The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

And This is how I was supposed to save money!!!

arlopez

Jr. Shave Member
So while I was perusing Target once on a business trip around may 2016, I saw the VDH-Weishi rebranded TTO razor and some nicely packaged box that included an apothecary bowl, a boar brush a stand and a soap so I pulled the trigger.

My initial thought was not save money, nor did I knew the rabbit hole I was getting into, but what I was actually looking for was to have comfortable shaves. I was pushing those cartridges way past their expected use life and that obviously was pulling, tugging and leaving a lot of nicks behind.

I wasn't forced to shave at work, but once in a while I would shave my beard off out of bordom or wanting to change looks but once I read the instructions on the back side of one of those cartridges I said to myself....there's is no way in hell I'm gonna spend this much to only get 4 shaves out of this cartridge when I was well into a month and a half on that single one, mind tyou that I have a really full beard growth, so to me this change was a welcomed one.

4 mo in and I had already aquired a Muhle R41 and a Merkur Futur and although some razor burn from them, my actual 1st cut came from the Maggard's Slant, clocking already 6 mo into wet shaving.

I've used everything from Asylum Rx, Parthenon TTO, Gem Micromatic, Shick G model, Ikon Tek, Sterling HA, Fatip Lo storto and all, and only the Maggards actually cut me, but in hindsight I let all of the reviews and comments get into my head and was nervious as nervious can be, so since that instance I've learned to take all the comments from the forums with a grain of salt.

Although I had slowed somewhat my RAD, it comes and goes, my last adquisition was back in Feb this 2022(65 DE, SE, GEM, Injectors), and like many, I wasn't even shaving that much with all the work from home and not much social interactions that i started to grow my beard once again, this time it lasted a good 7 month and everybody was giving my a hard time.

Lo and behold I got the SR bug at the beggining of Sep 2022, so now I'm venturing into that side of shaving and it has been from dradfull to worrying and all in between I can't say that is still fun, well I guess it kindda is if i was looking at myself from the outside shitting myself the first couple of tries.

Today was my 13th shave and eventhough I had a small nick i think that I'm starting to get the hang of it. Not as close as with my trustworthy R41 but at least not visible stubble as the previous days.

So this is my SR journey so far and still keep all my apendages intact.

1.-11/10, So my 1st SR shave was with a Ralf Aust 6/8" American Point, Wenge Handle, that I bought from Maggards (properly honed), and Body Shop's Macca Root cream. Result: lots of missed hairs, obviously 3rd pass was an ATG only on the cheeks but still no cose shave in sight and 2 minor cuts on each cheek that looked more like a kitten had scratched me. No blodletting at least.
2.-11/11, Same Ralf Aust, DR Harris Arlington, No cuts this time,
3.-11/13, Ralf Aust, PAA Atmotic, Another kitty scratch,
4.-11/15, Ralf Aust, PAA Samhain, Some razor burn,
5.-11/19, Ralf Aust, PAA Samhain, okay,
6.-11/22, Maggard's 6/8 James Arman TTTFC, B & M Dickens, A scratch on my chin, but no blood,
7.-11/23, WOSTENHOLM & SONS IXL Rattler 13/16+" RESTORED, B & M Dickens, This was an ebay buy and I'm starting to think that It wasn't shave ready. No tugging nor pulling but too many hairs left behind,
8.-11/24, Wade & Butcher , B & M Dickens, This one was another ebasy find but unlike the Wostelholm, it wasn't restored so I bought this one as a project and honed it myself. better than the Wostelholm, but not by much. Guess need to work on my honning skills, LOL,
9.-11/26, Wade & Butcher , B & M Dickens, okay
10.-11/28, Wade & Butcher , LPL Cedar & Patchouli, Somehow i had lost the edge i had put on,
11.-11/30, WOSTENHOLM & SONS IXL Rattler 13/16+" RESTORED, B & M Dickens, Almost no edge, Lots of buffing
12.- 12/01, Maggard's 6/8 James Arman TTTFC, B & M Dickens, A small cut on my upper lip, it felt like a papercut, but amazingly, almost it didn't bleed. Some alum block feedback,
13.-12/02, Henckels 6/8 No. 72 1/2- Excellent Near Mint Stainless Steel Full Hollow - Solingen Straight Razor bought from Griffith Shaving goods(really felt a good edge), B & M Dickens, What a nice shave, I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it. Closer, no hairs visible, but still miles behind the R41 close,
1670043205026.png1670043244737.png1670043269948.png1670043315255.png

Well well well.

So, continuing with the subject on "How to be delusional and think you are savung a ton of money", just bought a lot of SR for me to start honing and trashing them while I learn to hone.

$149 for 20 SR wasn't a bad deal if you get just 1 good working blade out of it, or so i keep telling myself:p:p:p:p:p:p.

So far have cleaned them all up and lets say "honed" 4 or 5 and shaved yesterday and today with a couple of them.

Yesterday SR shave #17 was ok with the Nobiru,
1671146110684.png
and today's SR shave #18 with a Herder was a little better.
1671146145941.png

I know I shouldn't be playing with a lot of variables, but what the heck, that's how I lived my whole life.

Don't think I'm any good at honing yet, so I must attribute this to my improved muscle memory and gained confidence that hope doesn't become cockinness

Back