The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

A Complete Review of Stirling Soap Company

CVargo

“Ya… Chris, Dave, It really is my fault"
Owner
Legacy
With it being Stirling theme week I feel this review was appropriate.

First of all I want to stress that this is 100% my opinion. I feel that I am in somewhat a unique situation where I have literally tried EVERYTHING from Stirling. Stirling has been around since 2012, I started buying from Stirling well in 2012! I have been a customer since the beginning and have experienced all the products and some of them flops but most of them GREAT. I was there when soap didn't come in a container, then you had to buy the soap, container, and label all separate. Then I remember when it all came together. To call me a fan boy is an understatement. I love the products and the way this company operates. Rod and Mandy have done a great job providing excellent products at an extremely fair price. It's amazing how much they have grown and if you haven't I highly recommend reading the About us page on their site to learn more about them About Us

So I want to literally review all the products here so buckle up this is going to a long post.

Shave Soaps:
So as I mentioned I have been buying the soaps for a long time and this is my main purchase item. I currently have 18 unique scents in my den, and I have used up a few as well, and PIFed away some that weren't to my liking in the scent department. Basically guaranteed you can find a soap here that meets your expectations scent wise, and with the generous 1 OZ sample you can test a bunch at a fair price as well. Originally the soaps came plastic wrapped and you can still get refills that way. Then they moved to metal tins, and now are in the green containers that we all love. As you can see in the photo below I show pics of the different options.
So the performance this is a tallow and lanolin based soap that the formula has stayed pretty consistent over the years, yes a few modifications here and there. Also with other options like the mutton formula, and also the beeswax formula which I also have as well. These soaps will provide you with an excellent lather and great face feel. This is proof you don't need to spend a lot of money to get a top quality product.

My favorite scents are Barbershop, Haverford, Bay Lime, Margaritas in the Arctic, Ramblin Man, and Sharp Dressed Man and this is pretty consistent across the whole line.

IMG_20190519_114616391_HDR.jpg

Aftershaves:

So I primarily use alcohol based aftershaves but is important to note that Stirling also offers a Witch Hazel formula and a balm. I do own some of each. The picture only shows the Alcohol based but I will review them all.

Alcohol Splash: The splashes are a great performer, with skin conditioning properties. The scents are also nicely scented and just strong enough to project but not fill the whole room. They match the soaps very well in the scent department. With added aloe, witch hazel, and glycerin you are going to get a good post shave feel as well. The price allows you get nicely scented products without breaking the bank. The picture below shows the different containers they have come in. I really like the new decanters as the restrictor is a bit slower which allows for getting the perfect amount.

Witch Hazel and Aloe: This formula is witch hazel heavy and I do get a scent of WH in each bottle I have. The performance is very good. And a great option for someone who doesn't want alcohol. They moisturize your skin and give a great post shave feel. They are scented well but don't have as good of longevity as the alcohol based splashes.

Balms: These balms to me tend to be a tiny bit on the greasy side, so go sparingly. These are lightly scented but do give you the option to get a nice balm applied as well. I don't use a lot of balms, but in the winter it is nice to add some extra skin goodies after my shave, so I do use an unscented balm quite regularly in the winter, and it doesn't interfere with whatever my shave is.

IMG_20190519_114658343_HDR.jpg

Beard an PreShave Oil:
So I do not have a beard and never have, so can't really talk about this product as a beard oil. In the beginning I did try it as a preshave oil, and a preshave oil guy I am not. I do use them sparingly. I currently do not have any in my den and it has been about 5 years since trying it.

Eau DE Toilette
So this is one of the NEWEST offerings from Stirling. And Stirling fanatics have been begging for this FOR years! We want the awesome scents in EDT strength. Well they delivered and hit it out of the park! For just $24.95 you can get your favorite scent in a beautiful glass bottle with nice nozzle. I get on average 8-10 hours from these EDTs and the samples are PERFECT for travel and only priced at $5. If you haven't tried these yet you are really missing out!

IMG_20190519_114847947_HDR.jpg

Bath Soaps
So 6oz of tallow based bath soap for under $5! It took me a while to get into this as I was a body liquid soap guy for years. I also fought with extremely dry skin. Well Stirling always includes something for free in your order and I had accumulated a bunch of bath soaps over the years. Finally one day I figured to try them. And well I was blown away after using for a week. The scents are great and not quite as strongly scented as the shave soap. My skin has improved greatly ever since switching to bar soap. My wife and I both use Stirling primarily. You can also get some specialty soaps here as well like mentha scrub, oatmeal, facial soap, etc just to name a few. If you are still using body wash or store bought bath soap, you should try a Stirling bar and see the difference. One full bar lasts me about 3 weeks of daily showers.

Not pictured.

Shampoo Bars
This is one I was cautious about to be honest. Again I have always used head and shoulders due to having eczema and flare ups happen regularly on my scalp, which leads to dandruff. And while I don't use bar shampoo exclusively I do tend to throw a bar or two into my orders. I then go every other day with them. They a do a good job cleaning my hair and and it is definitely different cleaning your hair this way. But I do enjoy them, but don't use as often as the other products.

Not pictured.

Body Lotion
Well as a guy I don't need lotion! WRONG! Admittedly my wife started with the body lotion before I did, but I figured I would get a scent one time and gave it a go. It has cured my dry ashy elbows and actually makes my skin not itch as often as it did. I know use Stirling Lotion in the morning and before bed pretty much daily. It is quick absorbing and not greasy which is very important to me. I am no longer ashamed to admit that I use body lotion.

IMG_20190519_114832068_HDR.jpg

Body Butters, Heel Palm Balm, and Lip Balm

Body Butters: Well I had no idea hat the difference was between body butter and lotion, and to be honest I really still don't. But some last winter because my skin was extremely dry and I was told this might help. Well it is quick absorbing and a touch on the greasy side compared to the body lotion. But it provide more skin goodies and really moisturizes. I am a believer in a good body butter especially during the harsh Utah winters.

Heel Palm Balm: So as many of you know I am a referee, and due to the harsh conditions during football season and constantly being on my feet, the callouses on my hands and feet where well disgusting! I started using this stuff last year as well, and my feet are much more healthy and prevents those painful callouses. It also helps with cracked knuckles which is very common for officials. I have a tub of this at my bed stand and one in my referee bag. I use it on my hands and feet after every shower now, and a little goes a LONG way. This is a great product! And I actually have my whole football crew using it now.

Lip Balm: Again with my mouth constantly on a whistle and being out in rough conditions, I go through a lot of chap stick. Occasionally I will get a a small tub of lip balm from Stirling. It does the job and that is all I ask for. Honestly I don't see much difference between it and a cheap chap stick. But I still enjoy getting some every now and then.

IMG_20190519_114943627_HDR.jpg

Deodorants
First I will say I am huge proponent for natural deodorant and have been for YEARS! I use Arm and Hammer Naturals. And have been for about 10 years. When Stirling started making deodorant sticks I bought some. And to be honest I am not a fan. Perhaps things have changed, but I have had issues with crumbling and not lasting as long as my trusted Arm and Hammer. Out of everything Stirling this is the only product I have not liked. I have read other reviews though of people that love it. So I am sure it is just not for me.

Not Pictured

Razors
I did end up with a razor. The DE3P7S. The price is definitely worth the handle alone. The handle is Stainless Steel and performs wonderfully. I currently do not have it in my den as I PIFed mine to my brother in law, who is using it daily. It is a great way to get a nice razor at a great price.

Not Pictured

Shaving Brushes
This is the best hidden secret in the wetshaving community! You can get an amazing top quality badger knot that honestly performs as well as my shavemacs and other expensive knots. If you don't own a Stirling Badger you are missing out. IT is the best way to try a top quality badger brush without breaking the bank. I prefer the fan shapes personally but the bulb is also nice. I also own a synthetic which is a great performer and does a great job when lathering. The boar brush has also turned into my favorite boar in the den that has broken in nicely. All Stirling Brushes have been home runs for me and proof you don't need to spend a lot of money to get a great brush!

IMG_20190519_114809797_HDR.jpg

Apparel
Yup I even have a Stirling Tshirt. They are true to size shirts and I wear mine with pride! Even my wife has one!

Not pictured.

So to conclude I just want to say again this is all my opinion. I love Stirling products and will always have them in my den. The customer service is stellar and the performance of the products is top notch.

Attachments

• IMG_20190519_114743874_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190519_114743874_HDR.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 2
WOW!!! What a great post and such a great review of the products over-all. I have to admit that I was late to the game and resistant to try. But I have to say that I am really a fan of the scents if nothing else. But the soaps are top notch and you hit the nail on the head about the brushes. From the Anniversary Brush, I received a Lavender Bergamot EdT sample, and I am a huge fan! Thanks for sharing this Chad!

Nice thorough review Chad. I too remember when the soap, container and label were sold separate (y)

Crazy how far they have come. They just opened a storefront!

WOW!!! What a great post and such a great review of the products over-all. I have to admit that I was late to the game and resistant to try. But I have to say that I am really a fan of the scents if nothing else. But the soaps are top notch and you hit the nail on the head about the brushes. From the Anniversary Brush, I received a Lavender Bergamot EdT sample, and I am a huge fan! Thanks for sharing this Chad!

Thanks Don. The products are all truly great. The Lavender Bergamot is a special scent. Truly great!

Well that was definitive! Nice job Chad.

Should be a good resource for anyone curious about Stirling’s many lines.

Nice write up Chad. Likely even get me to try a few more things. You did get me to get the heel balm and I use it in the morning when I can remember. I just wish it was easier to wash off the hands. They do have a ton of shave soap scents. I would agree for the money they are a good deal. But I'm more in the camp of spending a few more $ for top notch performance. Lastly, can we please get you to stop saying body butter?

nice company review, and I have seen the growth I have been around since the aluminum cans and non water proof labels, LOL

STIRLING’S SHAMPOO BARS ROCK.
Like @Cvargo I have severe (or potentially)scalp issues, unlike chad I can’t use commercial shampoo for any period of time or I pay a hefty price. Being a soap maker of sorts I have been making my own shampoo and bath bars, some are better than others but all are better than commercial shampoo. I haven’t really found an artisan shampoo bar that truly disappoints but some are better than others. Until recently I had not tried Stirlings shampoo bar.

My first impression was quite positive. The PRICE made them very accessible, allowing me to order a few different scents. The size is 3.8 ounces, which may appear smallish but is pretty standard in the artisan bar market and is definitely supported by the low price. (I don’t know if this has any bearing on the decision to go 3.8 ounces but by dropping the total weight below 4 ounces the cost to ship 2-3 bars remains quite low). I decided to start with the tea tree scent since tea tree oil helps calm an angry scalp. Simply brushing the bar over my wet hair once or twice was all it took to produce a great lather. A little scrubby hand action and a quick rinse left my hair feeling clean and soft without feeling too clean. At this rate the 3.8 ounce bar will outlast a small bottle of good shampoo.

If you are on the fence about the shampoo bar...go for it, you will not be disappointed.

I agree @CBLindsay the bath bars are a great bargain.

As to scalp issues and not to detail the thread but I recently got a bottle of head and shoulders with activated charcoal on clearance at Target. I've been using it every other day and my psoriasis scalp flare ups have decreased a bit.

Back