The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

тдс (TDS) Cosmetics Shave Soap PIF Comments/Review THREAD

Luecke3262

“I am the Grail Razor Hunter”
Hobbyist
This thread is for the discussion and reviewing of тдс (TDS) Cosmetics shaving soaps, from the тдс (TDS) Cosmetics: Shave Soap Sample PIF thread in the PIF's & Giveaways Section.

Please post your comments and thoughts on the maker and quality of the soaps. This thread and its comments will be used to set up a future GROUP BUY from TDS.

Thanks,

Matt

Sample scent sniff review.
Juicy Green Grass - Interesting. Opens with one of Sam’s weeds, then moves into cut grass and lemon grass. And I swear I get a touch of tangerine when I really snort up into my sinuses.

Pampering Juniper - As if Earl Grey tea were infused with juniper. Nothing additional than light-headedness when I snort this one really deep.

Evergreen Juniper - That’s the ticket. I would say straight up juniper, but I’m not sure I know what that smells like in real life.

Birch Tar - oh ya baby! And it also get a label of interesting. At first sniff it had all that dirty funkalicious smoke and grime. But when I go back to it, it’s tamed way down and has a soapy note to it. Very curious what this lathers to.

BTW my wife got a kick out of the address label.

SOTD: 05/23/2022

1653356119873.jpeg

Razor: C.V. Heljestrand Eskilstuna
Brush: Rajon Cajon Tye Dye Acrylic
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary Red Mug
Soap: TDS Cosmetic Shave Activated Charcoal
Aftershave: Cella Lozione Dopobarba Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Vegan Balm
Additional Care: Calvin Klein CK One Shock Street Edition EdT

Well I’m first out of the gate - see it sometimes pays to procrastinate on your shave of the day 😂. I enjoyed all the scents (well rose isn’t my thing - but I can appreciate it as a quality floral)…..but I was really interested in the soaps with the cooling effects - and right from the bat - the activated charcoal has a menthol punch just from the smell - so I was already intrigued.

Lathering was easy peasy - I would liken it Denton Majik as far as the texture - but it wasn’t a challenge in the least. Whipped up to a Greek Yogurt consistency. I didn’t find it extra thirsty which was good. Scent-wise that menthol /eucalyptus notes I think got stronger with lathering….which I liked. I can tell if I used this first thing in the morning - it would wake me up and right quick. The menthol feel kicked in almost immediately on applying. I find the soap more slick than cushioning - which to me is important when straight shaving. Three passes - no problemo and I probably have enough soap left for 10 more shaves.

All in all a great experience and I thank @Luecke3262 for the generosity and the experience. I think I’ll hit the Juniper later on this week - it will go great with my Commodity Gin EdP.

SOTD: 05/23/2022

1653356119873.jpeg

Razor: C.V. Heljestrand Eskilstuna
Brush: Rajon Cajon Tye Dye Acrylic
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary Red Mug
Soap: TDS Cosmetic Shave Activated Charcoal
Aftershave: Cella Lozione Dopobarba Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Vegan Balm
Additional Care: Calvin Klein CK One Shock Street Edition EdT

Well I’m first out of the gate - see it sometimes pays to procrastinate on your shave of the day 😂. I enjoyed all the scents (well rose isn’t my thing - but I can appreciate it as a quality floral)…..but I was really interested in the soaps with the cooling effects - and right from the bat - the activated charcoal has a menthol punch just from the smell - so I was already intrigued.

Lathering was easy peasy - I would liken it Denton Majik as far as the texture - but it wasn’t a challenge in the least. Whipped up to a Greek Yogurt consistency. I didn’t find it extra thirsty which was good. Scent-wise that menthol /eucalyptus notes I think got stronger with lathering….which I liked. I can tell if I used this first thing in the morning - it would wake me up and right quick. The menthol feel kicked in almost immediately on applying. I find the soap more slick than cushioning - which to me is important when straight shaving. Three passes - no problemo and I probably have enough soap left for 10 more shaves.

All in all a great experience and I thank @Luecke3262 for the generosity and the experience. I think I’ll hit the Juniper later on this week - it will go great with my Commodity Gin EdP.
This was pretty much my experience with the Activated Charcoal. The menthol is EXCELLENT as was the interesting eucalyptus and sooty scent. One of my favorites of the 8 I’ve tried! Very Nice shave!

Sample scent sniff review.
Juicy Green Grass - Interesting. Opens with one of Sam’s weeds, then moves into cut grass and lemon grass. And I swear I get a touch of tangerine when I really snort up into my sinuses.

Pampering Juniper - As if Earl Grey tea were infused with juniper. Nothing additional than light-headedness when I snort this one really deep.

Evergreen Juniper - That’s the ticket. I would say straight up juniper, but I’m not sure I know what that smells like in real life.

Birch Tar - oh ya baby! And it also get a label of interesting. At first sniff it had all that dirty funkalicious smoke and grime. But when I go back to it, it’s tamed way down and has a soapy note to it. Very curious what this lathers to.

BTW my wife got a kick out of the address label.
Yeah man, I’m really looking forward to the Semionich, Birch Tar. It’s the most unique soap scent I’ve ever had next to the Juicy green grass. Enjoy!

Alright today I used the TDS Goat Milk Unscented soap.

First thank you to Matt for giving us the opportunity to try these soaps.

This soap lathered well, a little thinner than I normally go for, but the slickness and residual slickness was real nice. Beyond that having over 300 soaps currently in my den i'd say where this soap really shines is the post shave feel. It actually reminded me of the post shave feel you get from Mitchell's Wool Fat, but the TDS lathers significantly easier.

After first use it gets a thumbs up and looking forward to future uses with this sample and the other's a received.

I received my packed of TDS soap samples from Matt last night. I was surprised by the scents, each scent was bold and well crafted...and mostly what I might expect. I asked for a sampling of some of the more off-the-wall scents (ones we don't see around much) and was looking forward to sniffing the Birch Tar one the most. Unlike other Birch Tar scents I have encountered this one has a softer almost paper like background rather than a smoky or sour note...i like it. The "sea" smells familiar to me but I can't immediately place it, the thing that sort of comes to mind is the "CBL spa" scent ...I will need to look at the description to see what I am supposed to think. Surprisingly, the 2 juniper based scents are the least impressive to me, I really like Juniper but these examples of Juniper are fairly bland compared to the assortment of samples I received. Perhaps as a stand alone the Juniper scents might impress me more, but compared to the others in the bunch they fall short.

I don't typically bowl lather and I prefer to load from the bowl/puck, so I scooped a bit of soap out and smeared it all over the bottom of my rubber razor wiper (available at CBLsoap.com) and load from there as if it were the bowl. I am pretty sure I loaded far more soap than I needed because the soap took on a large amount of water and got far better as I added even more during the 2nd and third pass. @CVargo mentioned the lather being thin, just use more soap, it won't be thin I GUARANTEE! The lather was really nice. I used the Anise scent and was surprised to learn it has some menthol chill to it. The scent was strong enough to enjoy throughout the shave and leave only a hint after the rinse. The lather was thick and creamy, and with the right amount of water (more) it was REALLY nice. It rinsed away clean with a little residual slickness that rinsed off with a second splash of water. I don't usually find soaps "drying" or "hydrating" or give soaps credit (or blame) for post shave feel, I guess I just don't wait long enough after rinsing before I rub on alum or splash on some sort of oil to after shave. I CAN say that today I used a little alum and a splash of ALPA (a high alcohol AS) and my face is happy.

I have a TON of soap available to me but the boldness of these scents and the easy to use performance makes these samples something I will probably enjoy using for a while. Clearly I don't need as much soap as I used this morning BUT I would rather use more than I need and be happy than use less and be mad that I got a crappy lather.
295771F3-5470-411E-A54A-B2EEAE2EFFF5.jpegF2F9DEB7-BFB3-4907-9738-7B1619509E07.jpeg2D93CFF8-C5BC-45B2-9B20-6C59726CBCE8.jpegC22F82D5-1874-446E-BE1C-5012123CCB80.jpeg
FYI. The last shot of lather in the brush is the lather in the brush AFTER my shave.

I received my packed of TDS soap samples from Matt last night. I was surprised by the scents, each scent was bold and well crafted...and mostly what I might expect. I asked for a sampling of some of the more off-the-wall scents (ones we don't see around much) and was looking forward to sniffing the Birch Tar one the most. Unlike other Birch Tar scents I have encountered this one has a softer almost paper like background rather than a smoky or sour note...i like it. The "sea" smells familiar to me but I can't immediately place it, the thing that sort of comes to mind is the "CBL spa" scent ...I will need to look at the description to see what I am supposed to think. Surprisingly, the 2 juniper based scents are the least impressive to me, I really like Juniper but these examples of Juniper are fairly bland compared to the assortment of samples I received. Perhaps as a stand alone the Juniper scents might impress me more, but compared to the others in the bunch they fall short.

I don't typically bowl lather and I prefer to load from the bowl/puck, so I scooped a bit of soap out and smeared it all over the bottom of my rubber razor wiper (available at CBLsoap.com) and load from there as if it were the bowl. I am pretty sure I loaded far more soap than I needed because the soap took on a large amount of water and got far better as I added even more during the 2nd and third pass. @CVargo mentioned the lather being thin, just use more soap, it won't be thin I GUARANTEE! The lather was really nice. I used the Anise scent and was surprised to learn it has some menthol chill to it. The scent was strong enough to enjoy throughout the shave and leave only a hint after the rinse. The lather was thick and creamy, and with the right amount of water (more) it was REALLY nice. It rinsed away clean with a little residual slickness that rinsed off with a second splash of water. I don't usually find soaps "drying" or "hydrating" or give soaps credit (or blame) for post shave feel, I guess I just don't wait long enough after rinsing before I rub on alum or splash on some sort of oil to after shave. I CAN say that today I used a little alum and a splash of ALPA (a high alcohol AS) and my face is happy.

I have a TON of soap available to me but the boldness of these scents and the easy to use performance makes these samples something I will probably enjoy using for a while. Clearly I don't need as much soap as I used this morning BUT I would rather use more than I need and be happy than use less and be mad that I got a crappy lather.
View attachment 84014View attachment 84016View attachment 84017View attachment 84019
FYI. The last shot of lather in the brush is the lather in the brush AFTER my shave.
Really great examination of the scents! With these being the only two Juniper scents I’ve ever tried, I’m really interested to smell BETTER Juniper in the future(HINT HINT). I’m finding a load time between 30-40 seconds more than ample. Awesome to hear the Anise has menthol in it, I had no idea! Thanks for the great write up!

SEA:
Fresh, marine scent. The aroma is light , the intensity is low.
Aromatic composition: cedar, geranium, ylang-ylang, ginger, lavender, rosemary, eucalyptus, citral.
Everyone perceives the sea in their own way, of course. Introducing our vision of fragrance.
The freshness of the wind.
And - the spicy sun.
and serenity.
Breathe deeply!

Back