The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

1946 Berkeley Shave Selector

@Bogeyman so it was your post that got me down this road
I can’t allow Bogeyman to take the full responsibility for your veering back toward the dark side. Back in December I posted a different vintage razor shave each day. I posted one shave with the Kant Rust and one with the Star DE, oneof my favorite vintage shaver. It was designed to compete with the Gillette Tech, and easily outshaves it.
9ED76226-56E3-47B7-B210-EA221E91A59D.jpegCB718414-B604-49AE-9C49-1D4A90728732.jpeg4DF677AB-AF08-45F5-A04F-28D1C15FD18D.jpeg92368E19-330B-470F-9215-FF6B021543E0.jpeg71562F35-4E8D-464E-A32A-43E7CA9DC306.jpeg

That was me, but the razor in your picture could be a clone of the ‘Cooper Kant Rust’ which I did post about back in December.

That was me, Dave, with what looks A very similar if not identical razor, but mine was branded as a Cooper Kant Rust. Everything else appears the same with the exception of the branded top cap.
View attachment 15825View attachment 15826View attachment 15827View attachment 15828View attachment 15829
On yours also I don't see the extra plate on the base plate for adjustment as can be seen in these pics
1580176356542.png

1580176409007.png

I can’t allow Bogeyman to take the full responsibility for your veering back toward the dark side. Back in December I posted a different vintage razor shave each day. I posted one shave with the Kant Rust and one with the Star DE, oneof my favorite vintage shaver. It was designed to compete with the Gillette Tech, and easily outshaves it.

o0D9ZAK.jpg

Seriously, it shaves just as good as a Tech. I will need more "cockpit" time to see if it is indeed better.

o0D9ZAK.jpg

Seriously, it shaves just as good as a Tech. I will need more "cockpit" time to see if it is indeed better.
I have been shaving with both for some time, and my opinion is that it does outshave the Tech which i don’t find to be a particularly efficient razor. The Star was developed for the shaving connoisseur, while the Tech is most appropriate for the great unwashed “hoi poloi“! :whistle:

Thanks ! If my eyes are correct, I'm seeing the extra piece attached to the base plate too. Cool !

Yes you are - thanks
I took the pic from that angle and also opened it up so that it did show it.
They are good shavers, but as I said earlier in the thread - the standard handle is too thin for my taste.

I found mine on Ebay looking for an XOXO razor

Thursday January 30, 2020
2020 Shave # 32 ( 451 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: Berkeley Shave Selector
Blade: Wizamet (13)
Brush: SV 2.0 Ziricote Wood
Soap: CBL Tonsorial Fresh Lime 3017 (32)
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Nivea 2 into 1
Fragrance: MDCI Parfums Invasion Barbare

Shave 32 with the 3017.......yada yada.........................shave 13 on the Wizamet in the new to me Berkeley Shave Selector. Some have compared this to a Gillette Tech copy. I get a more blade forward feel to it more resembling an Old Type. Not sure how the "Selector" feature works but I dialed it till it was as snug as I felt I should go and got a decent angle on the blade. I had a tiny bit of blade feel but a smooth comfortable shave and very close smooth finish. I did dial it back a half turn which is easy to see with the arrow indicator and "X's and O's" on the base plate. It felt less comfortable and not needed (I was just curious) so I dialed it back to where it was to finish the shave. Will use again tomorrow for a better feel on it before commenting more.

That's all I got. Have a Stupendous Day Cadre !!!
IMG_20200129_182315008.jpg

Not sure how the "Selector" feature works but I dialed it till it was as snug as I felt I should go and got a decent angle on the blade. I had a tiny bit of blade feel but a smooth comfortable shave and very close smooth finish. I did dial it back a half turn which is easy to see with the arrow indicator and "X's and O's" on the base plate.

I use mine around 3/4 of a turn out. Also do yourself a favor and use a more substantial handle. The adjustment feature still works fine.

Friday January 31, 2020
2020 Shave # 33 ( 452 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: Berkeley Shave Selector/Brass Handle
Blade: Wizamet (14)
Brush: TSC 1st Anniversary Brush
Soap: CBL Tonsorial Fresh Lime 3017 (33)
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: CFG Ghost Town Barber
Fragrance: CFG Ghost Town Barber

Shave 33 with the CBL Tonsorial Fresh Lime and I can tell this is going to be around a couple more weeks.......YAY! The razor I decided to go with @Clouds recommendation and used the heavy brass handle I have from @Techichi and tightened it up and then dialed it back 1/2 a turn. I had a spectacular shave with it and after giving thought to the fact that I was on shave 14 on the Wizamet which definitely needs replacing I know it will be even better with a fresh blade so this razor is not only a great piece of hstory to have but one for the rotation at times also. Following @NurseDave 's recommendation of me needing GTB I went with it for the Splash and EdT. Was going to work but not feeling it. Have things around the house I can get done, take the dog to the follow up vet visit and a meeting tonight so took a Cadre Friday. Have a great day Cadre !!
IMG_20200130_214640494.jpg

Last edited:
Back