The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

6 different soaps 6 different lathers?

CBLindsay

I Blame Dave
Owner
Legacy
We all know that different soap based often result in different results. Some prefer tallow based soaps while others prefer veggie ...but could you recognize a soap base from the lather alone? I just did a video in which I lathered 6 different types of soap to show how they are different....or not.
EDIT:as I watch the video that was uploaded I see that the formatting was altered by YouTube so that much of the viewing field is cut off...i’ll Try to fix that
https://youtu.be/CQUEPUC2yJI
https://youtu.be/agXvvJpjs6U

Thanks Chris. Interesting results, good commentary, very subtle differences visually in the hand lather, almost imperceptible! Even then it could just be the differences of time spent developing.

Good video here Chris...many people who aren't as experienced with soaps might think that if a lather doesn't have certain physical properties that it's unusable for shaving, which is absolutely not the case. That's why I always try to appreciate each product for what it is, not for what it isn't. Except modern Williams. That just gets a hard NO.

I really enjoyed that video Chris! Great work. This video is proof why it is so easy to fall down the rabbit hole. The subtle differences is what makes it so fun!

I should mention that after that latherfest my hand did not feel overly cleans, dry or otherwise disturbed. I will also add, despite each soap having its own scent my hand smelled most like Fireside. And it smelled like that well into the night.

Melt-n-pour and creams tend to be the most heavily scented (prominently scented might be a better description). If you use SueBee soap be prepared to live with the scent a while. I used her vetiver to shave with and the scent stuck around all day and played with the Royal vetiver I put on after.

EDIT: but this video was not about comparing or evaluating it was only to show how different “types” of soap lather differently.
It might be cool to come up with a way to objectively demo slickness,density and residual slickness....
1f644.png

EDIT: but this video was not about comparing or evaluating it was only to show how different “types” of soap lather differently.
It might be cool to come up with a way to objectively demo slickness,density and residual slickness....
1f644.png

I agree Chris. It would be a pretty heavy undertaking, however. To be effective, it would need to be done against water with varying degrees of measured hardness, as testing it against one water type wouldn't tell the story for everyone. What is slick with one type of water might not be with another.

Would be a good project, however! Sounds like it would be custom made for Walt!

Back