The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BarberDave's Straight Razor Learning Series : MODULE #100

Nice start Dave. I remember when you first started with straights. You have come a long way. Love the tip of the jean strop.

Just a little feedback, since I'm in the middle of this learning process right now.

There's no way I could have done a neck pass comfortably on day one, and even with the help of the DE, I'm still balking when it comes to the chin. Though thanks to the video I at least gave it a try today, and will again tomorrow.

I do have some course curly hair, and my neck's grain is all over the place, which I'm sure is a major factor.

Just a little feedback, since I'm in the middle of this learning process right now.

There's no way I could have done a neck pass comfortably on day one, and even with the help of the DE, I'm still balking when it comes to the chin. Though thanks to the video I at least gave it a try today, and will again tomorrow.

I do have some course curly hair, and my neck's grain is all over the place, which I'm sure is a major factor.
Cole:
Just take your time and do it at your pace and with repetition you will gain confidence. The 7-day practice for these early sessions is just a guideline if it takes longer that is OK

Thank God I'm already a cold water shaver! Whoops, I'm already cross shaving with the imitation Feather SS and I'm betting that's where my irritation came from, that and not starting with the DE. I was jumping right in with the SS on the first pass. I've learned a ton already and glad I got to see this video before thinking about trying my first SR shave. Great stuff Dave! Thanks for taking the time to do it and the work you put into it.

I'll probably just do a cheek shave on the first run. Like Cole, I'd rather have a good first run at it than try to do too much and have blood everywhere. It takes so little to cut yourself with an open blade. I discovered that with the SS.

Thank God I'm already a cold water shaver! Whoops, I'm already cross shaving with the imitation Feather SS and I'm betting that's where my irritation came from, that and not starting with the DE. I was jumping right in with the SS on the first pass. I've learned a ton already and glad I got to see this video before thinking about trying my first SR shave. Great stuff Dave! Thanks for taking the time to do it and the work you put into it.

I'll probably just do a cheek shave on the first run. Like Cole, I'd rather have a good first run at it than try to do too much and have blood everywhere. It takes so little to cut yourself with an open blade. I discovered that with the SS.

I think had I started with this, I MAY have moved along a bit faster than I am, but I'm ok with breaking this first module's 7 days into a number of 7 day sections. I also didn't use the DE on the first pass, but got through as much as possible without and then finished with each pass. I've got a feeling Dave's way is actually more efficient though.

With the help of the DE I've got cheeks and neck, and today got the chin. Will do that for about 7 days and then the big step is under the nose.

@HandleBarberDave do you have any tips for under the nose about the lip? Obviously the blade angle is going to have to change a bit there.

I think had I started with this, I MAY have moved along a bit faster than I am, but I'm ok with breaking this first module's 7 days into a number of 7 day sections. I also didn't use the DE on the first pass, but got through as much as possible without and then finished with each pass. I've got a feeling Dave's way is actually more efficient though.

With the help of the DE I've got cheeks and neck, and today got the chin. Will do that for about 7 days and then the big step is under the nose.

@HandleBarberDave do you have any tips for under the nose about the lip? Obviously the blade angle is going to have to change a bit there.
Cole, I have a mustache however I would just do WTG passes with your dominant hand on the same side using an angle from nose to corner or of mouth and blowing the lip up for the middle section. I am at the shop right now but I will try to take a couple stills to illustrate in a few minutes

Last edited:
OK Cole:
This is a bit wierd as it is not a video but if you follow the order of the collage, you will be able to see what I am trying to illustrate. So use you dominant hand on the dominant side and you will see the strokes I am trying to illustrate in these still collages. Hope these help

All these at of course WTG. Again sorry I could not produce a vid quickly here at the shop.

Also, to everyone: remember the practice guidelines are only recommended ways, it is your shave. Adjust curriculum to fit your individual needs

OK Cole:
This is a bit wierd as it is not a video but if you follow the order of the collage, you will be able to see what I am trying to illustrate. So use you dominant hand on the dominant side and you will see the strokes I am trying to illustrate in these still collages. Hope these help

All these at of course WTG. Again sorry I could not produce a vid quickly here at the shop.

Also, to everyone: remember the practice guidelines are only recommended ways, it is your shave. Adjust curriculum to fit your individual needs
View attachment 4061View attachment 4062View attachment 4063

No weird at all and @uacowboy was describing something similar to me over on my journal.

Thanks for taking time out to make the pics :)

Well now I have no excuse I need to get my straights in order so I can do this. But I laugh every time you say angry follicle FYI.

Back