The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

1946 Berkeley Shave Selector

Dave in KY

Shave Newbie
I was intrigued when @jgreenepa I think it was posted about a "Club Razor" and how well it shaved. It was unique looking and had me checking availability out when I came across one that appeared similar but with a twist and RARE feature. NEVER saw one of these in all my googling razors the past 10+ years. I wasn't interested in it at the asking price and was doing the "S" Thing so just put it in my watch list. I was sent an discount offer from the seller but was still hesitant. @Bill in Oneida was visiting and I went to show him the razor and saw the seller lowered the sell price to 2/3 the original. I told Bill I was very close to pulling the trigger. As he read the description and the guy said he wouldn't be selling it but he had 2 of them, Bill says. " He has @ of them" !!!!!!! I said no just 1 now as while he was reading I could resist no longer and bought it 😂 . Here was the ad describing how the adjustable 3 piece razor functions. It appears to be VERY similar to the Club razor that started my search and they are listed in the ad.

A VERY RARE, SELDOM SEEN FOR SALE & UNUSUAL Vintage 1946 Berkeley Shave Selector Three Piece Safety Razor, Designed by Consolidated Razor Blade Co., Jersey City N.J. and Made In U.S.A. This Gold plated Berkeley Shave Selector Razor is in near perfect condition with only very slight signs of age on the handle.

A thin metal platform is attached to the top surface of the blade guard and as the handle is tighten onto the head the platform acts as a spring to adjust the blade angle and exposure. Accurate adjusting is accomplished by aligning an arrow at the top of the handle to an X or an O on the underside of the blade guard. The razor uses standard double edge blades and provides an amazingly PERFECT shave with nice audible feedback. I wouldn't be selling it; but I have two.

Similar razors assumingly all made by Consolidated Razor Blade Co. using similar parts:
1933 Club (non-adjustable)
1933 and/or 1944 Hospital (similar to Club)
1935 Krect Spiral (first variation)
1937 Berkeley Custom Shaver ('Two Piece' adjustable)
1944 Cooper (adjustable)
1946 Berkeley Shave Selector (adjustable)
1946 Doehler-Jarvis (adjustable)
  • This Berkeley Shave Selector shows signs of storage wear on the handle end.
  • Approximate size: 3-1/2" long, 3-1/4" Handle, 1-5/8" long x 1" wide head.
  • The razor has been sterilized in Barbicide and is shave-ready.
s-l1600 (3).jpgs-l1600 (5).jpgs-l1600 (6).jpgs-l1600 (7).jpgs-l1600 (8).jpgs-l1600 (9).jpg
1580077886386.png
1580077923835.png

I have been watching the Fat Boys on the bay. I’ve never tried one so .... I found one really cheap that I thought would clean up nice. The missus was quick to remind me of the “S” thing. So ... I will get one nezt year, unless I fail this year 🤪

I have been watching the Fat Boys on the bay. I’ve never tried one so .... I found one really cheap that I thought would clean up nice. The missus was quick to remind me of the “S” thing. So ... I will get one nezt year, unless I fail this year 🤪
I wouldn't fault you............................sorry, I'm no support now ;) 😂

I was intrigued when @jgreenepa I think it was posted about a "Club Razor" and how well it shaved. It was unique looking and had me checking availability out when I came across one that appeared similar but with a twist and RARE feature. NEVER saw one of these in all my googling razors the past 10+ years. I wasn't interested in it at the asking price and was doing the "S" Thing so just put it in my watch list. I was sent an discount offer from the seller but was still hesitant. @Bill in Oneida was visiting and I went to show him the razor and saw the seller lowered the sell price to 2/3 the original. I told Bill I was very close to pulling the trigger. As he read the description and the guy said he wouldn't be selling it but he had 2 of them, Bill says. " He has @ of them" !!!!!!! I said no just 1 now as while he was reading I could resist no longer and bought it 😂 . Here was the ad describing how the adjustable 3 piece razor functions. It appears to be VERY similar to the Club razor that started my search and they are listed in the ad.

A VERY RARE, SELDOM SEEN FOR SALE & UNUSUAL Vintage 1946 Berkeley Shave Selector Three Piece Safety Razor, Designed by Consolidated Razor Blade Co., Jersey City N.J. and Made In U.S.A. This Gold plated Berkeley Shave Selector Razor is in near perfect condition with only very slight signs of age on the handle.

A thin metal platform is attached to the top surface of the blade guard and as the handle is tighten onto the head the platform acts as a spring to adjust the blade angle and exposure. Accurate adjusting is accomplished by aligning an arrow at the top of the handle to an X or an O on the underside of the blade guard. The razor uses standard double edge blades and provides an amazingly PERFECT shave with nice audible feedback. I wouldn't be selling it; but I have two.

Similar razors assumingly all made by Consolidated Razor Blade Co. using similar parts:
1944 Cooper (adjustable)
View attachment 15780View attachment 15781View attachment 15782View attachment 15783View attachment 15784View attachment 15785
View attachment 15786
View attachment 15787
Congratulations, Dave! I think you’re really going to like the shave this razor delivers! Looking forward to hearing what you think of it!

I have one that has no branding on it. The adjustability is simple but works great.
Although I like the looks of the standard handle, I don't like shaving with it so I generally take a handle off one of my other 3pieces and use that.
The thread is standard M5

I have one that has no branding on it. The adjustability is simple but works great.
Although I like the looks of the standard handle, I don't like shaving with it so I generally take a handle off one of my other 3pieces and use that.
The thread is standard M5
Cool, please feel free to share a picture of it here (y)

Thanks, So was it you with the Club Razor?

I just found a plain "Club" DE razor with the same pentagonal knurled handle in mint condition. To be frank it looks unused. I have since polished the head with Happich Simichrome Polish | Metal Polish | As Low As $7.99 and it shines like a gem. I have shaved two times with it, but I will discount the 1st shave as it was not as objective as the 2nd as well as was a "1st date" sort of affair. For the 2nd shave I decided to screw on a Tech "ball end" handle with which I am not only totally familiar, but gave a better balance IMO. Soap used a criminally underrated Fine, Santal Absolut. Blade was a Chinese Gillette Super Nacet. The resultant shave was simply perfect!! I am inclined to say that perhaps it has just a tad more exposure than a run of the mill Tech, but in all honesty I can't find my feeler gauges to check. :sneaky: I am however very, very impressed to say the least!! At minimum it shaves as great as the legendary Tech. The head seems to be an almost carbon copy clone, apart from the posts.

I can't help but comment on the resemblance to the Star DE razor which came along later and wonder if there is a link. I am thinking yes. I have however never shaved with a Star DE razor.

I just found a plain "Club" DE razor with the same pentagonal knurled handle in mint condition. To be frank it looks unused. I have since polished the head with Happich Simichrome Polish | Metal Polish | As Low As $7.99 and it shines like a gem. I have shaved two times with it, but I will discount the 1st shave as it was not as objective as the 2nd as well as was a "1st date" sort of affair. For the 2nd shave I decided to screw on a Tech "ball end" handle with which I am not only totally familiar, but gave a better balance IMO. Soap used a criminally underrated Fine, Santal Absolut. Blade was a Chinese Gillette Super Nacet. The resultant shave was simply perfect!! I am inclined to say that perhaps it has just a tad more exposure than a run of the mill Tech, but in all honesty I can't find my feeler gauges to check. :sneaky: I am however very, very impressed to say the least!! At minimum it shaves as great as the legendary Tech. The head seems to be an almost carbon copy clone, apart from the posts.

I can't help but comment on the resemblance to the Star DE razor which came along later and wonder if there is a link. I am thinking yes. I have however never shaved with a Star DE razor.
If you would like to try a Star razor I have 2 that came in a lot I bought a while back. One branded Star and one branded Treet. I’d be more than happy to send you the Star.

Thanks, So was it you with the Club Razor?
That was me, but the razor in your picture could be a clone of the ‘Cooper Kant Rust’ which I did post about back in December.

1944 Cooper (adjustable)
View attachment 15780View attachment 15781View attachment 15782View attachment 15783View attachment 15784View attachment 15785
View attachment 15786
View attachment 15787
That was me, Dave, with what looks A very similar if not identical razor, but mine was branded as a Cooper Kant Rust. Everything else appears the same with the exception of the branded top cap.
5C28028A-9260-43A8-B547-3CAEA52958DD.jpeg3B656AD0-AE6E-4E20-AD11-BFA0765C0C8D.jpeg5F3FF75C-F52E-4337-A5EC-159FAEEC1BFB.jpeg0CCBD52B-FC0B-45C1-BB29-65844E832887.jpeg638ABFFB-269D-44FD-AB5F-0CE0153D1E8D.jpeg

That was me, but the razor in your picture could be a clone of the ‘Cooper Kant Rust’ which I did post about back in December.

That was me, Dave, with what looks A very similar if not identical razor, but mine was branded as a Cooper Kant Rust. Everything else appears the same with the exception of the branded top cap.
View attachment 15825View attachment 15826View attachment 15827View attachment 15828View attachment 15829
As the quote stated "consolidated razor company" likely made them all on that list including the cooper. Thanks

Pardon my crappy cell photos 🤫 :

Sq3gPqX.jpg

6KWhnyu.jpg

I will venture an educated guess that because mine has more triangular slots a la an early Tech that it is an early model.

Back