The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

An Emotional Acquisition in process.. Thought I would share

BarberDave

I pre-date cheese sauce
Owner
Veteran
Legacy
First Responder
So... let me set the stage. in about 1974 my mom went to a well known Jeweler to buy my father a present for Christmas, Back in the 50's my father had lost his wedding ring, and in his profession he did not wear rings much... Patient care and all. Anyway "Frederick Fischer Jewelers was there jeweler of choice, as dad had purchases gold carved bangles ( which my mom loved) and were all the rage back in the 70's. She not only purchased him a ring, but also a 14k Bulova Accutron dress watch. I think the total for both the ring an the watch totaled about $350.00 at the time, LOL. Pictured below is dad sporting the 70's look in shirts and hair as well as the ring and watch. ( Tucson was always casual) and this is about 3 years before he died in 78 at the age of 48.

2.jpg1.JPGo
Anyway, come forward some years and I was to propose to @AvocadoQueen , but at the time money was not in abundance so I wanted to do something special, so we took my dad's ring and Diamond, along with her grandmothers ring, found a jeweler and had a custom rose gold wedding ring made, thus combining our history's. No come forward to today some 45 yrs since his passing and more like almost 50 from when he got the ring.. Mom and him are enjoying each other in heaven, and I have been wanting that ring. The watch is long since gone sadly, but I was on a quest to get this ring re-done.

Searched and search to no avail, until one day in searching for any remnant or connection to Frederick Fischer Jewelers, I found Thigpen Jewelers on the East side of town. Ironically in a strip mall just in front of St Joseph's Hospital, where I was born. Long story Long, I discovered that Bill Thigpen, once worked as a jewelry designer for the same Frederick Fischer Jewelers in the 70's and remembered that ring. So over the two months or so, he searched high and low to see if it was being made anywhere, again, to no avail. So he searched through his archives and found he was the original designer, on my dad's ring ( que Twilight Zone Music ) So in about two-three weeks we discussed, picked a Diamond, and had the casting done, Over the next couple of weeks he got the mold, I approved and hopefully in about 2-3 weeks I will have the re-creation of my Fathers Ring, which will be worn as my wedding ring from now on.

Here is the casting mold. Will post once I get. Sometimes there is truth to Karma, the stars aligning, and who says you can never go back.. I CAN'T WAIT!!

the diamond will be suspended in a mount that will be surrounded by a black antiquing so it will look as if the Diamond in floating in space. It will be a satin finish Gold.

Ring.jpg
Anyway, it is probably the most important Acquistion I have had in a long time

Wonderful story. Local artisans like this can be such a gift to their community

Awesome post Dave!

I have to admit though. At one point in your story I thought you might say that you were going to dig up bodies. Glad you didn’t have to resort to that.

Seriously though. Love this thread!

Very late to the thread, but I wanted to say that this is a remarkable story. And brother, you really resemble your father. Thanks for sharing.

Back