The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

A Multi-Day Shave Review of the Parker Premium Platinum DE Blade

dkeester

"TSC's Master of Bourbon"
First off, a couple of pictures (courtesy of the Super Safety Razors web site) so everyone can get a good view of the product.

Overview
The Parker Premium Platinum DE blade is a new product from Parker Safety Razors. According to the Interwebz, the blades are produced at a production facility in Turkey. There is a rumor that the facility is the same one that produces Derby blades, but that is not substantiated. The blades made from Swedish Stainless Steel manufactured by Sandvik. The production equipment is German made. After honing the edges are coated with Platinum Chromium-Ceramic Tungsten & Polymer, which sounds similar to the coating used on Derbys.

This will be a multi-day shave review using a variety of razors from my den. I will update this thread daily until I feel that I have given the blade a thorough review. I might even do some comparison shaves later on, if there is interest.

Packaging
The cardboard sleeve which held the tucks was sturdy and held together well in the bubble mailer that Amazon shipped the blades in. I found the dispenser difficult to open, but that didn't really matter since I am not storing the blades in the cardboard sleeves. The tucks are individually wrapped and are the standard plastic that we are used to when dealing with DE blades. I can see why some people think that they are produced at the same plant as Derbys. The tucks are almost identical to Derby tucks, but that could just be that they have a supplier in common. Overall, the packaging is better than many blades, i.e. no flimsy cardboard tucks. Each blade is singly wrapped in wax paper with the usual glue spots left on the blade. (I did not compare, but it seems like less glue than you would get on an Astra SP.)

Cost
Disclosure: I was able to purchase these blades using a 20% discount code that is no longer available, so my cost on them was ~$9.43 per 100.
The cost from Maggard Razors or Super Safety Razors is $12.95 per 100 count box. The price that I have seen on Amazon is $11.79 for the same 100 count box. For the sake of having a number to start with, let's call the cost $0.13 per blade. At that cost it is not the cheapest blade out there. Astra SP is about $0.09 per blade. Shark Super Chrome is $0.10. GSB is $0.18. Voskhod is $0.13. Derby Premium is $0.09. Gillette 7O'Clock Super Stainless is $0.17. (All of those are Amazon prices. Places like eBay might have some of them for less.) However, it certainly isn't the most expensive either. I would call it a competitive price.

Performance
Here is where we get to the good parts...

Shave #1 - Merkur 34c
Starting off with my favorite DE. The shave was mild, smooth, and efficient. The blade had no problem cutting through the stubble for three passes with no stutters, pulling, or dragging. I did not really notice the blade as I was shaving. I consider this a good thing. There was no irritation from the blade, but I may be sensitive to one of the coatings since my face felt itchy after the shave until I applied ASB. My face is BBS- in three passes and a couple of hours later still feels great. After one shave I would say this is a really great blade. I can't wait to shave with it again.

More tomorrow.

Nice initial view of the blades Doug. Looking forward to seeing how these blades evolve with use and seeing how long they last compared to some of their competitors on the market.

All your reviews are super thorough. Good stuff! But 13 cents a blade??? You think we're made of money??

Wow! What a great review! Very thorough and detailed. Thanks for the hard work!

Shave #2 - Fatip Piccolo
My second favorite razor gets the call for the second day of my review. I flipped the blade when I installed it in the Piccolo.

I have always had good luck with the Piccolo. It can, and does, bite. However, it works very well. The Parker blade was right at home in the razor giving me a smooth shave with no pulling, dragging, or skipping. It is a good combination and I am loving my face again today. This morning's shave also lacked the itchy feeling that I got yesterday. Perhaps that was a fluke, but I will pay attention to the first shave with the next Parker DE blade. After two shaves I would put the blade in the same performance category as Astra SP for me, or perhaps GSB. Time, and more shaves, will tell. I took only two passes today with a bit of cleanup on the neck. The cleanup irritated me, but that was totally user error.

More on this blade tomorrow.

If there is a razor that you would like to see me use, and I own one, I would be happy to give it a test shave during this review. Let me know.

Great review Doug. If it works as good as Astral SP, it is a good blade in my book.

Shave #3 - 1940's Gillette Super Speed

Another great shave today. The blade continued to perform admirably and left me with perhaps the best shave I have had with a Super Speed. There was no noticeable performance degradation in the blade during the shave. However, the stubble on my cheeks came back more quickly today. Tomorrow will tell if that was due to blade degradation or blade angle from the Super Speed. I am still really enjoying this blade.

If anyone would like to try one of these, PM me.

Interesting! So it sounds like it's better than Derby Extra - do you find it at all similar to Derby Premium? Or can you say it's definitely not the same as either Derby blade?
Thanks for the review!

Interesting! So it sounds like it's better than Derby Extra - do you find it at all similar to Derby Premium? Or can you say it's definitely not the same as either Derby blade?
Thanks for the review!

First off, it is good to see you on the forums, Jonah.

I haven't tried Derby Premium yet, but the Parkers are definitely better than Derby Extra. I think I have a tuck of the Premiums laying around. I will have to try one and compare.

First off, it is good to see you on the forums, Jonah.

I haven't tried Derby Premium yet, but the Parkers are definitely better than Derby Extra. I think I have a tuck of the Premiums laying around. I will have to try one and compare.
For sure, Doug! One of the few members I've met in person. ?

It would be interesting to compare, since there is talk of being made in the same factory as Derby... If you can't locate any, I think I have a few loose Premiums around I could get to you.

Shave #4 - Parker 99R TTO

This maybe should have been the first shave...

The Parker-in-Parker action was really good this morning. I think this blade is going to have a decent amount of longevity. It is still going strong; and in the 99R it gave me a really great three pass BBS-. It is still effortlessly mowing down the stubble.

I think this would be a good blade choice for the "One Blade in February" challenge, if that is going to be a thing here.

Thanks for the awesome reviews of this blade. I may have to buy some of these if they continue as good as they have so far.

So, I found a tuck of Derby Premiums in the den, and used one for today's shave. I do not think that they are the same blade. The smoothness is similar, but the Parker cuts more efficiently. I had more leftover stubble with the Derby than I did on shave one of the Parker. My razor today was a Merkur 38c, so the razor was different, FYI.

So, I found a tuck of Derby Premiums in the den, and used one for today's shave. I do not think that they are the same blade. The smoothness is similar, but the Parker cuts more efficiently. I had more leftover stubble with the Derby than I did on shave one of the Parker. My razor today was a Merkur 38c, so the razor was different, FYI.
Thanks Doug!
Any plans to use the two blades in the same razor?
It's just curiosity mainly...
It is good to see a new, nicely performing blade, come to market.
1f603.png

Thanks for bringing it to our attention. (I think!)

Thanks Doug!
Any plans to use the two blades in the same razor?
It's just curiosity mainly...
It is good to see a new, nicely performing blade, come to market.
1f603.png

Thanks for bringing it to our attention. (I think!)

I am thinking about doing some side-by-side reviews. I have not yet decided on which blades.

Shave #5 - RazoRock Teck II

Yet another great shave. This blade is definitely a winner. No tugging, pulling, or skipping. It is still sharp and smooth.

Back