The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Your best shave challenge!

NurseDave

“Stefan’s Glitterbomb King”
Legacy
First Responder
Concierge
Ok, with all this dollar store and bad blade stuff floating around, I wanted to hear about some good shaves!

Yes, you can just post your answers to these. Better yet, do two SOTDs and post those. And for the most Cadre points ever, do a video of each of these of course!

#1 What is the shave that gives you the best results possible? I'm looking for that sweet spot of the smoothest shave paired with the least irritation. Lets call this your date night shave.

#2 What sounds like it is the best shave? What would you shave with if you were picking your top end razor? The brush that should impress everyone, and your soap that is most in demand or revered? Lets call this your extravagant shave.

Yikes, my previous post didn't come across how I meant it. Let me try again.
My date night setup and my extravagant would be the same for me:
Razor - Canadian Gillette Tech
Blade - Derby Premium
Brush - Rudy Vey synthetic
Soap - Stirling
Aftershave - 50/50 witch hazel/Superior 70 Bay rum

Well look at Mr. Romance. Every night is date night at the Aaron household ?

Date night shave--smoothest & best shave with the least irritation:
-Rockwell 6c
-GSB blade
-24mm PAA Starcraft synthetic brush
-B&M Reserve Lavender soap & AS

Extravagant shave--high end gear that provides the smoothest & best irritation free shave while adding a luxury element:
-Raw Shaving RS10 razor
-GSB blade
-TSC anniversary brush (Cashmere)
-A&E Signature soap & AS

Date Shave:

Gillette Tech
Gillette 5 o’clock black
Sterling Iced Pineapple soap and a/s
Maggard synthetic

Extravagant Shave:

CVH MK*32
SF Opuntia soap and a/s
Sorrentino Legacy brush

These could be used interchangeably. As are both much beloved.

hmmmm.....

Date night shave:

Razor/blade: Karve D Plate (Perma Sharp Stainless) -OR- Blackland Vector (Feather Professional)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers 25mm Blackwolf
Soap and Aftershave: Stirling Piacenza soap and AS splash
Additional Post shave and frag: A&E Post Shave Serum + Ferragamo Acqua Essenzialle Colonia (1 x vasilli infused, and 1 x vasilli on the neck/shirt collar)

Extravagant Shave:

Strop: Kanayama 3122
Razor: JMP Filarmonica 14 Doble Temple 8/8
Brush: Paladin Manic Depression 28mm El Dorado
Soap and Aftershave: CBL Soaps Ghost California Sunrise and Paladin Unscented Balm infused with frag
Frag: Amouage Sunshine Man EdP

Date night shave--smoothest & best shave with the least irritation:
-Rockwell 6c Plate 5
-Pol Silver SI blade
-Paladin 26 mm Beehive LE Honey Noir
-Ariana & Evans Revolution Soap & AS

Extravagant shave--high end gear that provides the smoothest & best irritation free shave while adding a luxury element:
-Timeless SS .68 Open Comb
-Pol Silver SI blade
-Shavemac Ebonite 2 Band Silvertip
-Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary Soap and Splash
-Chocolate/Peanut Butter Buckeye Truffles

Shoot, I may have to make these my next 2 shaves except using the Sputnik blade....

Date Shave:

Gillette Tech
Gillette 5 o’clock black
Sterling Iced Pineapple soap and a/s
Maggard synthetic

Extravagant Shave:

CVH MK*32
SF Opuntia soap and a/s
Sorrentino Legacy brush

These could be used interchangeably. As are both much beloved.
Had to google the CVH MK*32 and I guess this was a Straight Razor and not the Carburetor it showed ? ?

Had to google the CVH MK*32 and I guess this was a Straight Razor and not the Carburetor it showed ? ?

Not sure if Arne is going to jump in here, but here's what I know about C.V. Heljestrand razors and the Mk*32...interesting stuff.

A somewhat rare Swedish Razor produced by C.V. Heljestrand (Carl Viktor Heljestrand, b. 1816-1861, company est. 1876-1980, Eskilstuna, Sweden by his son and grandson). The MK 32 is the middle brother of the more coveted C.V. Heljestrand MK thumb notched razor family, being sandwiched by the larger and extremely rare MK 33, the smaller 5/8-11/16" MK 31 (I have two of these), the 4/8-9/16" MK30 and smallest (>4/8" razors) MK 29. It's normally between an 11/16" and 13/16", full hollow ground, with a muted square point and jimped thumb notch. Typically they're found in ivory, plastic or ebonite scales, but are also found (VERY rarely) in tortoise, or intricate scales. If you have original scale material, anything in ivory is typically pre-1950. Ebonite is found back until about 1910, while Tortoise was mainly done between 1905-1930. Here are a couple examples below.

Figured scales (silver, gold and brass inlay work)

Tortoise scales

Ivory scales

Here's a MK*33 in plastic scales

Sorry if it came off preachy...it's not intentional at all!

Not sure if Arne is going to jump in here, but here's what I know about C.V. Heljestrand razors and the Mk*32...interesting stuff.

A somewhat rare Swedish Razor produced by C.V. Heljestrand (Carl Viktor Heljestrand, b. 1816-1861, company est. 1876-1980, Eskilstuna, Sweden by his son and grandson). The MK 32 is the middle brother of the more coveted C.V. Heljestrand MK thumb notched razor family, being sandwiched by the larger and extremely rare MK 33, the smaller 5/8-11/16" MK 31 (I have two of these), the 4/8-9/16" MK30 and smallest (>4/8" razors) MK 29. It's normally between an 11/16" and 13/16", full hollow ground, with a muted square point and jimped thumb notch. Typically they're found in ivory, plastic or ebonite scales, but are also found (VERY rarely) in tortoise, or intricate scales. If you have original scale material, anything in ivory is typically pre-1950. Ebonite is found back until about 1910, while Tortoise was mainly done between 1905-1930. Here are a couple examples below.

Figured scales (silver, gold and brass inlay
Ivory scales

Here's a MK*33 in plastic scales

Sorry if it came off preachy...it's not intentional at all!

Mine is like this one, with the plastic scales. (You guys probably though I would say the Klas Tornblom!)

Honestly, I don’t know how to respond to this.

Best results possible? This is ever changing and doesn’t exist as one set of hardware/software for me.

Most luxurious? I know I already covered this before in my videos.

But, I’m enjoying reading the responses here!

Is there a category for best "Watching Stand Up Comedy Specials On Netflix And Drinking Bourbon While The Wife And Dog Are Passed Out Next To You On The Couch"?

Back