The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

All things coffee and tea

DocHoliday0831

Won't Share His Sugar Daddy
Legacy
I have always been a coffee fan but recently I have begun exploring the finer tastes of different beans and roasts. Talk about your favorite coffee and teas and all things related so maybe I can learn a bit from those that could be “brewmasters”!

I have always been a coffee fan but recently I have begun exploring the finer tastes of different beans and roasts. Talk about your favorite coffee and teas and all things related so maybe I can learn a bit from those that could be “brewmasters”!

I only really know coffees and teas from a consumer’s perspective. My wife knows a bit more because she runs the church coffee bar.

Favorite teas:

- Chai, preferably in latte form, iced or hot
- Hong Kong style Milk Tea, generally a strong tea like Earl Grey with honey and sweetened condensed milk added.

Favorite coffees:

- Caramel Macchiatos, allows more of the coffe flavors to be tasted but still with plenty of sweetness to smooth it out (yes I like a little coffee with my creamer)

Best of both worlds:

- Dirty Chai, chai tea latte with a shot or two of espresso mixed in

Great thread!

As far as coffee goes, if I have the time to make it, I'm partial to a pour-over of medium to dark roast espresso beans, freshly ground to a medium grind. (I'm another like Chris who likes some coffee with his cream and sugar)

As far as tea is concerned, a nice Oolong or green tea is hard to beat, and has more caffeine than coffee. They also have less tannin in them than a typical black tea, so the bitter taste is decreased. Just make sure that you brew them at the right temperature. Nothing is worse than burnt green tea...blech!

Colombian Dark Roast. Grind fresh daily. We use a Ninja Coffee contraption thing that makes a good pot of coffee. If my coffee is hot I like it black nothing added. If I am drinking cold coffee must be iced not that blended crap. And I prefer mochas or something caramel.

As to tea I drink a lot of tea also. If I had to pick a favorite it would probably be a nice Earl Gray.

My favorite commonly available coffee is Peets Major Dickason's Blend. It is a medium dark roast. But if you can find a good roaster in your area, nothing beats freshly roasted.

When it comes to tea, my preference is Pu-Erh. It is a fermented black tea. They can either naturally ferment it or chemically do it. The chemical can have a bit of an aftertaste to it, so I try to make sure to find the natural stuff. I haven't taken the plunge to buy a cake of it though.

I am quite partial (like the others in this thread to a bit of coffee in my cream and sugar) to iced Caramel Macchiato for my coffee. Tea on the other hand is something I am not experienced much in. I brew Lipton on the stove and my wife does the green tea brewing for the household but otherwise no real experience with it.

Major respect to all those that can really get into coffee. I'm a flavored creamer type of guy, so most of it is wasted on me. Although, I've found the Christmas blend at Starbuck to be fairly mild, so my wife buys 3 5lb bags (it's no longer bagged for 1lb retail sales) when it's out so we can use it all year.

Tea drives me nuts. I love the smell of it, but it almost always smells a lot better than it tastes. Though again, I know if you get into it and experiment, you can find things that are worth the trouble. I did get into the loose tea thing for a while with one of those brewers that drains into a cup under it for a while. But the clean-up at work just make that start collecting dust. The one bagged tea I will buy though is the Earl Grey from Fortum and Mason in London. I've found this has very little tannin and nice flavor, so it doesn't leave your mouth and teeth feeling like sandpaper. For the moment it's carried by William Sonoma and they had free shipping.

I ordered myself a French press and a grinder yesterday and am going to start experimenting with some cold brew stuff later this week. My hope is that I can make some Macchiato at home and save some money. By the way Dunkin Doughnuts here has a waay bigger and better Caramel Macchiato than Starbucks and it is 2$ cheaper.

Back