The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Robeson (WR Case connection) History

Fenster

"O a'u o le ULU Matai"
Concierge
@Luecke3262 and I were talking about this the other day and thought others may be interested too. Below is some info I have collected on the Robeson/Case connection. My source is an old Power Point presentation prepared by a past WR Case Historian in 2011. While Case never owned Robeson, the company was ran by a Case relative for a number of years.

Robeson continued to make excellent pocketknives throughout the 1920's and 1930's, but stiff competition from German cutlers after WWI took a toll on sales. By the beginning of World War II, Robeson was in serious trouble. The company was offered for sale and was purchased by Mr. Saul Frankel. He hired Mr. Emerson Case of the famous Case Cutlery family in 1940, and pretty much gave him a free hand, as General Manager, in revitalizing the company. Emerson Case did not disappoint him. Mr. Case spent long hours at the factory and in the offices, and made frequent trips extolling the virtues of the company and its products. Today, he would be referred to as a "workaholic". His work ethic both costly to him and paid dividends. He had married his first wife, Helen, while working at Kinfolks Cutlery. After his move to Robeson, he was busily advancing The Robeson Cutlery Company, while she was very active in church and social work. They grew apart and subsequently divorced in 1941. Emerson Case continued to work long and hard hours at Robeson, often working late. He frequented a local diner for his meals, and grew very familiar with a certain waitress there. When an opening for a billing secretary at the offices became available, he hired her for that position. Familiarity progressed to love, and he and Bessie Sheppard were married, and raised their family in Perry, New York. They were remained married until Emerson Case died suddenly in 1975.

The time during and after WWII saw Robeson once again among the top tier of cutlery manufacturers, thanks mostly to the tireless efforts of Emerson Case. They had several contracts during WWII to produce the M-3 Commando or Trench knives for the United States Army. They produced machetes, and Mark II "Ka-Bar" type knives for the United States Navy and The Marine Corps, as well as the Mark I knives, and so called "Shark" knives for the Navy. They produced both a three and four blade verson of their 214 pattern scout/utility knives with bone handles for the Army and also a two blade easy open bone handled jack knife. They made wood handled TL-29 electrician's knives for the Army Signal Corps. Stevenson branded metal handled, four blade scout/utility knives were manufactured with the proprietary Robeson screw-driver and cap-lifter/tin-opener blades, leaving one to conclude they were manufactured by Robeson. These knives do not have tang marks, but the bails are marked, "STEVENSON - 1943". Stevenson bail marked knives with the later standardized MIL-K required blades do exist, as well. Whether or not they were made by Robeson is anyone's guess, I suppose. The majority of military collectors/writers conclude that they were. The Robeson Cutlery Company consistently earned the highest ratings for their defense contract work during World War II.

After WWII, Emerson Case was made company president, and continued to be very innovative. He developed, in 1950, a heat treating process for stainless steel blades that is still used world wide today and virtually unsurpassed in its effectiveness. He called the process, "Frozen Heat", and it was used on both pocket and kitchen cutlery. A fifty year old Robeson Frozen Heat kitchen knife is as good today as anything manufactured by anyone anywhere in the world. Frozen Heat sets sell routinely on Ebay for not very much money, and would be the best knives in almost anyone's kitchen. I suggest buying a set, and putting them to good use.

About 1955, Emerson Case also developed a line of knives with tungsten carbide applied to one side of the blade edge. This was a complicated process, and the knives' virtues were not readily understood by many people. The problem was the knife was designed to be sharpened only on the side that did not have the tungsten carbide layer. Honing the knife in that manner left a fine microscopic serrated edge of tungsten as the cutting edge of the knife. The knives were called, "Flame Edge", and were made in jack knife, stockman, and hunting knife patterns, as well as kitchen knives.

@Luecke3262 and I were talking about this the other day and thought others may be interested too. Below is some info I have collected on the Robeson/Case connection. My source is an old Power Point presentation prepared by a past WR Case Historian in 2011. While Case never owned Robeson, the company was ran by a Case relative for a number of years.

Robeson continued to make excellent pocketknives throughout the 1920's and 1930's, but stiff competition from German cutlers after WWI took a toll on sales. By the beginning of World War II, Robeson was in serious trouble. The company was offered for sale and was purchased by Mr. Saul Frankel. He hired Mr. Emerson Case of the famous Case Cutlery family in 1940, and pretty much gave him a free hand, as General Manager, in revitalizing the company. Emerson Case did not disappoint him. Mr. Case spent long hours at the factory and in the offices, and made frequent trips extolling the virtues of the company and its products. Today, he would be referred to as a "workaholic". His work ethic both costly to him and paid dividends. He had married his first wife, Helen, while working at Kinfolks Cutlery. After his move to Robeson, he was busily advancing The Robeson Cutlery Company, while she was very active in church and social work. They grew apart and subsequently divorced in 1941. Emerson Case continued to work long and hard hours at Robeson, often working late. He frequented a local diner for his meals, and grew very familiar with a certain waitress there. When an opening for a billing secretary at the offices became available, he hired her for that position. Familiarity progressed to love, and he and Bessie Sheppard were married, and raised their family in Perry, New York. They were remained married until Emerson Case died suddenly in 1975.

The time during and after WWII saw Robeson once again among the top tier of cutlery manufacturers, thanks mostly to the tireless efforts of Emerson Case. They had several contracts during WWII to produce the M-3 Commando or Trench knives for the United States Army. They produced machetes, and Mark II "Ka-Bar" type knives for the United States Navy and The Marine Corps, as well as the Mark I knives, and so called "Shark" knives for the Navy. They produced both a three and four blade verson of their 214 pattern scout/utility knives with bone handles for the Army and also a two blade easy open bone handled jack knife. They made wood handled TL-29 electrician's knives for the Army Signal Corps. Stevenson branded metal handled, four blade scout/utility knives were manufactured with the proprietary Robeson screw-driver and cap-lifter/tin-opener blades, leaving one to conclude they were manufactured by Robeson. These knives do not have tang marks, but the bails are marked, "STEVENSON - 1943". Stevenson bail marked knives with the later standardized MIL-K required blades do exist, as well. Whether or not they were made by Robeson is anyone's guess, I suppose. The majority of military collectors/writers conclude that they were. The Robeson Cutlery Company consistently earned the highest ratings for their defense contract work during World War II.

After WWII, Emerson Case was made company president, and continued to be very innovative. He developed, in 1950, a heat treating process for stainless steel blades that is still used world wide today and virtually unsurpassed in its effectiveness. He called the process, "Frozen Heat", and it was used on both pocket and kitchen cutlery. A fifty year old Robeson Frozen Heat kitchen knife is as good today as anything manufactured by anyone anywhere in the world. Frozen Heat sets sell routinely on Ebay for not very much money, and would be the best knives in almost anyone's kitchen. I suggest buying a set, and putting them to good use.

About 1955, Emerson Case also developed a line of knives with tungsten carbide applied to one side of the blade edge. This was a complicated process, and the knives' virtues were not readily understood by many people. The problem was the knife was designed to be sharpened only on the side that did not have the tungsten carbide layer. Honing the knife in that manner left a fine microscopic serrated edge of tungsten as the cutting edge of the knife. The knives were called, "Flame Edge", and were made in jack knife, stockman, and hunting knife patterns, as well as kitchen knives.
that's awesome that you found something like that. I always look for interesting stuff like that but can never find much

It would have been nice had you attributed source and original authorship of the material you posted.

You or your historian, took it off the internet, which was permissible, but proper attribution would have been appropriate and appreciated.

Charlie Noyes

@CNoyes Actually I believe your unsupported assumption that it was simply taken off the internet may be incorrect. I have always suspected, but don't have evidence, that it was taken from one of the books written by one of the Case family descendants, Nothing in the PowerPoint was cited, it was never intended to be formally published, it was being used for talking points by Case employees acting as tour guides during one of the anniversary celebrations. I know in the past that the Historian worked with Family members as well as other authors to provide info from the Case archives to assist in writing the history, so I am reasonably confident that the Historian had permission to use the info.

I found the info in a PowerPoint presentation in some old computer files that I had access to when I worked there. I just thought that the info was interesting and I thought it would be nice to share with some friends and fellow wet shaving enthusiasts here that may be interested in it. And since it was an informal post and not a formal thesis paper I did not feel obligated to spend hours tracking down the original source material and author.

Also @CNoyes , Welcome to the Cadre and please stop over to the Newbie and Welcome section and introduce yourself.

Last edited:
It would have been nice had you attributed source and original authorship of the material you posted.

You or your historian, took it off the internet, which was permissible, but proper attribution would have been appropriate and appreciated.

Charlie Noyes
Although not structured in the format of a formal citation , I believe it’s safe to say the source WAS cited …”My source is an old Power Point presentation prepared by a past WR Case Historian in 2011. While Case never owned Robeson, the company was ran by a Case relative for a number of years.” provides us with as much information about the origin of the information that follows. The illustration that was added was certainly/obviously obtained via the internet but it is posted in its entirety so as to credit Robeson Cuttlery for its content.

I wrote it on a website, RobesonsRme.com, in 2006.

Website no longer accessible as the hosting company inadvertently deleted all the data and photos.

Not copyrighted.

You’re free to use it, but someone copied and pasted it and made no attempt at attribution.

That razor booklet probably came from my website, as well, but it certainly isn’t the only copy in existence.

I’m not angry.

I was just searching the net for “Robeson carriage knife” and your post popped up.

I will stick around for a bit and try to figure out how and where to list my Robeson razors to sell.

Why didn’t you just say that from the beginning??

@CNoyes thanks for the clarification.
There are specific rules to selling stuff on the Cadre so please familiarize yourself with TOU's first. But I'm sure a lot of us would appreciate seeing pictures of your straight razor collection as many of us are collectors and users.

@CNoyes
First and foremost, we’d like to welcome you to The Shaving Cadre. I am one of the owners of this forum and have been watching your responses to this thread with quite an interest

First off if indeed the items posted are yours, we thank you for clarifying.

That being said, there are a few things that you should be aware of. First and foremost it is the responsibility of all new members to know, understand, and abide by the terms of usage of this site.

One of those items is that there are no outside links to be posted to any other shaving related items.

Also, we have a ZERO tolerance policy of disrespect, confrontational, actions, and any selling or even the thoughts of selling items to our membership without being paid, or paid hobbyist.

That being said, and having observed your actions on the forum in your first couple of posts leads me to believe that you have ulterior motives

Indeed, the items are yours then you need to prove that secondly and again we will not tolerate someone coming in and being confrontational to one of our oldest and most esteemed members, regardless who they are.

So I must ask, do you have a different agenda, are you trying to sell something? Or, quite frankly, are you trying to just stir up the proverbial crap

We want you to enjoy the forum and we want you to interact with everyone, however, you need to follow the rules if that is unacceptable to you then maybe The Shaving Cadre is not the place for you to spend your free time on the Internet

You have any questions or would like to discuss further please reach out to anyone of The Shaving Cadre owners

Again, we want you to be a part of the Forum however you’re not the greatest of beginnings

As stated above, please ensure that you are completely completely familiar with the terms of usage and the rules for posting and the selling and buying of items on this Forum

Thank you in advance

Back