The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BarberDave's Straight Razor Learning Series: MODULE #103

Finally had time to watch #3. Great job @HandleBarberDave and Woot woot a free just pay shipping Hone job by the pro. May take you up on that for one of my nicer straights. Have a good day and hope you're feeling better by now.

Long time DE shaver, new SR shaver here. With advance appreciation, I have two questions I'd love some best practice guidance on:

1.) When you put the SR down between passes, etc., do you fold it into the scales (and if so, dry or wet), or do you leave it open (or partially open) on a sponge, towel, etc.?
2.) What brushes do you use for talc application? Do you use a regular, but dry, lather brush, or do you prefer something else?

TIA for your considered responses. You guys are awesome and I've learned so much lurking on the forum!

--Barry

Long time DE shaver, new SR shaver here. With advance appreciation, I have two questions I'd love some best practice guidance on:

1.) When you put the SR down between passes, etc., do you fold it into the scales (and if so, dry or wet), or do you leave it open (or partially open) on a sponge, towel, etc.?
Yes for safety Always close the blade. Wet is fine until shave is complete. It is wiped on a sponge

2.) What brushes do you use for talc application? Do you use a regular, but dry, lather brush, or do you prefer something else?

I use an old brush not used anymore and badger or the the softest you can find
TIA for your considered responses. You guys are awesome and I've learned so much lurking on the forum!

--Barry
Answers below each question. Enjoy and feel free to reach out!

Back