The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Your better half

CVargo

“Ya… Chris, Dave, It really is my fault"
Owner
Legacy
Well with valentine's day right around the corner, and my ten year wedding anniversary looming in a couple of months it got me thinking. What does everyone do to celebrate?

We are obviously in the thick of raising our kids and well there's NOT a lot of time for just us. Do you all celebrate? On the expected days? Or do other random things?

Time to get mushy guys... how do you show your better half you still care?

Well with valentine's day right around the corner, and my ten year wedding anniversary looming in a couple of months it got me thinking. What does everyone do to celebrate?

We are obviously in the thick of raising our kids and well there's NOT a lot of time for just us. Do you all celebrate? On the expected days? Or do other random things?

Before kids we always celebrated with a special date and going to the Tucson Gem&Mineral Show( it normally ends right around valentines and there is tons of cool stuff to see). we used to do gifts but it was more a, find something at the show you like and the other buys it for you kinda thing.

Now we generally try to pick a day shortly after when we can get a babysitter and have a nice date.

Also i get her flowers. ALWAYS GET FLOWERS!

My wife and I don't really do much for what we call the "incidental" holidays. Valentine's Day being one of them. She's not big on flowers though I usually get her a "living arrangement" which she can keep and grow. Usually she'll take it to her work for her desk. Usually a card and a white chocolate something.

We tend to focus more on birthdays. I usually try to do more for her on those than even Christmas and she with me. One thing I always get her (usually a few times a year not just her birthday) is a spa day. But for her birthday I normally spring for the Full Monty; coconut milk & lavender bath, hour long massage, mani /pedi. She loves it and I love her so it makes me happy to treat her to it.

Valentine's day always seems like a forced holiday to me. But I do know she likes the attention from her co-workers and students when a flower arrangement is delivered.

Valentine's day always seems like a forced holiday to me. But I do know she likes the attention from her co-workers and students when a flower arrangement is delivered.
i agree that it does seem like a forced holiday, but it also makes for a great excuse to have an otherwise hard to do date. but that's also why we normally wait a day or two for it.

My wife doesn't like to spend money. She's kind of like the Scrooge McDuck of our household, but it's ok because she's reallllllllly good at keeping us organized and paying the bills haha! So we usually don't do much for Valentine's day as far as gifts go, but we always try to go out for a nice dinner and have a night to ourselves.

Several years ago my wife and I decided to not bow to the invented holiday of Valentines Day. It's guilt driven. Say your wife works in an office, well if she's the only one that doesn't get flowers she would feel terrible so what does a good husband do? He makes sure she gets flowers because he loves her and doesn't want her to be embarrassed. See how that works? Neither wanted the flowers really, but you sorta have to do it because the holiday dictates it.

Instead, we committed to showing each other every day how much we love each other through the little things. There are small normal things we do for each other every day that say more than a one day showing. We truly got sick of seeing couples that treated each other terrible throughout the year and then posted all this gushy stuff online for Valentines Day. We don't do Facebook anymore, but when we did I remember reading a post over my wife's shoulder of this wife touting how great a husband she had and I said "Hey. wait a minute, didn't she try to leave him 2 weeks ago?" and my wife confirmed she indeed had tried to leave the guy and the kids 2 weeks prior. Huh?

With that said, we do rent a movie and spend time together. We feel doubly secure in our marriage and don't need one day a year to throw hundreds of dollars to retailers. That money can be put to better use.

Well flowers will be dropped off today for my wife at her school. I wasn't going to pay the delivery fee for the 14th so the 13th will have to do.

I ordered them last week. First off flowers this time of year are already ridiculously priced! Plus I have an out.

Shipping difference was $15 more. Well her school is out tomorrow because of Parent Teacher conferences this week. So... "babe I had them delivered the day before because no one will be there to see them on Friday

Anyone want to pitch in and sent flowers from "da boyz" on the actual day? :LOL:

I ordered them last week. First off flowers this time of year are already ridiculously priced! Plus I have an out.

Shipping difference was $15 more. Well her school is out tomorrow because of Parent Teacher conferences this week. So... "babe I had them delivered the day before because no one will be there to see them on Friday
So your wife didn't have to wait until TOMORROW? :unsure:

Back