The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

Sometimes it feels like I'm sliding into someone else's dream. Just so strange. Places I've never been. People I've never met and hyper HYPER clarity. It only started in the last year. Strange.
IIRC, they warned us about the flashbacks. No sense worrying now.

25 April, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Gettin' Proggy wit it this morning with a couple from English rockers, Haken. Hope you enjoy.

Best shave of the week (thus far) this morning. Returned to Wholly Kaw and their excellent "Fougère Bouquet" shave soap. Excellent spicy-green scent with floral notes. Extremely slick lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Mint Chip" HD ST badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '58 Gillette TV Special Super Speed, and I finished with Brut "Original" after shave Splash and Houbigant "Fougère Royale" EdP.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Not much to report. No dreams last night (at least none that I remember).

Hope you've had a great day. :)

Wholly Kaw "Fougère Bouquet" Shave Soap / WWBW "Mint Chip" HD ST Badger Brush / '58 Gillette Super Speed
Wizamet / Alum / Brut "Original" After Shave Splash / Houbigant "Fougère Royale" EdP

IMG_4618.jpg

😮‍💨Those songs take you on a journey and back. Cockroach King is even catchy on top of that! Thanks for sharing

26 April, 2024

Closing out the workweek with a couple from English rockers, Echo & the Bunnymen. Hope you enjoy.

Phenomenal shave this morning. Returned to CBL Soaps and their excellent "Spaghetti Western" soap & tonic which I received from @BarberDave (thank you again, sir!!). Excellent scent and wonderfully slick lather built with the Paladin "Cobalt" 2-Band Select badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Rockwell 6S, and I finished with the matching after shave tonic and Proraso "Azur Lime" EdC (which, sent-wise actually married quite well with the after shave tonic).

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Rough morning. Didn't sleep well last night and woke with my back hurting but this fantastic shave and coffee is helping! Enjoy your Friday!

CBL Soaps "Spaghetti Western" Shave Soap / Paladin "Cobalt" 2-Band Select Badger Brush / Rockwell 6S
Wizamet / Alum / CBL Soaps "Spaghetti Western" After Shave Tonic / Proraso "Azur Lime" EdC

IMG_4630.jpg

27 April, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant day.

It's "Synthwave Saturday" so here's a live stream for your listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

A late but excellent shave today. Returned to Taylor of Old Bond Street and their excellent "Coconut" shaving cream. Nice, light tropical coconut scent scent and extremely slick lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "REM Cycle" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Timeless Razor TRBR38, and I finished Clubman "Tequila Tease" after shave splash and Tommy Bahama "St. Barts" EdT.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: As mentioned, late shave today. The wife and I got out this morning for some much needed yard work. Trimming hedges, cutting back our rose bushes and planting more, etc. Nice morning for it as there was a nice breeze. Getting warmer around here so I broke out the tropical scents.

TOBS "Coconut" Shave Soap / WWBW "REM Cycle" Sweet Spot Badger Brush / Timeless Razor TRBR38
Wizamet / Alum / Clubman "Tequila Tease" After Shave Splash / Tommy Bahama "St. Barts" EdT

IMG_4639.jpg

28 April, 2024

It's "Slow Jazz" Sunday so here's a live stream for your listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Wonderful shave this morning. New soap / splash day with the arrival of Phoenix Shaving's new "The Watcher" yesterday. An homage to Yardley's "Black Label" line. Now I've never tried the original so I can't speak to its accuracy, but this has a nice, Old School vibe to it which is right in my wheelhouse. Nice, powdery, spicy, woody scent with extremely slick lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Bisbee" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the 50's Schick injector, and I finished the matching splash mixed with my personal blend of witch hazel tonic, hyaluronic acid serum & a few drops of ETHOS Reméde serum.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Planning on a low-key day. May fire up the grill later on.

PAA "The Watcher" Shave Soap / WWBW "Bisbee" Sweet Spot Badger Brush
50's Schick Injector / Alum / PAA "The Watcher" After Shave Splash

IMG_4645.jpg

29 April, 2024

Getting the workweek kicked off with a couple of classics from Canadian rockers, Loverboy. Hope you enjoy.

Very nice shave this morning. Nothing fancy, just great products which gave great results. Super slick lather from the ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Clean" shave soap, built with the Paladin "Purple Haze" 2-Band Select badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the RazoRock "Mamba 70", and I finished with Alt-Innsbruck EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: I used to play golf quite a bit but haven't for a long time (2013 in fact since the hip replacement surgery I got further aggravated the nerve damage). Shame too because I have a very nice set of clubs (Ping white dot irons & Taylor Made driver) at the house. Finished up watching The Masters this weekend (DVR'd it) and if there was one course that for me would be a dream to play, it would be Augusta National Golf Club.

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Clean" Shave Soap / Paladin "Purple Haze" 2-Band select Badger Brush
RazoRock "Mamba 70" / Wizamet / Alum / Alt-Innsbruck EdC

IMG_4654.jpg

30 April, 2024

Got a couple of obscure 80's cuts for you this morning. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave with which to close out the month. Returned to Martin de Candre and their excellent "Vétyver" shave soap. Wonderful spicy, grassy, slightly smoky scent with superb lather built with the new Paladin "Year of the Dragon" 2-Band Select badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '61 Gillette Fatboy, and I finished with ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Vétivert" skin food splash and Chanel "Chanel Pour Monsieur" EdP.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Gloomy, rainy morning. The kind that makes you want to stay in bed. Oh well... Time for more coffee!

Martin de Candre "Vétyver" Shave Soap / Paladin "Year of the Dragon" 2-Band select Badger Brush / '61 Gillette Fatboy
Wizamet / Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Vétivert" Skin Food Splash / Chanel "Chanel Pour Monsieur" EdP

IMG_4660.jpg

Last edited:
1 May, 2024

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" and today I'm revisiting San Francisco rockers, Romeo Void. Hope you enjoy.

Best shave of the week (thus far) today. Returned to Furbo and their excellent "Blu" shave soap. Great "Floid Blue" scent with incredible lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Lagoon" HD ST badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Timeless Razor TRBR38, and I finished with Epsilon 01 "Blue Mediterranean" after shave splash and, borrowing a page from the @GearNoir playbook, Acqua di Parma "Colonia" EdC.

giphy.gif

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report:

Roses are red...
Violets are blue...
Rhyming is hard...

Coffee.. :coffee:

Furbo "Blu" Shave Soap / WWBW "Lagoon" HD ST Badger Brush / Timeless Razor TRBR38 / Wizamet
Alum / Epsilon 01 "Blue Mediterranean" After Shave Splash / Acqua di Parma "Colonia" EdC

IMG_4669.jpg

Back