The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Anyone still bundle internet, tv, landline?

Our city brought in Fiber awhile back. So it's an added service charge of $15 on our trash bill. Then we pick whatever ISP we want. The one we have it's $50 a month for 1gig upload and download. Unlimited data. We don't have a landline. We play the streaming service hop around game depending what we are watching. But always have disney+ on yearly discount for kids.

We just got our notice of the potential overage charges for data. I wish we had an alternative to the evil empire in our area, but they’re the only high speed internet provider here so we’re stuck.

It's the same situation for us as well. Comcast has no direct competition as the only other option is AT&T and they're still DSL speeds. So if you want something above 3MB/s you deal with whatever Comcast throws your way in terms of pricing.

So, to resurrect this long-sleeping thread that I began, here's an update. We simplified. We now have only land-line phone (at my daughter, the police dispatcher's insistence!) and internet w/ da local much hated sole provider. We dumped their cable. They are not nice people. They forced us(all users) into a cable box/dvr/selector etc which never worked properly. When their techs came out they always wanted to punch holes in our walls and pull new cable, blah, blah. I sensed that their box was the problem, because their guy who came to do the install went through 4 new in the box units before 1 would work after his many phone calls to the local office to get a new signal pushed through. Their box required anywhere between 3-4 reboots per week because it would "get stuck". Canceled, right?

So, we bought a new Sony tv, Apple TV+ set-top controller, a new Eero 3 piece router system, and a new Sonos Arc/sub-woofer speaker system. Woohoo!! 👏👏👏 We use YouTube TV for regular tv at 1/3 the cost for the service we walked away from. Of course, we have the usual suspects for apps for streaming: Netflix, Prime Video, Plex, Disney+, Apple TV+, and so forth. These apps were always our streaming apps above and beyond our previous tv only "subscription". You get the idea. Muy perfecto solution for our needs. 👍

My son and his buddy, both techies (from years of experience with Apple, Microsoft, Sonance and various other tech companies where similarly aged millennials hang out) did the install and wall mount for a couple hundred bucks and a couple bottles of premium tequila. Tada!

Fun Fact: Did you know internet technology was developed through public funds via the Pentagon budget? The Pentagon “contracts” institutions like MIT and NASA to develop it using said taxpayer funds. The technology is then given to private capital(Verizon,etc)and resold to the people who sponsored its development(the taxpayer). The infrastructure is developed by private capital in cooperation with governmental tax breaks and cooperation, but is not a public utility. We own it but they sell it back to us. We are getting ripped off.

Fun Fact: Did you know internet technology was developed through public funds via the Pentagon budget? The Pentagon “contracts” institutions like MIT and NASA to develop it using said taxpayer funds. The technology is then given to private capital(Verizon,etc)and resold to the people who sponsored its development(the taxpayer). The infrastructure is developed by private capital in cooperation with governmental tax breaks and cooperation, but is not a public utility. We own it but they sell it back to us. We are getting ripped off.
We also provided to the tune of about $200 million in tax payer funds to our cell phone providers to develop better mobile tech - though tney call it 5G - it still does not meet the ITU specs for 5G, but then again 4G didn’t either until LTE

Is this standard copper line? I can understand why because if the power goes out - so does cellular- but in most cases copper will still work

and these will work even when copper goes down lol

View attachment 62423

Dunno. 🤷‍♂️

What she tells me is that if someone is incapacitated and they can at least dial 911, that the responding unit can respond to within 500 yds to a cell signal. Whereas, with a landline on an open circuit, units can pinpoint to within 100 yds.

Others may be able to respond with technical reasons??

Back