The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Arkansas Stones

cmh737

I shave @ FL360
Veteran
Legacy
Here's a full progression set of Arkansas stones: Soft Ark, Hard Ark, and Translucent Black Ark. These are all 6 x 2 x 1 in size and from Natural Whetstone. I'll post the ones I have from Dan's Whetstone soon.

Good looking stones there Chris!

I thought that a stone was either a Black Surgical or Translucent, didn't know there was a Translucent Black.

Good looking stones there Chris!

I thought that a stone was either a Black Surgical or Translucent, didn't know there was a Translucent Black.

Thanks, Craig. And regarding the terminology....

I think the names given to the Arkansas stones that are more dense than the "Hard Ark" are a product of marketing. Dan's Whetstone, for instance, after the "Hard Ark", uses the term "True Hard Ark", then "Translucent", and then "Surgical Black" (for their ultra fine stone). Now, they've dropped the "Surgical Black" term and they just call it a "Black Arkansas". Natural Whetstone doesn't use the term, "Surgical Black" at all. They have a "Translucent", which is whitish in color, and a "Black Translucent" that is dark greyish to light black. Both of them are the same properties, just different colors, according to the email response I got from Natural Whetstone when I asked if there was any difference.

Back