The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Agressive Razors

SteveChuckFrank

Close Enough*
I'm looking for suggestions on aggressive DE razors. I've been having a hard time with razor burn and it's been suggested that I try an aggressive razor with a smooth blade. So if anybody wants to offer up their $.02, I'm listening!

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but the only way to remedy the issue with razor burn is improving your technique. You are, most likely, using a bit too much pressure in those areas and if you would ease up on the pressure and, probably, do one less pass or a different directional pass, you would see some improved results.

If, however, you would still want to experiment with aggressive razors, there is a plethora of them.
* Muhle R41
* Ikon Tech
* Blackbird
* Timeless .95
* Progressive on setting 5+
* Parker Variant on setting 5
etc.

Good luck.

Interesting that you were advised to address razor burn by using a more aggressive razor. Razor burn (in my experience) is a result of severe exfoliation -- cutting not just whiskers but taking off the top layer of the epidermis. As with sunburn, damage to that top layer of skin caused by a razor makes for a general burning feeling. A sharper blade makes sense to me, but I think I'd address razor burn with a less aggressive razor sporting a sharper blade.

But you asked about aggressive razors, and @Celestino has some good suggestions. I'd add the Asylum Rx to the list. I haven't used a more aggressive razor than that. The Schick Proline is a sharp blade that pairs well with it.

Wishing you well with your shaves.

Following up: What combination of razor and blade has been giving you razor burn? Knowing that might help people bracket it for you.

I'm 100% in agreement with the statement that I need to work on my technique! However, someone did recommend that I use a more agressive razor. Figured it's worth a shot.

The last 3 setups I used with bad results were a Stirling DE3P6 loaded with an Astra SP and then a Shark Chrome. The third was a RazoRock Tech II loaded with a Feather Hi Stainless.

I'll also add that the irritation is less burn and more bumps. I do get some burn though. Sorry, I know that's kind of avague description.

If you want aggressive, you could do a Gillette Old Type. Or if you want to try another style razor, you could go with a GEM or injector. They are available pretty cheap.

If you want aggressive, you could do a Gillette Old Type. Or if you want to try another style razor, you could go with a GEM or injector. They are available pretty cheap.

I haven't really looked to much into the used razor market. I've definitely started to compile a list of wants from what I've seen in the collections of others though.

If the OLD type is something I can pick up relatively cheap, I might look into it. The aggressive razor/smooth blade combo seems to be my thing.

It may not sound like it, but it's not a bad suggestion to try. I had a similar experience early on - using the Micro Touch One. My first razor, very mild, and I struggled to get good shaves with it. Stuck with it for a few months. Tried shimming it, and got better results. Picked up an R41-13 and things started to get really good pretty quickly. Being able to feel the blade improved my technique quite a bit, and more quickly. I also discovered that blade angle played a large part of the issues I was having. It's been 3 years and to this day anytime I use a shallow angle for the blade (whether the razor requires it or not) causes bad skin reactions and ingrowns. Steep angle agrees with my skin.
Anyway, my favorite razor so far is the Ikon Tech. It's all I use now.
Good luck in your journey to shaving bliss!

I'm looking for suggestions on aggressive DE razors. I've been having a hard time with razor burn and it's been suggested that I try an aggressive razor with a smooth blade. So if anybody wants to offer up their $.02, I'm listening!

Of course I understand that in doing experimentation such as this, price point is going to be a major consideration. But the ATT H1 (closed comb) or H2 (open comb) are pretty aggressive. It ranks right up there to the Muhle R41 (according to those that have used both, of which I am not one). I have the stainless version of the H2, and it is my go to DE option. ATT now makes aluminum versions of this for just under $100. If you end up liking an aggressive razor over what you are currently using, it might be an option for you. The cool thing about ATT is that you can return it for a full refund within 30 days if you are not satisfied.

Back