The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

2nd Anniversary brush source?

@Dave in KY Nice job Dave getting that rock hard epoxied knot out. Maybe you can polish those handle grooves out or consider them "scars" of your hard work. Chad told me the original knot was a 28 and my measurements would support that. What will be your replacement knot and how are you planning on setting it in place ?

Thank @AJSharp , I've always had good success with silicone to set it. My calipers show the opening at 26 mm. I'm getting an AP shave silk smoke knot for it unless I change my mind as I have several 26 mm knots inbound for my Rubberset 400 ferrels from Claudio.

I ordered the AP 2BED synthetic knot after emailing with Andrew (owner) who helped me decide which of his synthetics would be best for my needs. FWIW he seems to really care about his business and has provided excellent customer service so far. I also figured on silicone given what a pain the epoxy was and reviewing the many threads - this will be my first knot reconstruction.

Since we are both using APShave Co synthetic knot I guess "great minds think alike or fools seldom differ" 🤪 😂

I ordered the AP 2BED synthetic knot after emailing with Andrew (owner) who helped me decide which of his synthetics would be best for my needs. FWIW he seems to really care about his business and has provided excellent customer service so far. I also figured on silicone given what a pain the epoxy was and reviewing the many threads - this will be my first knot reconstruction.

Since we are both using APShave Co synthetic knot I guess "great minds think alike or fools seldom differ" 🤪 😂
I'm waiting for the knots to arrive and see how it sits in there before I determine loft and how deep I want to set it. I've done 3-4 with silicone and never an issue yet. Easy to fix if you change your mind or if by chance it does come out. Let's hope it's "Great Minds" although the latter may fit me better 😂 :cool:

So my follow-up regarding my re-knotting of the TSC shave brush. I received the APShave Co 2BED synthetic knot with a desire to have soft tips and some flexibility/splay. Since I have never glued a knot and do not know what works best with loft I decided, on my own, to use a temporary adhesive. I used 99 cent white Elmors glue (I found in one of the kids' bedrooms). Yes that white glue ! And it actually held for a shave ... it fell off when I was cleaning/drying the brush. The next day I used DOW 700 Silicone Adhesive (I found mixed in with my limited tools) to secure a coin and then 6 hours later I glued the knot into the handle. Did you know I found a 42 minute YouTube video of some guy explaining how to use silicone to glue a knot - it kinda took 90 seconds and I am not a handyman. I let it sit overnight and used it the next morning without any difficulties.

After several days this APShave 2BED has been an excellent brush and has impressed me regarding synthetic brushes as before this my experience with synthetics has been less than satisfactory. For now I think I will toss the Yaqi brushes into the dust bin and swear off that cheaply made garbage. Now I have a very respectable TSC 2nd anniversary shave brush - anyone interested in giving up their TSC 1st anniversary shave brush as those are beautiful. Thank you Andrew (APShave Co) for your advise and assistance.

1591225368723.png

Attachments

• 1591225367377.png
    1591225367377.png
    418.7 KB · Views: 2
So my follow-up regarding my re-knotting of the TSC shave brush. I received the APShave Co 2BED synthetic knot with a desire to have soft tips and some flexibility/splay. Since I have never glued a knot and do not know what works best with loft I decided, on my own, to use a temporary adhesive. I used 99 cent white Elmors glue (I found in one of the kids' bedrooms). Yes that white glue ! And it actually held for a shave ... it fell off when I was cleaning/drying the brush. The next day I used DOW 700 Silicone Adhesive (I found mixed in with my limited tools) to secure a coin and then 6 hours later I glued the knot into the handle. Did you know I found a 42 minute YouTube video of some guy explaining how to use silicone to glue a knot - it kinda took 90 seconds and I am not a handyman. I let it sit overnight and used it the next morning without any difficulties.

After several days this APShave 2BED has been an excellent brush and has impressed me regarding synthetic brushes as before this my experience with synthetics has been less than satisfactory. For now I think I will toss the Yaqi brushes into the dust bin and swear off that cheaply made garbage. Now I have a very respectable TSC 2nd anniversary shave brush - anyone interested in giving up their TSC 1st anniversary shave brush as those are beautiful. Thank you Andrew (APShave Co) for your advise and assistance.

View attachment 25940
Awesome work! Thanks for sharing the journey with us.

@GearNoir No I'm not tossing the Yaqi yet just dispatching them to a corner to collect dust for now. However after Yaqi's stealing the Gibbs Heritage razor recently I really cannot see myself supporting such a brand and reevaluating my need for "anything" made in China. As it is my wife will not buy any kitchen goods (pots, pans, plates, water bottles) made in China due to her suspicians that who knows what potential contaminants are included - I have never had an issue with her spending 2-4x the price on a frying pan etc.

View attachment 25940
Good job AJ, still waiting on my knots to come in. (y) The 1st anniversary brush will need to be pried from my cold clenched fist ;)

Last edited:
Thought I'd add mine here with AJ @AJSharp , So here are my 2 - 2nd Anniversary Brushes. Original and 70/30 Badger/Boar from Maggards.
IMG_20200607_140843653.jpg

And 2 of my 4 Ferrels set for My Rubberset 400. A Whipped Dog Silvertip and Cashmere. The Maggards Synthetic and AP Shave Silk Smoke in background await the other 2 Ferrels coming later.
IMG_20200607_140834562.jpg

Just a short follow-up to my reknotting of TSC anniversary brush. I have been using it regularly and it is my preferred synthetic (AP ShaveCo 2BED) to date. It has preformed great over the last 6 weeks. I find the handle ergonomicly appropriate for my hands and the blue is soothing when trying to wake up in the morning. In its current form it only competes with my Elite silver tips and some other custom handles.

Back