The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

тдс (TDS) Cosmetics Shave Soap PIF Comments/Review THREAD

Great minds…..

I too used birch tar this morning. I looked up the scent description you posted in the initial thread, and it only said birch tar…. And really that’s all I smelled. Not sure where all this is coming from…..
Scent notes By TDS:
  • TOP NOTES: bergamot, lemon, orange, sage, citral, d-limonene.
  • HEART: fir, clove, juniper, nutmeg, tea tree, black pepper, ylang-ylang, eugenol, geraniol.
  • BASE: birch tar, cedar, incense, patchouli, sandalwood.
I just get straight up birch tar, but in a lighter than expected and delightful way. I loved the earthy scent.

This time I took my 1/4 sample and spread it into my lather bowl, wet them completely shook out my brush, then proceeded to load my brush only. Then I took it to my face and face lathered. This made all the difference. The lather was perfect, and slickness was superb. I was able to do a third pass with no re-lathering. This was way better than when I bowl lathered yesterday. I’ve discovered a new way to use and test soap samples.

Needed something dark and strong to follow this soap up with so I used 322 by Caties Bubbles.

Great minds…..

I too used birch tar this morning. I looked up the scent description you posted in the initial thread, and it only said birch tar…. And really that’s all I smelled. Not sure where all this is coming from…..

I just get straight up birch tar, but in a lighter than expected and delightful way. I loved the earthy scent.

This time I took my 1/4 sample and spread it into my lather bowl, wet them completely shook out my brush, then proceeded to load my brush only. Then I took it to my face and face lathered. This made all the difference. The lather was perfect, and slickness was superb. I was able to do a third pass with no re-lathering. This was way better than when I bowl lathered yesterday. I’ve discovered a new way to use and test soap samples.

Needed something dark and strong to follow this soap up with so I used 322 by Caties Bubbles.
Awesome, its a weird scent, but I like it!

It looks like they just added the scent description to their website recently, as not every soap had their full scent profile at the time of me writing the PIF thread. Glad to hear its working out for you!

They also didn't have this! A new and strangely interesting soap!!!

1653681754390.png

Last edited:
tried out tds pampering juniper for todays shave. i liked the consistancy of the soap which wasnt to hard or too soft,which made it easy to load onto the brush, i added slightly too much water for todays shave so towards the end of the shave the soap was a bit too thin, but overall pretty decent lather. i originally thought the scent was gonna be a bit to green for my tastes, but im guessing that is the juniper? As i continued my shave the really bright green note mellowed out and the tea started coming out a bit more which made it a much more enjoyable scent. finished the shave off with some thayers lavender flavor and clubmans pinuad vanilla. Would i use this particular scent in my rotation, im not sure. im still on the fence with this one. we will see if the scent will grow on me. thanks again matt for the samples!!

Scent notes By TDS:
Fresh, minty, frosty aroma, with a slight cooling effect. (Basically smells of menthol)

Awesome soap to use on a hot day after cutting the grass. The menthol is moderate and not on the insanity level of some of the glacial soaps. The lather is typical TDS with great cushion and slickness. This new tub of soap performs the same or slightly better than the tub I revived two years ago. This one will remain in my collection for many years to come!

I tried Juicy Green Grass today. Lemon Grass totally takes from stage here. Very bright, and citrusy. Green in a way, but not like fresh cut lawn green smelling. The sage and mint come through If you hunt for them. Also, mildly coming through is the lavender. But it’s pretty much lemongrass all the time. It’s very bright and in your face.

Today I used the last sample that was sent to me. The Juniper. I am not a fan of juniper at all. And this is the same. The soap performed well but this scent is not for me.

Thanks for coordinating this Matt I have really enjoyed using these soaps.

TDS Red Shaving stick:
I feel like the shave stick was slicker than the other 8 soaps I've tried so far and it had a pretty interesting scent! None of you requested to try the shave stick, so I'm hoarding this one all on my own. For some reason I was really smelling rosemary, but it must have been the combination of the sage and thyme which were throwing me off. I really do like basically every note mentioned, so this scent was a real winner for me!

According to TDS: "Nice, nice shave. Red means beautiful, beautiful. Red aroma - fills with vivacity and reminds of the beauty of every moment of our life. The power of life. Life is red. In the aromatic composition, aromas associated with the color red are used."

Scent description: Clary sage, lemon, thyme, lavender, juniper, clove, rose, nutmeg, phenylethyl alcohol, patchouli.

@Majorrich , I’m calling you out!

I forgot how much I like this scent. A subdued version of a more floral Sandalwood. It feels and smells like you’re at spa when lathering it up. This soap took a bit more water than some of the others and was just fantastic! Great slickness like the others.

I tried the Charcoal bonus sample, that was sent to me. It was cool, but not as cold as I was expecting. But I did not like the burnt coal scent that came with it.

Did anyone else try this one?? Dang, I now like lilac a lot more and the Gables Lilac aftershave matched it perfectly!

Back