The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Advice needed

John Paul

Jr. Shave Member
Hi fellas, I’ve been wet shaving for 20 years now, I’ve tried a lot of brushes, and settled on my favorites Shavemac and thater. It seems like the trend is2 bands now, and They seem to be growing in popularity. I have my eye on a Thater from Bullgooseshaving, it’s a 26 mm 2 band fan round on a nice big handle..it’s $189, but less expensive than the Paladins. A similar shavemac is about the same price. I’m a face latherer, and most guys seem to really like the 2 bands.
should I pull the trigger on the Thater?
is there a break in. For these two bands?

I can’t speak for the Thayer, but I have 4 Shavemac fans in 22, 24 (2) and 26mm. I have not experienced a break in, and they are everything I had hoped for. I like the fact that I can customize the brush handle, color, type of hair and loft.

The truth is, get what you want. Two band, three band, premium silvertip, super badger, Manchurian badger, (boar, horse, synthetic, etc.), ultimately it doesn’t matter. Most higher end brushes all work about the same, with some minor variations. (Even the $10.00 boar brush from the local pharmacy will make lather. Ask me how I know).

You guys are right, all the two band brushes I looked at are close to $200 or more..I’ll just stick with my three ban Shavemac, and Thater. The Thater is 10 years old, looks like new, its built like a tank and fit for a prince. Great brushes if you haven’t tried them yet, Bullgooseshaving carries them, and Phil is a pleasure to deal with

The truth is, get what you want. Two band, three band, premium silvertip, super badger, Manchurian badger, (boar, horse, synthetic, etc.), ultimately it doesn’t matter. Most higher end brushes all work about the same, with some minor variations. (Even the $10.00 boar brush from the local pharmacy will make lather. Ask me how I know).
This is pretty much my experience. It is not however, everyone's.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Back