The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

about me

okay. I'm an older guy in my fifties who got into straight razors by accident. thought it was pretty cool so I started reading on them and I've ended up here

I may ask some pretty stupid questions because I really have no concept of a big blade and my neck

apparently we have to sharpen these things ourselves LOL that brings us to a entirely new set of stupid questions. but I will go through old threads and see what's already been talked about and how far behind I am.

I am a father of four. I was a single dad. I still talk to all my kids everyday. three sons and none of them believe in any razors of any kind.

that being said, I am open to learning anything, trying anything. I have no preferences or desires I know a few of the popular old time brands like Wade and butcher and double duck

that's about it with me. look forward to learning about everyone else. I am plenty talkative with plenty of time
Welcome Jimmie, I can't tell you much about straight razors since I use almost exclusively safety razors. I do have a few shavettes but because of loss of some fine motor skills I get really nervous trying to get my hands to contort. There are however many excellent straight enthusiasts here with a great wealth of experience and expertise who will be more than happy to provide you answers.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Welcome Jimmie, I can't tell you much about straight razors since I use almost exclusively safety razors. I do have a few shavettes but because of loss of some fine motor skills I get really nervous trying to get my hands to contort. There are however many excellent straight enthusiasts here with a great wealth of experience and expertise who will be more than happy to provide you answers.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
thank you. I'm not sure what problems you have but I have a few problems myself, I have to question the reasoning behind putting a sharp blade to my throat LOL move out something about the history of these things just draw me in wondering who had it a hundred years ago. this looks like a useful place I just don't want to ask any stupid questions and irritate anybody

This looks like a useful place I just don't want to ask any stupid questions and irritate anybody
Don’t worry about this. There are many of us that were that guy who asked a bunch of questions at one time, yours-truly included. We are a really inclusive group and enjoy freely giving up knowledge. It’s good for the forum to have discussion about even the most basic stuff! Other people who are new to the hobby can learn from your questions too!

So, ask away! 😄

Welcome to The Cadre, @jimmie ! There is a Zoom call coming up this Friday. Please consider joining in. We're a friendly bunch with a broad age span and experience.

Be sure to go to the end of the thread to get to the latest sign-ip list. :)

Back