The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

WIFI Booster?

Fenster

"O a'u o le ULU Matai"
Concierge
I switched providers a while back and am content with my service, but I don't get as much range on the WiFi as before. Will a WiFi booster help me extend the range so I can get a better signal in the garage and backyard like I used to get with the old service. Any advice and brand/model recommendations are welcome.

I already have done some research and I will do more but I'm looking for people's personal experiences.

Last edited:
NETGEAR EAX20 is what I use (also goes by other names but this search will find it).
1653848553586.png

It will mesh rather than be a booster. This means that the device will "pass" to the strongest signal device rather than simply just maintaining the one you connected to (and switching only when the signal drops).

Both 5 GHz as well as being backwards compatible with the older 2.4 GHz. The older 2.4 provides greater distance coverage for backyards and such, so that's a bonus. NOTE: It will not switch between 2.4 and 5 but will switch between routers and other mesh devices WITHIN the same GHz range (i.e. same network name)

If you are using the WiFi router provided by your new provider (most likely at an additional cost/mo) you might consider buying your own WiFi router, one that is capable of better range. I have Spectrum and was paying $5/mo for the privilege of using their ‘free’ router. The performance was pathetic and getting worse, the only benefit (if you can call it that) was that when I called to complain or have them troubleshoot they were able/willing to work their tech-magic on the router at the same time as everything else. I suspect my “power cycling” the equipment was the answer but they disagreed. I bought a $60 router, followed the quick setup instructions and Bobs your uncle…I’m in business and saving $5 a month. I was able to unplug the WiFi extenders I was using (they provided a minimal amount of help)and have the coverage I need.

I did the same at my office but interesting enough the coverage is far less impressive. The main difference in the set up is at my home the router is placed quite high with several feet of unimpeded space around it, while at the office the router is tucked under a desk in the center of the office complex.

I just replaced the modem/router installed by our cable company with a NETGEAR cable modem and a reconditioned NETGEAR Orbi dual-network router and satellite. Easy set up, and it works well. Amazon sells reconditioned Orbi routers with 1 or 2 satellites, depending on how much area you want to cover. Even though it was adverstised as reconditioned, it looked new to me.

I would manipulate placement first. If this does not resolve issue, consider purchasing your own router. I get all my tech stuff here. I don’t know how far your garage and backyard is from your router placement but it seemed to work well with your old router so I am not sure if you need satellites. Good luck.

I'd try a new router first might not be good enough. I know when I went fiber I had to get a specific router.

Also will this new internet prevent frozen gerry on zoom calls?

There are a number of good mesh Wi-Fi systems out there now, that are pretty much made for this scenario.
We just got a Huawei Mesh 3 and it’s been fantastic, a huge upgrade from our former.
TBH just one of them is much more powerful than the one we got from our IP. And that may already be enough for your situation.
As others have said, where you put the routers, even how you orient it, can have an impact on the signal spread.

In any case, the base router should be the first thing you look at since your old one did the job. Exending a poor router probably isn’t the best option.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for all the advice and input. I will try moving the current router to see if that helps before I buy any extenders or mesh systems.

Back