The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

A Long Way To Go

Soap Thing

Shave Member
Active Duty
I had to take a break from the forums for a while. My wife Kristina was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, she had an attack that caused both her hands to go permanently numb. We have had to make a lot of changes to our day to day life as a result of this new illness.

I spent a lot of hours in my shave den pondering my hobby, among other things, and what I think I have deduced is this:

I think a major part of the whole attraction to this hobby is the fact that it is a road of discovery and an exercise in self discipline. The key to finding great razors, brushes, blades etc, is to try it. Trial and error. The specs on paper, on a razor for example, will likely not be a great indicator on wether you will like the razor. I recently had two razors in my shave den that should’ve been nearly identical in how they shaved. One was the Haircut & Shave N075, with a blade gap of .75mm and “neutral” blade exposure. The other was the Karve B Plate, with a blade gap of .73mm and a blade exposure of “0”. So you would think that both of these would shave nearly the same. Not the case. The H&S was wildly more efficient than the Karve. The only way I could have figured that out was to discover it for myself. Is this a bad thing? Not if you have money to sink into a hobby like this. But if you’re somebody who still views shaving in the same regard as taking a shower or getting dressed for work, you’re just going through the motions, then this could be quite discouraging. And then when you ask for advice. Everyone gives you a different answer based on their own experiences.

When people ask me what razors, blades, or soap, they should buy first, I now simply say “that’s a tough question for somebody else to answer for you”. That is both the blessing and the curse of having such an extreme amount of variety to chose from. Trying to break yourself of simple habits and willing complicate your daily routine is one of the reasons so many people don’t even know this hobby exists. There’s too much information presented at once, too many variables, and too many options. Some vendors and prominent shavers in the community have developed beginner kits, but even those have baggage that has to be unpacked.

It also requires weeks, even months of practice to get comfortable with a double edge or single edge razor. When you change to a new brand of blade or a new razor, you have to start all over again and give yourself at least a week of practice to get it dialed in before making a judgement on wether you’ll like it or not.

Where am I going with this you ask? Traditional shaving is basically the model car crowd. We are all trying to build that Oldsmobile 442 out of chrome plated plastic and paint, and make it look like the one on the box. Is this a problem? No. Both hobbies simply require you to be willing to jump as far down a rabbit hole as humanly possible. Both hobbies are supposed to be therapeutic. That’s how I have come to view my hobby that takes up my whole bathroom and has my wife pointing at me and laughing hysterically. It is a truly brilliant therapeutic tool that enables discovery and reflection.

That’s why I shave the old fashioned way .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate to here that about the missus. I would imagine that does require a lot of changes to both of your lifestyles and normalcy.

I was determined not to fall too far down the rabbit holes and have managed to do a decent job. All the gear that I currently have will deliver a quality shave for me and I am comfortable with the various bits of kit that I have. I am now in the process of slowly reducing inventory a bit, just for space considerations. I still enjoy my shaves and enjoy the quiet time.

Welcome to the journals!

I hate to here that about the missus. I would imagine that does require a lot of changes to both of your lifestyles and normalcy.

I was determined not to fall too far down the rabbit holes and have managed to do a decent job. All the gear that I currently have will deliver a quality shave for me and I am comfortable with the various bits of kit that I have. I am now in the process of slowly reducing inventory a bit, just for space considerations. I still enjoy my shaves and enjoy the quiet time.

Welcome to the journals!

I’ve been doing quite a lot of thinning too, mostly selling or giving away soaps on not using. A lot of new people have discovered the BSTs and soaps tend to sell pretty easily.

Sorry to hear about the missus’ health complication Benjamin! MS is a terrible illness to have to deal with. Good on you for being behind her 100%!

I decided very early on, after seeing how easily I could get into trouble, that I would not go bonkers with shaving acquisitions. I have come to appreciate that decision more as time moves along. Even with what I did get, I occasionally feel bad, like - “oh man, I haven’t used that in ages...I forgot I even had it”. I still have some key wants for a few things but I’m also feeling the need to thin too.

Sorry to hear about Kristina. There must be a lot of changes to make, and it's great that you're so supportive. Your thoughts on this hobby are well stated. I have to be more serious than I have been about my buying freeze, though I still haven't felt the need to thin the herd yet.

Welcome to the journals!

Sorry to hear about Kristina. There must be a lot of changes to make, and it's great that you're so supportive. Your thoughts on this hobby are well stated. I have to be more serious than I have been about my buying freeze, though I still haven't felt the need to thin the herd yet.

Welcome to the journals!

I have a feeling if my den was bigger I wouldn’t be rethinking my collection. Sometimes the best rehab is a one bathroom house .

Sorry to hear about your wife. My aunt lived with MS for 50 years. She had a rough road but the treatments they have today weren’t available for her until the disease had really progressed. They’ve really made a lot of headway in recent years. I hope her doctors can treat effectively to keep it in check.

Your thoughts on the hobby are spot on. When I first started with a DE, I looked like I tried to give both of my cats a bath at the same time everyday for about a month lol. Then it all finally clicked. Now I’m doing it all over again with SRs. Thankfully this process has gone a little bit better!

I will add my sympathy for your wife's diagnosis, and my encouragement for you both. My wife has a disease that sort of mimics MS. Life can be very challenging, and stressful. But we do whatever we can for the one we love the most. Your thoughts on shaving are similar to mine, and I have found it a place where I can recharge, something I can do every day, and it does help reduce some of the stressors.

But dang, the Karve B has been my goto razor since mid 2018, and now you introduce me to the Haircut and Shave?! After I just went nuts with single edge stuff??!! My wallet is doubling its defenses.

Hang in there, brother.

I will add my sympathy for your wife's diagnosis, and my encouragement for you both. My wife has a disease that sort of mimics MS. Life can be very challenging, and stressful. But we do whatever we can for the one we love the most. Your thoughts on shaving are similar to mine, and I have found it a place where I can recharge, something I can do every day, and it does help reduce some of the stressors.

But dang, the Karve B has been my goto razor since mid 2018, and now you introduce me to the Haircut and Shave?! After I just went nuts with single edge stuff??!! My wallet is doubling its defenses.

Hang in there, brother.

Hey that’s the beauty of this stuff is that it can come and go and you can recoup some cash from it. Especially hardware, it retains its value.

Back