The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

A look at the Gasman

Gasman

Shave Member
I'm not much into shaving Journals as it's been many years since the beginning of my wet shaving or when I tossed the carts away. But here is a little about myself. Sorry, it's so long. I've been around as they say.

Originally from California. Went to school and was raised in Tulare and Visalia. Central valley boy. My family had a farm and I played on trucks and learned to drive then at the age of 16. I got in trouble like any other kid in the 70s, but just didn't get caught doing the worst of stuff. I worked in the California Conservation Corp for a year living in the woods and learning to fight fires. It was fun and I learned a lot about living the hard life in the woods. But after a year I had enough and wanted more real life. I ran with the Carnivals for 3 years off and on. Living on the road and traveling. Driving truck, setting up, and tearing down rides. Then run the rides, getting lost in female companionship. I won't go into that, but will just say I got IT so often I could begin to count. I was doing lots of drugs and alcohol and have lost a bit of memory during that part of my life.

Then decided to straighten my life up. So I joined the Army.
I was stationed only stateside. Spent most of my time at Ft. Benning, Ft. Jackson, and Ft. Brag. Yep, I was Airborne. When I got out of the Army I was an Airborne in a Leg outfit. Operating and maintaining Generators for the Hawk Missle System. I still spent time driving a truck and fueling Generators even at that time. I've always been around trucks. After I got out of the Army I spent some years in Missouri. Turning wrench and driving truck on the side. Met my first wife but never had children. Left my first wife there too. Marriage was a good learning experience for 3 years and I'm happy I didn't have children.

Moved back to California. Drinking and drugging more. Turning wrench and driving on the side for farm equipment. Met my second wife and moved to northern California where she ran the DMV. I got into operating heavy equipment then truck driving. I Did a lot of foundation work for new homes and digging for utilities. Then got into Driving over the road. I did OTR driving for 2 years when my wife decided to go back to school. I can get a job anywhere and I wanted to spend more time at home. I had to quit all the drugs as peeing in a cup was beginning to be a big thing at that time. And I was getting older and needed to get serious about my carrier/life.

We moved to Washington state for a few years for the wife's schooling and I had a job in the first week driving and operating equipment. Then we moved to Colorado for the last of the wife's schooling. I was working within 2 days. I got into hauling fuel at this time and the wife went to work for the Army dealing with soldiers coming back from the wars. Dealing with PTSD. She finally retired stating the Doctors were crazier than the people she was trying to help. About this time I decided to quit spending so much money on shave equipment and learn to properly wet shave. Ha! We all have heard that one before. I kept driving a truck hauling fuel and bought my first and only house at the age of 50. In the midst of all that the wife had two boys from previous marriages, I helped raise. I was not their dad! But the man of the house. They both became Electricians and are both doing well on their own. at this time Well, the youngest one is still a pain in my side as he had a daughter and never got married. He and his girlfriend were bad in the drugs and got caught and as the story goes, had a miserable life for a while. He got rid of her and got his daughter but the wife and I are raising his daughter. It's a sad story I won't get into. But we have baled him out a few times and got his life straightened, then he falls down again.

Anyways, I keep driving trucks, hauling Gas. In the last few years, my body has decided to start breaking down and arguing with me about everything. Physically I'm falling apart but my health is good. The wife has had issues with cancer and a couple of other things that about killed her but she is back healthy again and is still the mean old woman she used to be. Keeps me in line and my house clean. I collect and restore straight razors. Sell one now and then. Try to help men I know and meet to learn the way for wet shaving and just keep on keeping on. I'm a part of another forum or three and it helps to pass the time. 12 years or so back I got into radio and started to learn to repair CB radios for a little spending money. I also got my HAM license and became an Extra class operator. I have a room in the house just for radio and most of the drivers in the area come to me for radio repair and upgrades. I keep busy, to say the least.

This is my Saturday eve. I'm sitting here in my room, scanning the radio frequencies, looking to work someone with a decent signal, drinking a few beers, and watching a few music vids. I enjoy Heavy metal and have been in a few bands in the past. Played drums in the end of my music carrier. Well, it was more like guys getting together on a weekend drinking, drugging, and making noise. But it was fun.

See ya around the Forum and thanks for having me. I'm open to questions and comments.

Wow! Great to know ya, thanks for sharing! That you “been around” is an understatement 😂

Sounds like you lived life, made some bad choices, then got your butt in gear. Thanks for your service! 😎👍

Holy Cow! That is quite the introduction! Glad you learned from all or most of your experiences. Glad you started a journal. It doesn't always have to be about shaving. We just like to talk about life around here too. Thanks for sharing!

Welcome!

That was quite the intro. I identified with a few things you wrote and shook in my boots on some others. I saw the photos of your gear in another thread. You officially have a problem. I'm new here too. I think we can get TSC group rates on mental health counseling. I'll check. Maybe I can get a ride with you to our weekly sessions. :LOL:

Extra class operator here too, but I haven't been on the air in a while. Do you run HF mobile in your truck?

I'll save you the trouble of watching. Navy will win, probably about 24 - 21. 🐐

1639064758974-gif.69529
1639064833014.gif

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Attachments

• 1639064758974.gif
    1639064758974.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
I thank you all for the comments. It was fun writing down a bit of my life. I have learned and led an interesting life. I feel bad for some folks I meet that have never left the state they were born in or have never moved around much. I'm done moving now. I bought my house when the market was low for 137K and it's now worth triple that so I did well in that choice. And I think I can keep driving and hauling fuel until I go in for my bi-yearly physical and they say "You can't see. What the hell are you doing driving a truck". At that time I guess I will retire.

I had HF in the truck but I found it too much of a hassle as I didn't get a lot of chance to play. Plus I only had a tuner on the 11-meter antennas. It worked and I picked up a few JA's on 17m and such. If I was a long-haul driver it may be more fun.
;)

Hey, welcome to the Journals section. Its interesting to really get to know some of the folks on here and the journals are a real window into their lives. Some of my best friends are because of the cadre!

I'm from Missouri myself! Its a shame you had a tough time while you were here. Where were you living at that time?

Matt

Hi Matt.
I was in St. Charles and St Peters mainly. Also lived in Winfield if ya know where that hole in the wall is. I worked closer to St. Louis in a few towns. Played pool and drank a lot back then. Lol. Was around for the big flood in 1993 I think it was.

Back