand out the blemishes. If nothing else sand with very high grit paper between coats, you don't need a super thick coating to provide protection. The first application of CA penetrates fairly deep so a second or third layer might accomplish what you are after. Use a thin CA for the first coat then switch to a gel for the second coat. Gel stays a little thicker and will "float" the highs and lows. let it dry well then sand if needed. use 0000 steel wool to smooth it out and finish with scratch X or some other progressive grit type polisher (mag wheel polish is good stuff too).
If all else fails, sand them down and start over.

Totally agree. Sometimes it is better to sand it down and start fresh, and if it’s something you’re doing in your spare time there is no harm in chipping away at it as the mood strikes you. It’ll be done eventually, and you’ll learn a lot from the little mistakes here and there.

As Chris mentioned, the lathe is a great way to go for finishing, but it is not the only option. The lathe is still a recent thing for me. I was using a drill with a tapping bit to put the finish on handles that I turned on my BIL’s lathe for ages. You can use a drill press to make a brush from start to finish for that matter.

I’ve tried several products for the final polish, and always seem to come back to Mother’s mag and aluminum polish followed by Ren Wax. It’s all preference though, and I’ve seen guys get beautiful results using a variety of different polishes.

This is a great tutorial, Chris!

Alfredo did some custome scales for me using a CA finish and a wood I picked out, and I could not believe how nice super glue could make something look.

I always just remember it fogging up the canopies of my model aircraft, lol! 01001111 00110110 00110001

I have never tried CA as a finish because I have always thought of it easier when turning. It kind of intimidates me on the flat stuff. I have just used an epoxy if I had to make something waterproof. But there are any number of different options to finish your projects.

Back