The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

A Japanese Rock Collection

McVeyMac

Pride of Penn State
Veteran
Legacy

This was my initiation into JNAT honing when I got my first traditional Kamisori. I have added some additional stuff since, predominately more sets of Mikawa Nagura, but I have added some other interesting stuff as well. So it is time to get the rocks and the camera out and get some updated photos.

Now you just need one of those small sand boxes and rakes. Would make a great way to display them all.

I have never used a JNat. I’m curious but not so curious I am willing to jump down that rabbit hole. I look forward to seeing what you can do with your rocks Walt..

Here's my humble Japanese stones...well one stone and some naguras.

Shobudani Awasedo
Tomo Nagura (dark one)
Mejiro Nagura (skinny white)
Tenjiou Nagura (orange streaked)
Botan Nagura (large white)

Dagwoodz said:
Here's my humble Japanese stones...well one stone and some naguras.

Shobudani Awasedo
Tomo Nagura (dark one)
Mejiro Nagura (skinny white)
Tenjiou Nagura (orange streaked)
Botan Nagura (large white)

How are they woking for you Josh? Do you find a desire to add a Koma, or does this setup work well for you?

McVeyMac said:
How are they woking for you Josh? Do you find a desire to add a Koma, or does this setup work well for you?

I would love to get my hands on a Koma...BUT, I'm finding that this combination of stones is quite adequet for my purposes, to the point that spending the money on a good Koma Nagura would be redundant. I tend to do most of my work at the Tomo Nagura level anyways, often doing two different dilutions of the slurry and sometimes up to 40-50 laps or more at each dilution level, depending on what I'm doing with the razor. (refresh or if I've reset the bevel and am doing a full progression) Of course, the type of steel matters as well. (Swedish vs. Solingen vs. Sheffield) The extra laps don't really bother me as the Tomo stage is extremely zen.

Sorry...longer answer than necessary, lol.

I would love to get my hands on a Koma...BUT, I'm finding that this combination of stones is quite adequet for my purposes, to the point that spending the money on a good Koma Nagura would be redundant. I tend to do most of my work at the Tomo Nagura level anyways, often doing two different dilutions of the slurry and sometimes up to 40-50 laps or more at each dilution level, depending on what I'm doing with the razor. (refresh or if I've reset the bevel and am doing a full progression) Of course, the type of steel matters as well. (Swedish vs. Solingen vs. Sheffield) The extra laps don't really bother me as the Tomo stage is extremely zen.

Sorry...longer answer than necessary, lol.

So I've never used a nagura progression...mostly because I don't own one, but I think with most hard jnats, you can go from whatever bevel setter you ha e, all the way to finishing.

So I've never used a nagura progression...mostly because I don't own one, but I think with most hard jnats, you can go from whatever bevel setter you ha e, all the way to finishing.

It is possible to set a bevel using Botan nagura, but it will take some work. The Japanese have done it for centuries. Most honemeisters I have read suggest at least setting the bevel on the 1K synthetic, and to even progress to around 5k before going to Botan in the beginning. Over time, when you get good at reading the feedback, then you can go to Botan after 3K or 1K.

It is possible to set a bevel using Botan nagura, but it will take some work. The Japanese have done it for centuries. Most honemeisters I have read suggest at least setting the bevel on the 1K synthetic, and to even progress to around 5k before going to Botan in the beginning. Over time, when you get good at reading the feedback, then you can go to Botan after 3K or 1K.

This is typically how I do it...1.5k to 4k synthetic to set bevels then work through the nagura progression.

My current process is:

Bevel setter
~5k silt stone
Jnat with tomo slurry

Usually is a mirror edge and later sharp.

I guess this would be equivalent to a botan and tomo progression.

Back