The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

B. J. EYRE & Co. Resto.

Tathra11

Shave Member
G'day all, here is an old B. J. EYRE & Co that I restored a while back. Razor and scales were quite rough, but with very little hone wear it was a good resto candidate. Original horn scales were too far gone to bother with so I rescaled with spares I had. Plenty of hand sanding was done over a couple of weeks. I took the blade up to the highest gloss I could achieve then satin finished the blade faces. Typical of these Sheffields, it takes a nice edge and is a lovely shaver. Well worth the effort. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Mick.

DSCN0437.JPG
DSCN0441.JPG
20211001_183237.jpg
DSCN0575.JPG
DSCN0571.JPG

@Tathra11 very well done! The B.J Eyre & Co has a storied history and produced some excellent razors. They were the successor to the W. Greaves & Sons empire in around 1850, one of the most storied razor companies of Sheffield. They originally listed their razors with “Late W. Greaves & Sons,” stamped on their razors to gain credibility. Later they went by B.J. Eyre in the 1870’s and were purchased in the 1880’s by an American, Frederick Weibusch who slowly branded the razors and knives Challenge cutlery and produced in both Connecticut and Sheffield. When Weibusch died in 1928, the company closed and was acquired by Schrade and in the following years it was acquired by Imperial and still makes knives to this day as Imperial Schrade!

Last edited:
Back