The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Why doesn't it perform for me?

Spider said:
I've wondered the same thing.
Spider said:
It definitely produces a different type of lather than we are used to with most soaps. I'll take a break from my current tests, and play around with it and see if I can give you any tips. (It's been a while since I've actually used it).

I get a good lather just whats in the bowl disappears between passes. I cant explain it.

DocHoliday0831 said:
I get a good lather just whats in the bowl disappears between passes. I cant explain it.

Try face lathering. Here's what I did this morning. Worked great. Wet my brush, then mostly shook out. Loaded for about 15-20 seconds, added about a tsp of water to the tin and loaded for another 15-20 seconds, then added another tsp of water and swirled around again on the puck for 15-20 seconds. By that time I had a nice dense (but not volumous) lather on my brush. I swirled on my face and added a few drops of water at a time until it was perfect.

I don't think I've ever tried to build a big lather with this soap in a bowl or mug. But I don't think it makes that kind of lather easily. It's more of a thick gel-like consistency.

At this point I don't even remember how to bowl lather? For years I'm face lathering everything and I almost always have great results. Plus sometimes lather seems perfect but I can feel thrue my face that it's not and can corect it before a blade comes.

I want my soaps to make a slick, unctuous, wonderfully scented lather that provides slickness, has residual slickness, and leave my face feeling wonderful. I don't ask for much, lol.

For me, Stirling, MW, Mike's, etc. all get the job done and then some. I also have been enjoying Sudsy Soapery, although the appearance of the lather is airier than the others. Also the about to arrive Soapy Science, which makes a lather pretty similar to Sudsy Soapery that shaves great.

Scent is a really important aspect for me, and I really enjoy mostly citrus and floral scents.

It's more of a thick gel-like consistency.

I always thought that was a lot of peoples problem with MW. They are looking for that fluffy lather a lot of soaps make, but they aren't going to get that from MW. It is a thick glossy lather.

I can definitely add one for vegan/tallow, but for a different reason. I shy away from vegan because they just don't seem to work well for me at all. Prorasso red has to be the worst performing soap on my face that I have ever tried. Absolutely no protection or glide no matter how I mix it up.
Other great soaps are the same way. SV, SS, Pana Crema... They don't irritate on their own, but offer so little protection, I'd have been just as well off not using soap at all. Pana Crema, I can use the cheaper tallow line, and it works great, but the expensive Nuavia line that is non-tallow gives me a miserable shave.

Great discussion gents! Glad this got brought back up, I missed it otherwise.

All I care about for lather is slickness and scent. I face lather with a synth and it can have its challenges at times. Synths, as I’m sure you are all aware, are different beasts from their true hair bretheren. A good synth can do a great job building lather in any condition, but when face lathering I feel the challenge is increased due to how evenly synths spread the lather on your skin. It could be irritating for hothouse who like thicker layers of lather and it’s more difficult to judge consistency IMO; I do love my Big Bruce though.

So far, with all the soaps I’ve tried (less than 20 in total at this time, I know...weaksauce) I’ve fortunately had what I would deem to be success with each one. Some took longer (read more shaves) than others to dial in, such as DR Harris Sandalwood, others were intuitive for me from the first go, like Proraso Green. My current “challenge” soap is Grooming Department: Yuzu. With its vegan base, I could just not get it the first time around like I could the others. Yet I know that given some time to work with it (eventually), it can be figured out.

I don't seem to have much of a problem lathering most soaps. As Chad said earlier, I can even get a decent lather from Col. Conk. I prefer to face lather but I have been doing a good bit of bowl lathering lately too. I will that water makes a huge difference. I can't say whether it is the softness or hardness of water, or if it is some other reason such as minerals other than metals, or the types of water processing it goes through. The water we have in the Metro Baton Rouge area actually comes from aquifirs that reach up to 3000 feet below sea level. The recharge areas are in the Natchez, MS area (about a 100 miles), which basically means that water that the Baton Rouge Metro area drinks and uses hit the soil through rain around 2000 years ago. Anyway...I think there is more of a relation to shaving and the water that we use than just the hardness or softness of water.

I don't seem to have much of a problem lathering most soaps. As Chad said earlier, I can even get a decent lather from Col. Conk. I prefer to face lather but I have been doing a good bit of bowl lathering lately too. I will that water makes a huge difference. I can't say whether it is the softness or hardness of water, or if it is some other reason such as minerals other than metals, or the types of water processing it goes through. The water we have in the Metro Baton Rouge area actually comes from aquifirs that reach up to 3000 feet below sea level. The recharge areas are in the Natchez, MS area (about a 100 miles), which basically means that water that the Baton Rouge Metro area drinks and uses hit the soil through rain around 2000 years ago. Anyway...I think there is more of a relation to shaving and the water that we use than just the hardness or softness of water.
All I know is, with the craze in bottled water, I bet you could market that stuff. Earth's Bossum Water, 20 centuries in the making.

Good post, Josh. I do have a price point I don't like to exceed: max is closer to $15 than it is to $20. And those had better be the best soaps ever. I love Mike's, and Fine is great too. I can pay more for others, but I get great lather from these. Local Gent is a new favorite, I love their Tobacco Lounge scent.

From your excellent list, I look for scent profile and strength, slickness, cushion, latherability, overall cost, and tallow, only tallow.

Back