The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BarberDave's Straight Razor Learning Series: Module #101

I just want to make sure I'm getting this.

For second week, only one WTG pass and that's with the DE, and then two ATG passes with the straight, but no WTG passes?

I agree, the 100 shave threshold seems to be meaningful in terms of obtaining more consistent, quality shaves. I also saw that around 40 shaves I felt things were getting pretty good ...then went sideways for a short while. I think the key is to get to a point were you aren't thinking about each step, the more you think the more things go ff the rail. In my case I think around 40 shaves I had developed some routines and some bad habits that I had to work past.

Bowl vs Face, I favor face as well. I feel the face lathering adds to the prep in a way that bowl lathering does not. It also adds some feedback as I build the later (scent being part of it). As I was learning to lather I would face lather most of the way then finish in the bowl so i could see and fine tune the lather. I often end up with too much soap in the brush and the lather on the face for the first pass is too thick.

Yes cole both passes ATG Against it will give you a feel for the pass, Good news as of #102 you will only be using the DE for cleanup , Again the videos are dropped all at once, but concentrate on the practice session
#100 - 7-days
#101 - 7-days
#102 - 14-days
#103 14-days
#104 -14-days

so 56 days of just practicing the basics before Module #105 where we put everything together for continued practice and improvement to get a good foundation to get to those milestone shaves

Pretty sure if needed students can adjust to what they feel is a better fit for them. 👍
But thanks for the estate thoughts 😂😂
indeed Dave, this is just a basic guideline path to success, but as always stated it is your shave

Back