The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

A Multi-Day Shave Review of the Parker Premium Platinum DE Blade

Shave #6 - Gillette OLD Type

This is a combination deserving of more respect than I gave it today. Almost every inch of my face is irritated. My face is also DSBBS. The blade was smooth and efficient, but seriously aggressive in this razor. I think this blade is going to hold its edge for quite a while.

Shave #7 - Comparison shave versus GSB

I felt bad binning the first blade after only 6 shaves. I am sure it had many more shaves before it would have started to degrade.

Last night I pulled out a new blade for today's shave against a Gillette Silver Blue and loaded one of each into a Merkur 38c. This morning it was GSB on the left, Parker on the right for three passes. It was a great shave on both sides. I couldn't tell during the shave which blade was better. On shave number on, on my face, they shave equally well. It wasn't until I applied alum that I noticed any difference, and what I did notice was only slight. The Parker had slightly more irritation on my neck. It was a barely perceptible difference.

Since my first shave with the Parker blade I have been thinking about having today's shave. My first thought after my very first pass with the Parker was that I should compare it to a GSB. I am glad that I did. My gut was right. For me they are equivalent blades.

Shave #8 - Comparison shave versus Derby Premium

Another great shave. Both blades worked well and very similarly. The Derby felt like it was dragging more. Also, the alum and AS gave me more feedback on the Derby side of my face after the shave.

I am convinced that these are not the same blade. They may be produced in the same facility, but they are different.

Shave #8 - Comparison shave versus Derby Premium

Another great shave. Both blades worked well and very similarly. The Derby felt like it was dragging more. Also, the alum and AS gave me more feedback on the Derby side of my face after the shave.

I am convinced that these are not the same blade. They may be produced in the same facility, but they are different.

Thanks Doug! Great work! ?

Shave #9 - Comparison shave versus Astra SP

Um... Which blade is which again? I can't tell. The performance of these two blades was scarily similar. I could have been shaving with two of the same blade for all that I could tell even when applying alum and AS splash. It was kinda freaky, to be honest.

Shave #9 - Comparison shave versus Astra SP

Um... Which blade is which again? I can't tell. The performance of these two blades was scarily similar. I could have been shaving with two of the same blade for all that I could tell even when applying alum and AS splash. It was kinda freaky, to be honest.

Wow, another surprise shave off! Way to go Parker!

Very good info Doug.
1f44d.png

Thanks, Lane. Good to see you here.

Back