The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

AS Splash

LNHC

Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations
Artisan Retailer
Hi Y'all,
A few might know that I have been working on an aftershave splash since before Christmas last year. I have a really good formula down and have begun testing. My questions to all of you are,
1. What scents are you drawn to in a as splash?
2. Besides price and scent, what are the defining characteristics you look for when you purchase as splashes?
Thank you in advance and I truly appreciate your insight and support.
❤ Lisa

Hi Lisa. in answer to question #2, I like a scent that is long lasting but not overpowering. In other words, when I walk into a room, I don't want the scent to fill the room, but when I'm close enough to talk to someone, I guess you could say when they are in my personal space, I want to smell good. As to #1 I usually like my a/s to match my soap although I like Bay Rums and Barbarshops no matter what soap I use. I have your Coconut Oud and would enjoy having that as a splash. I'm not an expert on scents like some of the Cadre members, but I hope this helps.

I consider FEEL to be the most important feature to me: I like a splash that feels more like an alcohol than an oil or witch hazel. By this I mean I want to feel something other than wet applied to my face. I personally enjoy a touch of menthol but I understand the market become limited when you add menthol. I don’t always look for skin nourishing additives but appreciate when a little of this or that is added and it still feels right.

I like the scent to be strong on application and either fade to allow a complementary cologne to be worn or to have enough longevity that I feel I won’t want/need cologne (few A/S splashes last all day though). In terms of what kind of scent I like ones that match a favorite soap or are a match of a favorite cologne I might use. Avoid overly sweet or cloying scents or ones that dry down that way.

Obviously price is a factor so the size/amount needs to be little enough to keep the cost within reason while being enough to feel like it has value...4ish ounces in a glass bottle with restrictor top seems to be the sweet spot for me. It allows the artisan to price appropriately without making it a luxury purchase requiring approval from the budget committee.

Congratulations on your progress, I look forward to seeing what you have come up with.

Chris pretty much nailed down my feelings. My favorite splashes are by Chiseled Face and A&E for face feel. I do enjoy nourishing things in it rather than just scent and alcohol. Looking forward to what you come up with Lisa

I agree with Chris about the importance of face feel and wanting my splashes to feel more like alcohol (at least a little sting) than just water. My wife is sensitive to scents, so I look for something that loses its projection quickly. My favorite splashes are B&M Reserve, Chiseled Face, Dr. Jon's AS Tonic, Proraso Green, Myrsol Antesol, and Pitralon. (Not all of them have short projection, though. So I can't wear some of them very often.)

Another +1 for face feel. All of my aftershaves have and/or menthol. My standards are Floid Vigoroso, Epsilon Blue, and Proraso Green.

I do like a variety of scents right now, so that varies. I know that you like to create entirely original scents, which is very respectable; I also love your Coconut Oud, though I haven’t tried anything else yet. My favorites however, to give a more rounded idea, are cleaner barbershops (think Rive-Gauche and Barbasol) and deeper cologne-types (think Aventus and Terre d’Hermes).

I like stronger, projecting, lasting, and good face feel/skin food. I don’t mind the alcohol/frag only aftershaves, if the scent catches me (such as Fine Accoutrements, which pretty much ticks every box except skin food). I do highly appreciate an AS with good skin food though (think Speick, Lucky Tiger, generic witch hazel, Thayers, Captain’s Choice), which I think you’ve nailed already with your soaps, so this should be easy!

Good luck Lisa!

Face feel. Not sticky or greasy, but something that makes my skin feel hydrated and nourished.

I definitely want a scent that has longevity. I have a few that last all day, and they are among my favorites. The ones that only last around an hour get much less use by me.

I wish more artisans would give you a choice of menthol or no menthol. Some scents just don't go well with menthol to me. I'd like the option.

I will also add that I love to buy matching splash/balm/elixir sets that go with my soaps scents. Face feel for me is more important than a scent that lasts forever. I usually shave at night so my cologne is the scent the folks get to smell all day. Looking forward to your product Lisa if it’s anything like the rest of your stuff then my pocket is gonna be a bit lighter after the release. (Doc Holiday scent would be my first choice please)

I consider FEEL to be the most important feature to me: I like a splash that feels more like an alcohol than an oil or witch hazel. By this I mean I want to feel something other than wet applied to my face. I personally enjoy a touch of menthol but I understand the market become limited when you add menthol. I don’t always look for skin nourishing additives but appreciate when a little of this or that is added and it still feels right.

I like the scent to be strong on application and either fade to allow a complementary cologne to be worn or to have enough longevity that I feel I won’t want/need cologne (few A/S splashes last all day though). In terms of what kind of scent I like ones that match a favorite soap or are a match of a favorite cologne I might use. Avoid overly sweet or cloying scents or ones that dry down that way.

Obviously price is a factor so the size/amount needs to be little enough to keep the cost within reason while being enough to feel like it has value...4ish ounces in a glass bottle with restrictor top seems to be the sweet spot for me. It allows the artisan to price appropriately without making it a luxury purchase requiring approval from the budget committee.

Congratulations on your progress, I look forward to seeing what you have come up with.

Chris pretty much called it all out for me. I do like to match my soaps and aftershaves as much as I can...but it's not a necessity. Since I am assuming that you initially won't be able to make a matching aftershave to all your soaps...I would take your top sellers and have a matching aftershave with your top three at least.

I will also add that I love to buy matching splash/balm/elixir sets that go with my soaps scents. Face feel for me is more important than a scent that lasts forever. I usually shave at night so my cologne is the scent the folks get to smell all day. Looking forward to your product Lisa if it’s anything like the rest of your stuff then my pocket is gonna be a bit lighter after the release. (Doc Holiday scent would be my first choice please)
I guess I'll have to bring it back 😉

Face feel. Not sticky or greasy, but something that makes my skin feel hydrated and nourished.

I definitely want a scent that has longevity. I have a few that last all day, and they are among my favorites. The ones that only last around an hour get much less use by me.

I wish more artisans would give you a choice of menthol or no menthol. Some scents just don't go well with menthol to me. I'd like the option.
Great idea on the menthol option, I will make a test batch of it and see where the level needs to be.

If a splash doesn't have glycerin or some other kind of skin food, I pass on it. My skin is slightly oily and I've found the combination of alcohol and glycerin are perfect for it. Someone mentioned long-lasting but not overpowering; both are good qualities that I look for and return to. WSP splashes have both, and the base ingredients never vary: alcohol, glycerin, witch hazel, fragrance, allantoin. I know what I'm getting for my skin every time; only the flavor changes.

Looking forward to your upcoming line! (y)

If a splash doesn't have glycerin or some other kind of skin food, I pass on it. My skin is slightly oily and I've found the combination of alcohol and glycerin are perfect for it. Someone mentioned long-lasting but not overpowering; both are good qualities that I look for and return to. WSP splashes have both, and the base ingredients never vary: alcohol, glycerin, witch hazel, fragrance, allantoin. I know what I'm getting for my skin every time; only the flavor changes.

Looking forward to your upcoming line! (y)
Yes, mine has all of those basic ingredients plus extra goodies that are indeed great for the skin. 😉

Congrats Lisa, I am sure any scents you come out with will be very nice

Thanks everyone for your advice, I appreciate it. It's on the fourth testing go around and it is hitting all the marks you all wanted.

Any more news on the splashes? Any projected time frame for a release? And how many different type scents will be offered? Thanks again...

Back