The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Another Guerilla? Yes but, in Bronze.❤️

Had to get one in the Bronze configuration. The Aluminum version is an excellent shaver but, I just wanted some extra weight and to see if the shave dynamic would change for better or worse with the added heft. Plus, I love Bronze/Brass Alloy as a shaving tool. It’s on for tomorrow’s shave….

694C6CF3-7798-4340-A5E5-B9AF96E6D27A.jpeg
85ACA919-F479-49C5-B6F4-9D40C1B1DD5F.jpeg
D218D78F-ED62-4C93-840E-48EA4A36C561.jpeg
7D2835D9-0B60-439C-A8A0-B2AD507D95C9.jpeg
E2C15AA5-7B37-48AB-BCC9-6DF3D526FA63.jpeg
BAE18542-1F91-4C7A-8C2C-9D6EB1D2F146.jpeg
25EE667D-CEC8-4A6C-B146-19BB92A0A4EC.jpeg

Got it. I’m going to preface this by saying that I have enjoyed every shave that I’ve gotten from the Bronze Guerilla’s stablemate, the Aluminum Guerilla. Wonderfully smooth yet highly efficient with a featherweight touch but, it had/has plenty of punch to knock down whiskers from a day to a full week without missing a beat. It’s that good of a razor, period.

Now we have the Bronze Guerilla. It’s identical in shave geometry to the Aluminum version and is impeccably machined to exacting tolerances as practically all Wolfman Razors are. The Bronze though Gents, it takes that quality of feel and precision to another level. The heft, the look and the total feel brings the razor to the next level in high performance/luxury/world class look & ownership. The handle for one threads so smoothly and easily into the top cap stud that it’s almost fluid like, as if on ball bearings. The Karve Brass has a very similar feel to the Bronze Guerilla in that aspect. The locking of the blade pinched in between the top cap & plate gives that wonderful “crunch” sound when the blade is set and ready to go. The Bronze is obviously heavier than it’s Aluminum alternative but, the balance in hand makes it feel lighter than it really is. Balance point for me is about a finger width and a half below the razor head and is distributed along the whole length of the razor with perhaps a slight weight bias towards the head say 55/45. To me that’s just about perfect for how I like a razor to feel in my hands. It shows the smallest amount of blade tabs on each end just like the Aluminum variant which aids in placing & removing the blade with ease. The top cap blade alignment pins are not long as the base plate pin holes aren’t very deep but, they are precise with virtually no movement of the blade fore and aft once it has been placed in there. There is no difference visually to the Aluminum version once both razors are ready to go. Just the color, alloy and weight. The Bronze handle though smooth, offers a tactile feel to it that once wet and coated in suds & whiskers, I still felt plenty of grip and confident that it would not slip. Very similar to the Aluminum Guerilla, maybe a tad bit better on the Bronze.

I completed 3 passes of unadulterated shave bliss with the .69 plate and not a single issue to mention nor speak of. Glide on the skin with a Feather installed meeting the skin & suds was like sliding on oil. Blade feel was minimal yet the cutting ability paired with the smooth feel on the skin produced the utmost in comfortable and almost mindless strokes for every pass. I can really use the comparison of a hot knife through butter to practically describe what the Bronze Guerilla was doing. It went through the whiskers with ease and with just supreme comfort and confidence in the knowledge that precision & quality was at work during the shave. I can say that the weight and feel of alloy just brings a different dimension to the whole shave experience. It’s almost like an indulgence of having that soft serve sundae with the cherry on top and when you’re done, you just want more. That’s how this shave with the Bronze Guerilla felt like to me.

If the .69 gap was this good, I can only imagine how the .84 will feel like for the next shave. Tomorrow can’t get here fast enough. Wonderful shave that left the widest of grins on my face.

Great shaves to all…

E96E4329-B515-403B-B989-307236657E65.jpeg

Took today off to get a few things done prepping for the weekend and decided to get another shave in. Yesterday‘s shave was a very, very good one even with the milder .69 plate though deceptively efficient in removing whisker effectively & comfortably. Stubble growth is very light and I honestly could go on for the rest of the day and not shave until the evening but, hey it’s my day off and I can do as I please. And honestly, I’ve been chomping at the bit to get another shave in with the Bronze Guerilla.

Same set up as yesterday’s shave with just a different soap which by the way is a great creation from Southern Witchcrafts, Grave Fruit II. I’m a Tallow man through & through but, this stuff produces a gorgeous lather that is rich, creamy and super protective, plenty of residual slickness as well. The scent is awesome too.

All I needed was an ATG pass and an extended buff & touch up pass. So super smooth with light blade feel yet it cuts extraordinarily well. The extra heft just aids in keeping pressure to a minimum and the warmth of the Bronze is so good. It feels as if the whisker are being melted away or like being wiped off of my face & neck. Zero nics, weepers or irritation and I was good as new. I can’t tell you how long my face went whiskerless from yesterday evenings shave as I had the light stubble when I awoke this morning at 5:30am. I’ll post an update on this recent shave just to give a point of reference to those who might be inclined to putting weight to that criteria. I will say that it’s a YMMV thing in that everyone has different growth rates when it comes to facial hair so, it might be a moot point to post but, it is what it is.

I’ll skip a day or two just to give the .84 something more to tackle. I hope I can wait that long.

Great shaves to all….

FEC83F20-90E2-4136-84EE-3D23BAC968C9.jpeg

Overcast and a very chilly morning. That didn’t stop the Bronze Guerilla .84 from today’s shave. The Feather on its second use was simply magnificent. Blade feel is definitely kicked up ever so slightly (just as in the Aluminum version) but, in the best way possible that translates to a smooth and efficient feeling shave. This is a knockout combo that requires the Feather blade to get a shave or two in before it really smooths out. However, more importantly is the shave head geometry of the Guerilla ‘23 series of razors. Uncanny smoothness with ease of feel on the skin yet viciously tenacious & uncompromising against the whiskers. 2 days growth whittled down easily and comfortably in 2.5 passes without a single incident nor irritation to speak of. The extra weight of the Bronze truly really accentuates the cutting ability of this excellent tool that I feel it’s just as easy and perhaps even easier to achieve great results with the Bronze over its Aluminum counterpart. Truly a wonderful feeling shave that brought efficient yet smooth and calm behavior from this set up. Remarkable razor, really.

I’m going to swap out the .84 bronze plate and drop in the .99 Aluminum plate just for kicks and giggles. If it works well, I’m going to have to pick up the .99 bronze plate as well.

Great shaves to all….

C153A4CD-7A45-4F56-8E3C-82670EFAC52E.jpeg

Oh, what a shave. Went with the Aluminum.99 plate with the Bronze cap and Guerilla handle. Installed a 2nd use Gillette Minora, made some great suds with PAA’s Sangre De Drago and proceeded to give myself an absolute wonderful shave that had me done in 2 passes. Superbly efficient and still extremely smooth and easy on the skin. The .99 is without question the set up that one would want for moderate blade feel that still manages to combine comfort and efficiency in use. Marvelous shave that left the face & neck rubbery smooth yet calm and undisturbed of any irritation or mishaps even of the smallest nature. A BBS finish at its finest.

I can’t speak nor provide anymore positive accolades for the ‘23 Guerilla. Not one single shave can I say in earnest was either so so or mediocre. The Guerilla is as good as it gets in a quality crafted shaving tool. James at Wolfman Razors has updated this line up into something that works extremely well and that incorporates efficient action with a buttery smooth feel that puts it into rarified territory. Question is, is it crafted so that everyone can use it and get great results? In all honesty, no. There is no one universal shave tool that will work for every living wet shaver on the planet. There are far too many variables for me to list here in this post but, there is definitely enough range in the Guerilla line up to match up to a good majority of those wet shavers to find shave contentment on a daily basis or whatever shave schedule suits them. At the moment there are 3 alloys to choose from and 4 gap sizes to customize the razor to one’s shave needs or requirements. The biggest obstacle is of course price as the Guerilla though perhaps by those that own the higher end WR1/WR2 variants would view the Guerilla as an entry level Wolfman, it’s still a pricey razor with the Aluminum version being the most affordable of the set. It might be cheaper in price to the WR1’s and WR2’s but, the shave pedigree is apparent and the results one can get are still world class worthy of some of the best out there including Wolfman’s own.

Would I recommend it? In a shave heartbeat. Great shaves to all…

02ACE75A-F941-4FCE-B4F6-3EC50E8FE93F.jpeg

Came back to the Bronze Guerilla after some shaves with the Osprey. Picked right up where I left off. Just an excellent 3 pass shave with the .84 that borders on near mindless strokes of easy smoothness yet plenty of efficiency to tackle a few days worth of whiskers.

Quite a few consider the Guerilla as an entry level razor from the Wolfman ranks for those that want to test the waters before jumping all in. I can tell you with definitive opinion & experience having sampled a few WR1’s in my journey, this is no 2nd tier razor regardless of what anyone tells you. Looks might be a bit simplified with a sort of retro industrial vibe going on but, rest assured that this razor shaves as good as any Wolfman offering that is comparable to this razors shaving attributes & qualities within said house. In my opinion from the .69 - .99 gap base plate options there is more than enough range to satisfy the far majority of wet shavers out there minus the high performance shave chasers that need & prefer absolute blade feel and efficiency over comfort and smoothness but, the kicker here is that the Guerilla delivers better than average efficiency especially once the .99 gap plate comes into play.

Is the Guerilla a potential workhorse for the Wolfman name & brand? More importantly can it be the workhorse for the everyday shaver that can give a rats a** about bling, shiny and “Oh! I can see my pearly whites off of the top cap and everywhere else” on their high polished WR1/2? Absolutely and without reservation. This is a damn good razor in whatever alloy (or color in Aluminum only for now) tickles your fancy. A little more $$$ than some of the other artisan brand makers but, in my humble opinion worth every single penny spent.

On the fence about a Wolfman product and don’t want to wait until the next passing of Haley’s Comet? The Guerilla is as good a place as any to get your Wolfman curiosity fed as one will feel the quality and receive a world class Wolfman shave. From there, all hell can break loose by the Wolfman RAD bug if one is bit by it. I’m cool with both my Guerilla’s and need not go any further.

But, YOU might have a problem. Then again, it’s only money. 😋

Great shaves to all…..;)

D08B3C62-0478-4AA8-9047-7D420ED623FA.jpeg

Back